Apple Watch featured in UK's Style magazine, Space Gray Sport version quoted at $349

24

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 73
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by blackbook View Post



    But I really hope Apple keeps the pricing structure of the watch relatively simple. There's already enough complexity with the different bands and models.

     

    That there is. Personally, I hope when the Store goes down for the event on the 9th, they take the opportunity to axe some products, like the original iPad Mini. Things are getting a bit unwieldy with the product line.

     

    I'd like to see a Touch update to an A7 at least, but I think they're just going to kill it off soon too. :(

  • Reply 22 of 73
    applegreenapplegreen Posts: 421member
    I am still trying to figure out why I would want one. Maybe after I try it out in the store and see how it can be used, I will want one. But, right now, I am not particularly excited.

    For every other Apple product - Macs, iPods, iPhones, and iPads - I had a desire to get them as soon as they were announced at Apple's events.

    With the Apple watch, there are lots on unanswered questions. Instinct tells me it will not be much of a success. We'll just have to wait and see.
  • Reply 23 of 73
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post



    I am still trying to figure out why I would want one. Maybe after I try it out in the store and see how it can be used, I will want one. But, right now, I am not particularly excited.



    For every other Apple product - Macs, iPods, iPhones, and iPads - I had a desire to get them as soon as they were announced at Apple's events.



    With the Apple watch, there are lots on unanswered questions. Instinct tells me it will not be much of a success. We'll just have to wait and see.



    Here's my thoughts.

     

    To see if this fitness tracking thing was worth all the hubbub, I bought one of these:

     

     

    So far, I've quite enjoyed it. My biggest complaint, though, is that if I'm going to wear something on my wrist full-time, I want it to, you know, tell time, which this plainly doesn't.

     

    So I think the initial Watch customers will be people in one of these categories.

     

    1. People who want a well-designed fitness tracker with other features.

    2. Diehard Apple fans who are willing to give it a chance.

    3. Watch enthusiasts who want a watch that ties with their iPhone.

     

    Now, as WatchKit gets in full-swing, and we see and discover uses, Average Joe will hear about it, he'll see early adopters with it, and he'll say "wow, that sounds cool!". Then he'll buy one. That will be around the time ?Watch2 is being released.

     

    By the time we're in the third or fourth generation, it'll have taken off.

  • Reply 24 of 73
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    That there is. Personally, I hope when the Store goes down for the event on the 9th, they take the opportunity to axe some products, like the original iPad Mini. Things are getting a bit unwieldy with the product line.

    I'd like to see a Touch update to an A7 at least, but I think they're just going to kill it off soon too. :(

    I think it's nice Apple still offers some of their older iDevices as entry level products, and it's pure profit for them so they probably won't phase them out.

    The entire iPod lineup will retire soon. Maybe this year if the Apple Watch takes off?
  • Reply 25 of 73
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by blackbook View Post





    I think it's nice Apple still offers some of their older iDevices as entry level products, and it's pure profit for them so they probably won't phase them out.



    The entire iPod lineup will retire soon. Maybe this year if the Apple Watch takes off?



    A5 devices are being pushed pretty hard by iOS 8 though. It's possible iOS 9 will come to them and ease the load a bit, but I'd prefer people's experiences with Apple hardware be quality ones.

  • Reply 26 of 73
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 720member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

     

    OK. That photo's cringe-inducing.

     

    Hope Apple had nothing to do with this placement.




    I got more of a sexual message from this photo.  It's great.  

     

    If I have to buy the less expensive Apple Watch, it would be the Space Gray one.  

  • Reply 27 of 73
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 720member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post





    Interesting, because this is the first time I've seen ?Watch on a wrist and thought, "I can see myself wearing that," specifically because I thought the styling of that space grey ?Watch Sport looked good.



    I think it looks great!  

     

    I may, however, save up for the middle tier Apple Watch. $1500 isn't too much to pay for it.

  • Reply 28 of 73
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    applegreen wrote: »
    I am still trying to figure out why I would want one.

    The Apple Watch reminds me of the original iPad. A device that is not necessarily a "necessity", but one you can't live without after you buy it.



    To see if this fitness tracking thing was worth all the hubbub, I bought one of these:

    Very smart idea. I've been interested in one of those fitness trackers for awhile, but I've held off in anticipation for the Apple Watch. It seems the watch will do everything and more for me.

    I would like to see Apple make a "Shuffle" version of the Apple Watch in the future that just has the simply fitness tracking ability. I think that'd be a cool little device for people that don't need the full experience.
  • Reply 29 of 73
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I, for one, can't wait for the ?Watch add that's all CGI in some futuristic world in a high-tech industrial world like we used to see with the Verizon Droid ads in 2010¡


    I'd prefer one where the salesman points out that it has a dual-core processor, which means it's better because two is higher than one!

    ...and then he closes him demo by showing the Liquid Metal watch bouncing all over the display table...

    How could anyone resist that pitch!
  • Reply 30 of 73
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Says the person who knows nothing about art and style.

    The watch looks amazing inthat photo.

    I'm really digging the Space Grey Sport model. It looks like pure sex in these shots.
  • Reply 31 of 73
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,650member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

     

    OK. That photo's cringe-inducing.

     

    Hope Apple had nothing to do with this placement.




    Are you kidding?

    It's a beautiful picture and the watch stands out.

