Apple reportedly in talks to build $1.7B plant in partnership with Japan Display

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,276member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I was surprised that none of the iPods were updated last year. They had moved to a 2-year cycle, but I think updating this year will be the 3rd year.
    I think Apple has given up on iPod and the Touch. It is a shame really. It is one of those things where their. Actions assure projections. By that I mean sales tank while hardware starts to age badly. Touch should have went 64 bit last year with enough flash to solve anybodies music storage needs.
    If they update the iPod Touch with a 4.7" and/or 5.5" option with most of the 2014 iPhone specs they could potentially keep decent margins, but are there even enough buyers to warrant the effort? Macs accounted for more than double that of iPod sale for the fiscal year ending 2014, and in 2015 the iPod segment was gone.
    Well one thing is certain, nobody with any sense would buy today's iPod Touch. As I said Apple believes the MP3 music player industry is done and by not updating any of the iPods they pretty much make sure that is the case. I wouldn't be surprised to find that the lack of iPod sales has also been a factor in music sales declines.

In any event a lot of people like me really wanted to see Touch updated for other reasons. If I wanted to listen to music I'd turn the radio on.
    i think you may be right about music sales falling because of less decpdicated hardware sales. Also that you would have to be a numpty to buy an iPod touch at those prices with that hardware.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    I think Apple has given up on iPod and the Touch. It is a shame really. It is one of those things where their. Actions assure projections. By that I mean sales tank while hardware starts to age badly. Touch should have went 64 bit last year with enough flash to solve anybodies music storage needs.
    Well one thing is certain, nobody with any sense would buy today's iPod Touch. As I said Apple believes the MP3 music player industry is done and by not updating any of the iPods they pretty much make sure that is the case. I wouldn't be surprised to find that the lack of iPod sales has also been a factor in music sales declines.

In any event a lot of people like me really wanted to see Touch updated for other reasons. If I wanted to listen to music I'd turn the radio on.

There is good reason to believe, based on this story and a few others, that the supply of displays has been a constraint on iPhone production for Apple, and therefore rolling out a newer iPod touch with what would have to be a larger screen would be a foolish distraction for them until this problem is solved.

LTPS production is said to be tricky, I read somewhere. I wouldn't know anything about it though.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    slprescott wrote: »
    How do these panels relate to Apple's use of Gorilla Glass (or even possible sapphire in the future?). Are they both involved, just at different layers of the stack?

Gorilla Glass will be replaced with Godzilla Glass.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Oh, Apple are not going to be using Samsung? What a shame ... /s

Considering they make the best displays out there, it is a shame.