AppleInsider podcast discusses Apple Car rumors, Apple Watch pricing, Apple Pay & Sony

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2015

This week's all-new AppleInsider podcast is now available to download and subscribe in iTunes or SoundCloud, with detailed analysis of this week's news, including: Apple Car rumors, Apple Watch pricing, new FAA proposed drone regulations, Modern Family films an entire episode on iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2, Apple Pay, Sony and more.

This week, AppleInsider staff member Mikey Campbell, Victor Marks and Stephen Robles discuss the top stories:

• Apple Car rumors

• Apple mini-van project

• Apple Watch pricing

• FAA proposed drone regulations

• Modern family episode recorded with iOS devices

• Apple TV

• Sony

The show is available on Apple's iTunes. You can listen to the podcast and subscribe via this link:

You can also listen to it embedded via SoundCloud below:

Show note links:

Hosts: @mikeycampbell81, @vmarks and @stephenrobles

We'd appreciate your feedback and comments, as well as any questions that we can answer on future episodes. Send your responses to the AppleInsider Podcast at [email protected] or follow or tweet at us @appleinsider.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Another highly enjoyable podcast. Thanks Mikey, Victor and Stephen.

To my English ears, Victor's accent and style of speaking remind me just a little of Steve Jobs. That may be taken as a compliment. ????

If I were being deeply cynical, I would postulate that the Apple Car rumours are overshadowing the Apple Watch, because Apple realise that the Watch is just not going to wow us.

I feel that a hybrid would be the best kind of car for Apple to develop, but it does seem a flight of fancy to believe that Apple are really developing a whole car.

I liked the thoughts on Sony. It's strange how they went off the rails. You would think that they would have owned the MP3 player market after the Walkman, but no, they lost their focus.

I'd love you to discuss a bigger iPad and what your views are on a physical keyboard cover for it. I think a 13" iPad with an ultra-slim physical keyboard embedded into a Smart Cover would be pretty sweet.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    stephenroblesstephenrobles Posts: 91member, moderator, editor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Another highly enjoyable podcast. Thanks Mikey, Victor and Stephen.

To my English ears, Victor's accent and style of speaking remind me just a little of Steve Jobs. That may be taken as a compliment. ????

If I were being deeply cynical, I would postulate that the Apple Car rumours are overshadowing the Apple Watch, because Apple realise that the Watch is just not going to wow us.

I feel that a hybrid would be the best kind of car for Apple to develop, but it does seem a flight of fancy to believe that Apple are really developing a whole car.

I liked the thoughts on Sony. It's strange how they went off the rails. You would think that they would have owned the MP3 player market after the Walkman, but no, they lost their focus.

I'd love you to discuss a bigger iPad and what your views are on a physical keyboard cover for it. I think a 13" iPad with an ultra-slim physical keyboard embedded into a Smart Cover would be pretty sweet.

Thanks Benjamin, we'll try to work the largest iPad discussion in soon!

• Reply 3 of 17

Thanks Benjamin, we'll try to work the largest iPad discussion in soon!
    No Daniel on this podcast Stephen?
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

No Daniel on this podcast Stephen?

Daniel has been traveling, but we'll try to get him on the show again soon.

• Reply 5 of 17
    [@]stephenrobles[/@], I'm curious about your setup. Do you do each connect remotely with one or more of you recording the conversation, or do you all travel to the same location to conduct these podcasts?
  • Reply 6 of 17
    solipsismy wrote: »
    [@]stephenrobles[/@], I'm curious about your setup. Do you do each connect remotely with one or more of you recording the conversation, or do you all travel to the same location to conduct these podcasts?

Skype call and we each record our end.
  • Reply 7 of 17

I've listened to about 10 minutes so far and it's pretty good. Good job, folks. Keep making these.

• Reply 8 of 17
    I've listened to about 10 minutes so far and it's pretty good. Good job, folks. Keep making these.

Thanks, we certainly will!
  • Reply 9 of 17

On your recommendation I'll give it a go, although I'm typically not too thrilled to hear others talk bout tech in a closed conversation, which may explain why I find AI's forums such a great place to build upon ideas.

edit: Robles has a great talk radio style voice.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Fantastic podcast. I think it's my new favorite Apple related podcast, and might become the best feature of this website. Nice to listen to a podcast by people who are all highly passionate, insightful and knowledgeable about Apple, which leaves out stupid bullshit. 

• Reply 11 of 17
    slurpy wrote: »
    Fantastic podcast. I think it's my new favorite Apple related podcast, and might become the best feature of this website. Nice to listen to a podcast by people who are all highly passionate, insightful and knowledgeable about Apple, which leaves out stupid bullshit. 

Agreed.

It reflects the ethos of the forum posters and writers for AI and also complements them nicely.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    solipsismy wrote: »
    On your recommendation I'll give it a go, although I'm typically not too thrilled to hear others talk bout tech in a closed conversation, which may explain why I find AI's forums such a great place to build upon ideas.

edit: Robles has a great talk radio style voice.

Thanks, we'll try to keep it interesting. We also want to incorporate questions / ideas from everyone here in forums, on Twitter, etc., so let us know what you'd like to hear discussed!
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Mikey Campbell's deep voice surprised me.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Great podcast, I wouldn't mind if you wanted to make it 45 minutes instead of 30 so you cover more topics.
    Everyone is articulate and the topics are good.

I agree with LVM's assessment of what's wrong with Sony. Poor Sony, they seem to be going through their "Michael Spindler" phase: leadership making ineffective decisions in order to stop their tailspin. And they've forgotten what made the Sony brand such a force in consumer electronics in the 80s. Don't get me wrong: they still make some good stuff: some nice digital cameras and sensors, a very competitive living room game console, and solid TVs and Pro audio products. But they also put their name on cheap, plasticky clock radios, and various Radio Shack quality portable audio products for the low end of the market--and for what? Someone posted that Apple had "ceded" the low end of the smartphone market (they never had it) as if it was a terrible thing, but that leaves Apple able to focus on conquering the most profitable segment of the market. Yet, there is Sony, covering all the bases, for example: trying to sell high-end XBR TVs as well as $400 sets to compete with cheaper Korean and Chinese flat screens. No wonder they're not making money on TVs. They've diluted the brand in that market. And if Apple had entered the TV market...well for one thing, they probably would have shown Sony how it is possible to make profits selling high-end TVs. If any company could, it would be Apple. And the Android glasses seems completely out of place. If Sony leadership had some product guy like Steve Jobs in charge, they would axe unprofitable [I]products,[/I] not dump entire business units--unless they were businesses Sony no longer gave a damn about.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Mikey Campbell's deep voice surprised me.

That makes two of us.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stephenrobles View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

@stephenrobles, I'm curious about your setup. Do you do each connect remotely with one or more of you recording the conversation, or do you all travel to the same location to conduct these podcasts?

Skype call and we each record our end.

Skype? Why not Facetime? I normally use Skype because I work with a lot of Windows clients but I would think an all Mac crowd would use Facetime instead of a Microsoft solution. Skype works well but why not use an Apple technology since we are an Apple forum?

Oh, I just Googled it. Facetime apparently does not do conference calls.

• Reply 17 of 17
    mstone wrote: »
    Skype? Why not Facetime? I normally use Skype because I work with a lot of Windows clients but I would think an all Mac crowd would use Facetime instead of a Microsoft solution. Skype works well but why not use an Apple technology since we are an Apple forum?

Oh, I just Googled it. Facetime apparently does not do conference calls.

Exactly.