Apple, AOL ending iTunes login partnership, users must migrate to Apple ID by March 31

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    sflocal wrote: »

I had all my iTunes activity (purchases, movies, etc..) tied to my MobileMe account.  I could not transfer those purchases to the new, mandatory AppleID account I had to get.  I do recall an online-chat with Apple about this problem when the MobileMe shutdown was about to occur, and their answer was "Sorry, you can't transfer your purchases."

So I understood that by migrating your MobileMe account, it would become your iCloud.com account/Apple ID. For example, if you were [email protected] you would become [email protected]. After migrating, you have one account with two aliases (three, if you migrated from .mac). Your [email protected] would still work for all purchases AND--this part isn't explained very clearly--you can use it as an alias for [email protected]. In other words, you could use your old MobileMe account name as your Apple ID. While it's technically not "transferring" your MobileMe purchases anywhere (something Apple cannot do), it's really making your MobileMe login work as your Apple ID. Underneath it is just one account, one password.

See: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201815

Does that solve your issue, or did you want to do something different?
  • Reply 22 of 28

Say what?  I didn't know we could login with our aol credentials! 

• Reply 23 of 28
    I got an AOL email in the mid-1990s and it is still my primary email address. I've never seen a reason to change it. For many years I've used Apple mail and login with my Apple ID, never used AOL for login. If I were starting today, I'd use gmail. But just because I have an AOL address doesn't mean I use dial-up or the AOL web browser or anything odd like that.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    williamh wrote: »
    Actually, about all the senior citizens I know are using AOHell.  Many of them don't seem to know they can access it through a web browser and use that horrible client too.

Back in 2006 an older man I knew had AOL Internet service. He wanted to switch and he told me "There's supposed to be a way to get all these services without having to pay AOL. if I can find out how I'll leave them!!"

:D

AOL was a huge company in the 90's. they were the google before google. I have no idea what happened.

Anyways I'm really waiting for an Apple email service. Something new and revolutionary. I wanna ditch gmail already but everything else I try is crap.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    If they can do this doesn't that mean they could just as easily allow users to consolidate and/or migrate other iTunes accounts into a single iCloud account?
    This. Please, this.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    If they can do this, doesn't that mean they could just as easily allow users to consolidate and/or migrate other iTunes accounts into a single iCloud account?
    Long time ago in a galaxy far far away I created an Apple ID with non Apple email. I used it to buy music then apps and finally developer account. Then I created MobileMe account and used that for syncing to my iPhone and now iCloud. So basically I have my old Apple ID for iTunes and iCloud ID for other stuff. I really want to migrate purchases from the old Apple ID to iCloud. Tired of having two of them on my iOS devices.
  • Reply 27 of 28

I logged into iTunes using my AOL account for years. More for convenience than anything. Why create yet another account ID when Apple allowed me to simply use my AOL e-mail login? I mean, I still use my 20-year old AOL e-mail address, in much the same way that people keep their cell numbers.

Problem with the setup was that the AOL login became very unreliable with iTunes. Frequently, I would receive an error message that also displayed AOL's customer service number. Since I was no longer a paid AOL dial-up subscriber, I figured it wasn't worth the bother, since I had no idea if the problem was at Apple or AOL's end. Plus, the AOL login only worked on a desktop client. I could never directly download music or app files to an iOS device using an AOL login. I primarily used iTunes on my Mac to handle purchases and updates, but the login reliability kept getting worse.

Things just reached a point where the AOL login became decidedly inconvenient, so I bit the bullet and created an Apple ID. It was somewhat of a pain to move some of the apps over to my Apple ID, and I did lose some game data. But, fortunately most of my apps were freebies, so I just redownloaded them.

• Reply 28 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Long time ago in a galaxy far far away I created an Apple ID with non Apple email. I used it to buy music then apps and finally developer account. Then I created MobileMe account and used that for syncing to my iPhone and now iCloud. So basically I have my old Apple ID for iTunes and iCloud ID for other stuff. I really want to migrate purchases from the old Apple ID to iCloud. Tired of having two of them on my iOS devices.

I have the same issue. I wish Apple would let you combine accounts.