Apple's March 9 'Spring Forward' event steals thunder from rivals at Mobile World Congress

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Whether intentionally timed or just a matter of coincidence, Apple's just-announced March 9 event is likely to overshadow the Mobile World Congress mega-conference in Barcelona, which will take place the preceding week.

I don't think Apple really cares what other conferences or media events are going on.

And if you're a journalist and you receive two or more invitations for the same day, but one of them is to attend an Apple announcement, guess which one that person will probably go to?

Wrong-o! Plus this story is not about the events running at the exact same time, it's all about the 800 pound absent gorilla and what Apple may announce shortly after this event. Apple spends no money advertising or attending the Mobile World Congress, yet everyone is talking about them - more possibly than if they were in attendance. The MWC has been promoted for months and Apple throws out a press release a couple weeks before their even... it's no coincidence, it's planning.

• Reply 22 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Am I right in assuming that "Mobile World Congress" is really just Android World Congress at this point?

Absolutely Not.

This is not "Mobile Handset/Device Congress", it is Mobile World Congress. It deals with a lot of things and Devices/Handsets is juts a little part of it. Although Samsung and some other vendors do launch their products here because all mobile operators participate in this event and this is a chance to showcase their products here in front of their biggest clients, the operators. The event do not have any special favor to Android.

It seems the writer have very little idea of what happens in this event.

Before jumping on me, I worked for a Mobile Operators for 12 years and attended this event a number of years. Trust me, mobile devices are not the only thing that is discussed here, a lot other important things are shown, discussed there.

• Reply 23 of 26
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member

Look guys, all the buzz from a tradeshow is gone a week later.

If Apple deliberately wanted to destroy the MWC buzz, they would have scheduled their media event the week of MWC, not the week after.

Apple doesn't care about tradeshow schedules. Remember, they bailed out of all them them years ago, including the now defunct Macworld Expo.

Apple feels now that they can run their own events on their own timetable regardless of what else is going on in the high-tech universe.

• Reply 25 of 26
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

^ Could be a demo space for the new Apple Retail Store design (or both).