China removes Apple, other US tech companies from approved government purchase lists

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

...Snowden didn't have an issue before it was a Democrat calling the shots. I'm willing to bet that the GOP promised him a pardon and much more if he help the get the white house back.

From what I've read of Snowden, he probably was more likely to support Republicans back when he first joined the military and the intelligence community, but after he was in, it was the Bush administration's practices that disillusioned him. He said he did not vote for Obama, he voted for a third party, but he believed Obama's promises to correct Bush abuses, enough that Snowden waited to disclose the NSA's secrets until Obama had proved to be a disappointment, not only by Obama not undoing's Bush programs but also expanding and institutionalizing practices that were radical when Bush started them.

• Reply 42 of 59
    magic_al wrote: »
    From what I've read of Snowden, he probably was more likely to support Republicans back when he first joined the military and the intelligence community, but after he was in, it was the Bush administration's practices that disillusioned him. He said he did not vote for Obama, he voted for a third party, but he believed Obama's promises to correct Bush abuses, enough that Snowden waited to disclose the NSA's secrets until Obama had proved to be a disappointment, not only by Obama not undoing's Bush programs but also expanding and institutionalizing practices that were radical when Bush started them.

Another reason I respect Snowden: http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3414992
  • Reply 43 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Another reason I respect Snowden: http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3414992

Interesting. Thanks. (Although I think that Ron Paul some very good ideas and is one of the more principled guys in politics, other ideas of his are still extreme or ill-formed, imho -- as a result, I find it difficult to support him).

• Reply 44 of 59
    Interesting. Thanks. (Although I think that Ron Paul some very good ideas and is one of the more principled guys in politics, other ideas of his are still extreme or ill-formed, imho -- as a result, I find it difficult to support him).

I supported him on everything except for his religious views, which were always kept private anyway.
  • Reply 45 of 59
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Of course they did. You can’t spy on your government workers to make sure they toe the Party line when they’re using Apple products.

That was my reaction just reading the title. A real shocker indeed that a paranoid totalitarian police state would ban encrypted communication devices for use by their minions if they can’t have a back door to weed out dissenters. There could be some retaliation backlash from the Huawei deal as well. This news really comes as no surprise except perhaps that it took so long.

• Reply 46 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

This is the right approach. The trick is how to implement it in a way that can keep the price of Apple products from sky rocketing. I know that a good sum supposedly can be saved in the transportation of production from China. Certainly the manufacturing lags can be cut way down which means Apple is more responsive to demand but how do you overcome the cost differential in hiring American workers that want an order of magnitude more per hour than the Chinese are willing to work for?

I am willing to pay a small "Made in America" tax but not twice the price (I have no idea what this factor would be but can only imagine it would be large).

The other concern is I am not really sure China (the govt) really gives a damn if the jobs are lost or not! They do not strike me as a very humanitarian country.

The final assembly labor costs are fairly small (most estimates are in the $5-10 range per unit). Switching just that part to the US would add tens of dollars to Apple's final cost.

However, it probably wouldn't impact shipping all that much – remember most iPhone customers are not in the US anymore. Since Asia is one of the fastest growing markets it may actually _add_ to the shipping costs. And, many parts for the iPhone come from Japan and Korea, so you would have to pay a little more to have those shipped.

Plus, it would probably increase manufacturing lag. A big advantage for China is that there is a lot of co-located suppliers (so you can set parts more quickly and have multiple suppliers) and a huge labor pool (so you can increase or decrease manufacturing more quickly). I've heard estimates that staffing up a Foxconn-iPhone-sized factory in the US would take the better part of a year, while doing it in China takes weeks. In short, if the final assembly labor cost were the only issue, Apple could move to other cheaper countries (e.g. Bangladesh, Vietnam). If labor costs weren't an issue at all, they could move to the US, but it would hurt their flexibility. They are in China because China has a well established supply chain and a flexible manufacturing labor force.

Interesting reading:

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/business/ive-always-wondered/how-much-would-all-american-iphone-cost

• Reply 47 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

What a bunch of fucking idiots. Yes, I'm sure there's US spyware installed on Macs and iOS devices. Yup.  