     

    From her skin tone contrasting the watch face drawn on her face, to the Apple Watch matching her nail polish, lipstick and T-Shirt, it's outright gorgeous and brilliant advertising.

  • Reply 32 of 73
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

    A5 devices are being pushed pretty hard by iOS 8 though. It's possible iOS 9 will come to them and ease the load a bit, but I'd prefer people's experiences with Apple hardware be quality ones.

    Very valid point.

    Personally iOS 7 was smooth on my iPad 2, but iOS 8 has been only a tad bit slower. Neither OS made the iPad unusable, and it is still leagues faster and smoother than any Android or Windows tablet I've ever used.

    That said I hope iOS 9 is kinder to my iPad 2. It's likely the last update it'll get.
  • Reply 33 of 73
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,166member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post





    Interesting, because this is the first time I've seen ?Watch on a wrist and thought, "I can see myself wearing that," specifically because I thought the styling of that space grey ?Watch Sport looked good.



    I thought the same thing. If the price difference is big between the ?Watch and Sport then I might just go with the Sport.

  • Reply 34 of 73
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

    You know how you can walk into an Apple Store and just start playing around with an iPhone or iPad and immediately get a good idea of what the user experience will be like? This is going to be much more complicated for ?Watch because without it being connected to an iPhone it is pretty simplistic. To experience music, you would need a paired BT headphone, to see messaging or biometrics you would have to log in and set up the security profile, etc. Same with the Touch ID integration.

     

    Perhaps that is why they are changing the store setup and putting in kiosks at department stores. I think this will need to be demonstrated not just available for users to play around with.

  • Reply 35 of 73
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 145member
    blackbook wrote: »
    The marketing for Apple Watch has been flawless.

    I'm expecting the pricing to be simple and straightforward for all 3 variations of the watch with the 38mm sport models being the entry level price of $349, and the most expensive gold models being somewhere north of $3000 but south of $5000.

    ?Watch has less gold compare to jewelry watches. The 18karat gold is only the little frame compare to jewelry watches. Creating a gold little watch hands is difficult compare to making OLED screen too. ?Watch dont have a full 18karat gold strap too.
  • Reply 36 of 73
    lolliverlolliver Posts: 427member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I do, and I noted why I do. The silver has four colour options, while the space grey has only one. If the prices were going to be the same I would have suspected more colour options for the straps on the space grey. To me it says we're making more of the aluminum which means the space grey will be constrained, and since we're making less we have to charge more to keep the margins in place and to balance the interest so not everyone is buying the black model.

    I hope I'm wrong, but I will a little surprised if all 10 models of ?Watch Sport are $349.

    This could well be although Apple didn't charge more for the white iPhone 4 when there were issues with the paint and supply was constrained. It launched months later but was still at the same price points as the black model.

    Of course there may be a higher cost to making the space grey and therefore it would cost more. I do find it interesting that they only have one band option (so far) as I'm sure there are plenty of other colours that would work well with it.
  • Reply 37 of 73
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    lolliver wrote: »
    This could well be although Apple didn't charge more for the white iPhone 4 when there were issues with the paint and supply was constrained. It launched months later but was still at the same price points as the black model.

    Of course there may be a higher cost to making the space grey and therefore it would cost more. I do find it interesting that they only have one band option (so far) as I'm sure there are plenty of other colours that would work well with it.

    1) If I'm not mistaken the black iPhone arrived in June, 2010, with the black Verizon (CDMA) iPhone 4 hitting in February, 2011, and then all the way in April, 2011 the white iPhone 4 finally arrived. That was really huge gaff for Apple. I think a lot of people waited to buy that white iPhone. 2011 was also the year they moved to the Autumn iPhone release.

    2) I see your point but it's the 4 straps for one and only the single strap for the other that makes me think they may increase its price. Again, I hope they don't.
  • Reply 38 of 73
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

     
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

     

    Well, your trolling comments certainly qualify as top of the pus-list.




    It really pisses me off that he thumbs up every one of my posts. He does it just because he knows it pisses me off.

  • Reply 39 of 73
    lolliverlolliver Posts: 427member
    mstone wrote: »

    It really pisses me off that he thumbs up every one of my posts. He does it just because he knows it pisses me off.

    Either that or he just wants people to think he's not a troll and that he actually agrees with their comments some times.
    Although I don't really think there is much logic behind it. He just enjoys trolling and the fact that we all keep talking about him. I have him blocked now so only see his comments when someone responds to them.
  • Reply 40 of 73
    lolliverlolliver Posts: 427member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    1) If I'm not mistaken the black iPhone arrived in June, 2010, with the black Verizon (CDMA) iPhone 4 hitting in February, 2011, and then all the way in April, 2011 the white iPhone 4 finally arrived. That was really huge gaff for Apple. I think a lot of people waited to buy that white iPhone. 2011 was also the year they moved to the Autumn iPhone release.

    2) I see your point but it's the 4 straps for one and only the single strap for the other that makes me think they may increase its price. Again, I hope they don't.

    I had forgotten just how long it took for the White model to be released. I knew it was a few months at least but as you've pointed out it was longer than I had remembered.

    I agree with you that only having one band colour is very likely a sign the space grey could cost more. I just really want that colour so I'm trying to find reasons to hope it won't be more expensive. ????
Sign In or Register to comment.