Apple eyeing electric car production by 2020, report says

Comments

• Reply 101 of 295
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Then why doesn't Appe stop the insanity? They could shut everybody up in seconds with a "leak" to WSJ or Re/Code or whoever smacking down these rumors. Why is Apple allowing them to persist?

I suppose it's not so easy when they're true is it?
  • Reply 102 of 295
    This is from the New Yorker profile on Jony Ive. It's towards the very end when he's touring the new Apple campus and discussing his involvement with it.
    Are we really supposed to believe Ive has the bandwidth mentally or physically to help bring a car to market in 5 years? That's nuts.

He was tried and sick and is taking three weeks off. He's human. Humans get tired and sick. He'll be fine. Chill.
  • Reply 103 of 295
    That's a proportionally tiny trunk for such a large car.

Even when you're wrong you're right. Give it a rest.
  • Reply 104 of 295
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    [quote]The 2014 Tesla Model S has 26.3 cubic feet of cargo space, which is quite large for the class. With the second-row seats folded, cargo space expands to 58.1 cubic feet. The Model S also has 5.3 cubic feet of cargo space under the hood. A power liftgate is optional. Reviewers note that the 2014 Model S has an outstanding amount of cargo space for the class, though some point out that the cabin could use more storage spaces for small items.[/quote]
    http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Tesla_Model-S/Interior/

Benjamin Frost once again proving that he doesn't have a goddamn clue what he's talking about.
  • Reply 105 of 295
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

As Andy Ihnatko said just a few days ago, we're more likely to see an Apple television before we see an Apple Car.

Clever guy but he doesn't know all.

Apple needs a truly compelling TV contract deal so they can subsidise the kind of TV product they'd love to produce. But the problem is the content owners are reluctant to give Apple that kind of control. Cars are a very difficult market, but don't suffer quite the same barrier to entry as the television hardware market does for Apple. Electricity has no copyright. Not saying it's easy, it's obviously very difficult. But until Apple can ink a broad-sweeping TV content deal their television hardware product is a virtual impossibility. The kind of TV Apple would produce would cost ~$1,299 unsubsidised and the market Apple would be going after just wouldn't be there for that.
  • Reply 106 of 295
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    1) Did I say I can't stand podcasts. I suppose if you edited my comment to read, "Honestly, I can't stand any […] podcasts," it would read that way, but that would be disingenuous on your part. As I clearly stated, I'm not a big fan. There are only a couple I listen to, and even those are sparingly.

2) I'm not saying that there isn't truthful or good information in the podcast, but show me a podcast that doesn't already have all the relevant info about tech rumours in an article. Chances are they are just speculating on what they read.

3) Again, the statement you stand by is fucking ridiculous because it's obvious Apple could leak info if they wanted. The difference is there is no evidence to support your absolute claims that they do or your myopic view that Apple should let us know about all rumours that aren't true, which would then mean all they don't denounce are true. Remember when they used to send cease and desist letters to websites for posting images of unreleased products? I do, and I'm guessing they stopped doing that years ago for very simple and obvious reasons.

I'm not suggesting Apple should be whispering in somebody's ear over every rumor that comes out. But Apple building a car by 2020 isn't just any rumor. Thats a pretty big fucking deal.
  • Reply 107 of 295
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    You're way off base on gruber. I read all his posts, tweets, and listened to all his podcasts. The origin of the "joke" stuff was his sarcastic comment about some other crappy android watch, that it would be funny if it didn't even come out before apple's. For whatevwe reason people inferred that he knew when it was coming. He didn't and said so. He's stated time and time again that he has little birdies but that Apple itself doesn't leak to him special secrets, just early review models like everyone else.

So you can remove gruber from your list.

Fine. But I'm not removing Dalrymple from my list. He doesn't just pull these "nope's" out of his rear end and I have yet to come across a "nope" that turned out to be a "yep".
  • Reply 108 of 295
    dasanman69 wrote: »

Do you not think Tesla can do a good enough job developing an electric car? What can Apple do differently?

For starters, give us iOS in the car?
  • Reply 109 of 295

Where have I been deathly silent on this thread? And what the hell is inflammatory about suggesting that Apple sometimes leaks to the media? I'm surprised anyone here finds that shocking.

I don't understand all the angst either. Of course Apple plays the media like anyone does. I certainly hope so. They'd be foolish, and it would be weird/unusual on their part, not to.
  • Reply 110 of 295
    mpantone wrote: »

Nope on both scenarios; neither instance proves that Apple fed these two information.

Many of us here have previously called you out before on your inability to provide suitable evidence for your inane "theories" and now you are finally reacting, although ineptly.

Remember, most rumors end up being false, so if Dalrymple says "nope" to any given Apple TV rumor (or any other Apple-related rumor for that matter), he will most likely be correct.

That's why Dalrymple's "yeps" are amusing. They are usually correct, but almost exclusively for points that are essentially meaningless, like media event dates, most of which are restricted to certain timeframes and dates anyhow based on fiscal quarters, development cycles, etc.

Gruber has a more confident public demeanor, but it doesn't mean he knows anything more than any other hack. Touch ID had already been around since the iPhone 5S, so it is only logical that Apple would be working on NFC payments (which had been widely rumored for months prior to the iPhone 6/6 Plus launch).

Dalrymple is essentially a reporter; he doesn't speculate much. Gruber is a blogger, he speculates all the time.

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">You are going to have to do better than that, Rogifan. You're not an *ANAL*yst like Gene Munster.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Your posts are not just viewed by skepticism by me. Others have also taken you to task, and you have never shown any real ability to stand by major points that you make in these forums. You have devalued your own voice based on your inability to back up what you write.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Worse, you are </span>
    reacting poorly to highly pointed criticism, and offering even more atrocious responses.

But hey, feel free to go nuts. Or you can just shut down, just like you usually do at some point.

Your call.

There's nothing inane about suggesting Apple sometimes leaks to the media. I can't even believe that's causing an argument here. Other than people just want to be dicks. But hey, feel free to put me on ignore and then you don't have to be bothered by inane posts. :)
  • Reply 111 of 295
    I don't understand all the angst either. Of course Apple plays the media like anyone does. I certainly hope so. They'd be foolish, and it would be weird/unusual on their part, not to.

Read just about any rumor from John Paczkowski in the last year or two and most if not all were pretty much dead on. So either he's got really good sources outside of Apple that just happen to know exactly what Apple is doing, employees inside Apple risking their jobs by leaking to him or Apple PR feeding stuff to him via "anonymous sources" or "people familiar with the matter".
  • Reply 112 of 295
    Ugh. Can we stop hijacking this thread with a pointless argument.

Apple most probably leaks strategically. We have no clue whether they did not or not in this case, but as sog35 and Rogifan pointed out, the fact that some major media outlets are into it suggests some sort of information coordination. The use of a phrase such as 'two people with knowledge' (both the WSJ and the NYT typically require at least two sources before they run with a story) suggests something is afoot. It's of course a hunch on my part, but that seems to be the most plausible explanation.

It's quite possible that Apple is playing some mind games. But not clear with whom or why.
  • Reply 113 of 295
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

The stakes may be too high even for Apple. We know how people gin up unreasonable expectations for regular Apple products. Just imagine how out of control it would be for a car. Seems like a good way for Apple to hurt themselves.

Couldn't disagree more. What's the alternate only enter "safe" new markets? That's a recipe for disaster. Apple is just as aware of this as you are. The stakes were just as high with the watch, the iPad and the iPhone. The car is like any other complex product for Apple and one that they will only release if it meets their standards. There's lots of car guys at Apple including Ive and Cue and Newson and Schiller. The bigger the risk the larger the reward. Don't think Apple will shy away from this for the reasons you've mentioned. If there's one thing Apple isn't it's risk-averse.

• Reply 114 of 295
    If nothing else, these rumors could provoke the right level of panic in carmakers to stimulate them to develop more aggressively innovative and efficient car products.
  • Reply 115 of 295
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

First it was the Financial Times. Then the Wall Street Journal. Now the New York Times is reporting on this, citing "two people with knowledge of the company's plans".

There may be something here.....

And Bloomberg and Reuters and 9to5 and Gruber linked to someone saying the same thing.

• Reply 116 of 295
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Do you not think Tesla can do a good enough job developing an electric car? What can Apple do differently?

They can design it. The can make it cost less than Tesla can thanks to their massive leverage and being the best operators of any company on the planet. They can make the interior be less ugly; seriously that 17" display in the model S is nothing short of inelegant and the software itself looks like Windows mobile. I'm confident Apple could design a better car. Will they release one is another question.

• Reply 117 of 295
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

Although I do think Apple is building a vehicle, you have to wonder how much money they make from these rumours. When their stock goes up 1%, it more than pays for all those buildings and the 1000 people working on this project. Perhaps controlled leaks are part of the business strategy to raise the stock price.

This is certainly not how Apple operates.

• Reply 118 of 295
    In FY2014 Apple's net sales were $182B. As someone on MacRumors pointed out, if you look at the top 500 companies in the world the top revenue generators come from basically 4 sectors: energy, financials/insurance, automotive and telecom. Look at the Forbes 2000 list and the top companies by revenue (excluding Apple) are Walmart, Warren Buffets Berkshire Hathaway, oil companies and automotive. What sustains or grows Apple's huge revenue base after iPhone? Does Apple want to get into the telecom business or become a bank? Or can PC's and smartphones continue to sustain and grow Apple's revenues 5, 10, 20 years down the road?
  • Reply 119 of 295
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

So some random YouTube channel is an credible media source?

(sigh)

It's not some random channel btw.

• Reply 120 of 295
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I’m sorry, why are we still repeating this nonsense when we have proof the cars are just for mapping?

Photographs of Apple mapping vehicles is not proof Apple is not researching building a car.