Quote:

Time to get China kicked out of the WTO.

Because, if you were the Chinese Government, you would not do the same?

Let's ask the question differently... Would you, as the US IT decision maker, put Huawei stock routers in your departments?

Governements security decisions aren't exactly made on the same grounds as the general public's.

Also, the USA government/agencies has/have recently been blamed for several virii, spyware on hard disks, backdoors in OSes and widely used software. As a decision maker, you would be a traitor to not act on it.

• Reply 48 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jony0 View Post

That was my reaction just reading the title. A real shocker indeed that a paranoid totalitarian police state would ban encrypted communication devices for use by their minions if they can’t have a back door to weed out dissenters. There could be some retaliation backlash from the Huawei deal as well. This news really comes as no surprise except perhaps that it took so long.

Yeah, it's likely bizpolitics, but you can't be sure there is no reasonable security doubt at play.

• Reply 49 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

China needs to be launched off to become their own planet. That would solve all of these problems.

Hey, there's plenty of free space in Canada.

• Reply 50 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plovell View Post

Well, you won't find many U.S. Government departments buying routers from Huawei. Works both ways.

It is getting hard to find laptops that weren't made in China though.

Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

You can be sure the U.S. has made multiple efforts towards that--and towards simply keeping back doors for future use. I agree they have probably failed in Apple's case. But is "probably" good enough for a foreign government? I'm appalled by China's Internet policies, but it's also hard not to see a concern re any US or UK company.

Surely people can see that our own government shares at least SOME of the blame here.

Keep in mind that despite the good that Snowden has done by exposing unconstitutional and illegal acts in our own country, there are no Snowdens in Russia or China or North Korea or Iran.

Indeed.

Only Wales has a kind of Snowden: Snowdonia.

• Reply 51 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

You can be sure the U.S. has made multiple efforts towards that--and towards simply keeping back doors for future use. I agree they have probably failed in Apple's case. But is "probably" good enough for a foreign government? I'm appalled by China's Internet policies, but it's also hard not to see a concern re any US or UK company.

Surely people can see that our own government shares at least SOME of the blame here.

Keep in mind that despite the good that Snowden has done by exposing unconstitutional and illegal acts in our own country, there are no Snowdens in Russia or China or North Korea or Iran.

Are you sure there isn't one Snowden in Russia?

Strictly speaking, he's not in Russia.

• Reply 52 of 59
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Maybe not 20% but it WILL be an excuse to punish the stock. Manipulators live for stuff like this to drive down the price so they can start buying.

If AAPL dropped 20% tomorrow, I'd buy every share I could afford with my remaining cash.

I'd sell them today, before they dropped 20%.

• Reply 53 of 59

I wouldn't. I'd continue to add to my positions.
  • Reply 54 of 59

I wouldn't. I'd continue to add to my positions.

Then you'd lose out on 20% profit.
  • Reply 55 of 59

That's assuming the stock wouldn't rise 20% in the future, which is unlikely based on current trends. Also, no profits are gained or lost until a stock is sold.
  • Reply 56 of 59

That's assuming the stock wouldn't rise 20% in the future, which is unlikely based on current trends. Also, no profits are gained or lost until a stock is sold.

If you sell them the day before they drop 20%, then re-buy them at that lower price, you stand to make an extra 20% profit should they then rise again.
  • Reply 57 of 59
    If you sell them the day before they drop 20%, then re-buy them at that lower price, you stand to make an extra 20% profit should they then rise again.

If you develop a foolproof way to determine a stock will drop 20% in advance, I'd like to hear about it...and so would every person holding stocks.
  • Reply 58 of 59

If you develop a foolproof way to determine a stock will drop 20% in advance, I'd like to hear about it...

It’s simple. Find the industry you’re after, cause a terrorist attack that destroys (access to) the resource on which the industry depends, watch the stock plummet, buy it up.

• Reply 59 of 59
    When close to a fifth of Apple's revenues and it's fastest growth, by far, is coming from that country, it seems a bit odd to suggest that the company is 'getting hurt'.

PS: 'Untied' States is perhaps not a bad description! :lol:

Unless you're a fan of Fifty Shades of Grey and want to be in a Tied State. :lol: