Variety of Apple Watch stylings for men spotlighted in Hong Kong fashion magazine spread

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I like the look of that band also, but it looks like a problem for those of us with hairy arms.

The Loop concept is a perfect fit for any wrist, no predetermined stop gap cut outs.

I am expecting "Infinite Loops" for ? Watch 2. Engineered in solid materials for hairy arms.

Actually, Apple already has a leather version of the Milanese loop. It is called the "Leather Loop".

It doesn't look as elegant as the Milanese Loop though ...

• Reply 22 of 40
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Shave? At least the part where the watch sits

LOL! Sorry, no.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Shave? At least the part where the watch sits

Waxing has a longer lasting effect. You don't want stubble wrists.

• Reply 24 of 40
    rogifan wrote: »
    Um, nobody in that 'ad' looks like a one percenter to me.

Um , it's called "rhetoric", you know? Like, um, maybe Siri can define that, um, for you, you know? And everything.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    mr o wrote: »

The Milanese Loop is Sexy as Hell!

It is the Sexiest way to put your watch on and take it off. No fiddling with knobs. You just swing it off (in bed). Gotta love the Sensuous Swoop. 

You are incorrigible, O¡

Speaking of sexy, do you not think that mating the watch to its charger every night will have its erotic overtones? A last flood of oxytocin before bedtime? It's that "click," i gotta have that "click," people will say. (Only to themselves, of course, but still . . .)
  • Reply 26 of 40
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member

Waxing has a longer lasting effect. You don't want stubble wrists.

aaaggghhh sounds painful... I can see it now, both wrists and ankles and call it the poodle look.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

You are incorrigible, O¡

Speaking of sexy, do you not think that mating the watch to its charger every night will have its erotic overtones? A last flood of oxytocin before bedtime? It's that "click," i gotta have that "click," people will say. (Only to themselves, of course, but still . . .)

It certainly is a nice touch. That sucking feel & reaffirming click, transforming your watch in a boudoir alarm clock.

Most people use their iPhone as an alarm clock, which is not a good idea. In that respect, the ? watch will improve our sleeping habits.

• Reply 28 of 40
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I was just wondering if the high end watch makers ever got into LED watches back in the 70's. Sure enough they did and some were sold gold!

Here is just a few http://www.ebay.tv/sch/Jewelry-Watches-/281/i.html?_nkw=omega+led+watch&_sop=3
  • Reply 29 of 40
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I so wish I could afford the stainless steel model with the Milanese Loop. Alas, I doubt I can. Sport model doesn't look bad, I'll have my usual battle between blue and green though.

The band connection points on the watch case look like they'll support easy band switching and Apple wouldn't likely miss the opportunity to sell accessory bands. Mix and match.

• Reply 30 of 40
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

It certainly is a nice touch. That sucking feel & reaffirming click, transforming your watch in a boudoir alarm clock.

Most people use their iPhone as an alarm clock, which is not a good idea. In that respect, the ? watch will improve our sleeping habits.

Hadn't thought of that. Someday a taptic alarm clock, won't be seen as an alarm for long. Imagine the possibilities.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Oh, you are so wrong.

Seiko men's diver's automatic watch, $173 via an Amazon seller.

I would expect this to last 30+ years without any issues. Notably, it is an automatic watch so you won't spend a dime in batteries. The question is whether or not the stainless steel Apple Watch will come close to the quality of the Seiko model which is waterproof to 200 meters.

This particularly Seiko model is a classic.

Classic it may be, but it's NOT "waterproof" to ANY depth.

From your link:

"Water resistant to 660 feet (200 M)"

• Reply 32 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Did Apple approve these shots? I can't believe they'd approve someone yawning. What's up with that? And I know this is an ad, but isn't the watch display off when you're not looking at it? Unless Apple is going to surprise us with some low power mode that will display a clock face all the time? Is that even possible?

Yes, a low power mode was just written about that would simply show the time while powering down other functions to save battery life.

• Reply 33 of 40
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Yes, a low power mode was just written about that would simply show the time while powering down other functions to save battery life.

In any inactive situation with the arms lowered, even if walking, the screen will turn off similar to other iOS devices such as an iPad when a smart cover is closed. The thing that is different about the watch is it recognizes when the arm is being raised as one would do to check the time, at which point the display lights up and then goes dark again within in a few seconds. Even in the low power mode I would expect this to be the case, especially in the low power mode, I would think. In these photos the model was probably instructed by the photographer to raise his arm to activate the display and quickly assume the desired pose before the screen went dark again in order to get the shot.

• Reply 34 of 40
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    sog35 wrote: »
    So 2 year old iPads are useless now?  That's news to me.  I better tell my wife to throw away her ipad4

In that case I'd better try & find out what my wife does with her iPad 2!!
  • Reply 35 of 40
    mstone wrote: »
    jfc1138 wrote: »

In any inactive situation with the arms lowered, even if walking, the screen will turn off similar to other iOS devices such as an iPad when a smart cover is closed. The thing that is different about the watch is it recognizes when the arm is being raised as one would do to check the time, at which point the display lights up and then goes dark again within in a few seconds. Even in the low power mode I would expect this to be the case, especially in the low power mode, I would think. In these photos the model was probably instructed by the photographer to raise his arm to activate the display and quickly assume the desired pose before the screen went dark again in order to get the shot.

These were likely non-functional watches that could present a couple displays, or the watch face was photoshopped into the photo later. The latter is most plausible.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Now that I am seeing a few more photos of this in action I think it looks a lot better than I originally thought possible. Looks pretty sweet.

...And this is how good marketing works.

You don't want a truck and have no need for one. You certainly live where you don't have any possible use for 4WD...but you keep seeing these ads for trucks and these brawny men driving them like they were on a test track, or up a rugged mountain side, and by golly, it looks like fun... Before you know it, you're behind the wheel of an impractical gas-guzzler driving through suburbia and you have no idea how you were manipulated to that place...

Marketing knows you better then you know yourself and also knows how to put you to sleep so you make the decisions you are programmed to make... now, doesn't that red truck look delicious... kinda like that fire truck you always wanted, but you never got...
  • Reply 37 of 40
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    ...And this is how good marketing works.

You don't want a truck and have no need for one. You certainly live where you don't have any possible use for 4WD...but you keep seeing these ads for trucks and these brawny men driving them like they were on a test track, or up a rugged mountain side, and by golly, it looks like fun... Before you know it, you're behind the wheel of an impractical gas-guzzler driving through suburbia and you have no idea how you were manipulated to that place...

Marketing knows you better then you know yourself and also knows how to put you to sleep so you make the decisions you are programmed to make... now, doesn't that red truck look delicious... kinda like that fire truck you always wanted, but you never got...

Reminds me of this quote.

"What is the difference between unethical and ethical advertising? Unethical advertising uses falsehoods to deceive the public; ethical advertising uses truth to deceive the public."
    Vilhjalmur Stefansson
  • Reply 38 of 40
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

These were likely non-functional watches that could present a couple displays, or the watch face was photoshopped into the photo later. The latter is most plausible.

Highly unlikely. I work in product photography all day long and what you suggest is simply 100x more difficult than just getting the shot. Obtaining reprogrammed watches or trying to match the lighting and perspective skew in the shot with Photoshop is last case scenario.

• Reply 39 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

CGI is sort of nuts these days in post processing, what was a miracle a few years back is now a cost cutting routine.

Ever seen a daily of a tech heavy scene with a lot of computer screens? Lots and lots of pretty green... lol

Granted they do have bigger budgets than simple magazine shots...