Apple Watch carried codename 'Gizmo,' former Adobe CTO Kevin Lynch spearheaded software

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Some of the interface graphics - like the beating heart or the animated emoticon - are horrible as well. I thought Apple had abandoned the skeuomorphic fad? I'd like to see it go in the next software update.

I'm not sure who you can blame for the cuteness of the interface, but probably wouldn't be Lynch. Software engineers don't design graphical user interfaces, they implement them, but they don't draw them.

Should go over great in Japan though.

• Reply 22 of 70
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    1) I'm also not a fan of the look, but I think we're in the minority on that one. If there is a way to personalize the home screen UI with different button shapes I would likely change it

2) The new Photos app icon in the 10.10.3 beta is also a circle.
    I don't see them as useful to me but I think they are don't well.

I'm confused...I thought everyone wanted to burn Jony Ive at the stake for making Apple's software "flat". Now they're upset because certain parts of ?Watch are more 3D/alive? A couple weeks ago Woz made some positive comments about ?Watch calling it a little piece of art on your wrist. My guess is the things some people hate (like digital touch) will become quite popular. ?Watch certainly isn't as sterile as Android Wear, which I consider a good thing.
  • Reply 23 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Dude I write in proper languages for a living.

I never would have guessed that from your rather naive remarks. Best not to comment on Flash because you clearly know nothing about it.

• Reply 24 of 70
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Yeah. I still don't understand the hiring of Lynch.

Maybe cause you don't really know a damn thing about him, besides his previous title, and thus don't have the information nor the tools to come to any kind of reasonable opinion on his hiring? Do you think Apple randomly hired him to be the software lead of a new product category? Clearly they had information about him that made the case compelling. No, you don't understand, but none of us have the sufficient info to say it's a bad hire. 

• Reply 25 of 70
    slurpy wrote: »
    Maybe cause you don't really know a damn thing about him, besides his previous title, and thus don't have the information nor the tools to come to any kind of reasonable opinion on his hiring? Do you think Apple randomly hired him to be the software lead of a new product category? Clearly they had information about him that made the case compelling. No, you don't understand, but none of us have the sufficient info to say it's a bad hire. 

Gruber was just as dismissive. I guess according to him and others this guy should be banished in hell forever for once supporting Flash. Still not sure what that has to do with ?Watch. He wasn't hired to add Flash to the watch.
  • Reply 26 of 70
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    slurpy wrote: »

Oh for the love of frick. I tend to defend apple fans against claims of cultish behaviour but it's definitely out there.

All we know about Lynch is that he ran a team at Adobe. We can't judge him until the product is released ( and it's clearly behind schedule).

At the risk of being accused of fetishing Jobs I don't think he would have made this hire and he was brilliant at choosing who to hire and who to ignore. But then he wouldn't have fired Forstall either ( who really was liked by people in Apple who reported into him).

Cook's his own man. Doing good so far but the jury is out on his hires, like Angela, the acqui hire of Beats, Lynch.

however this isn't a position I am guaranteed to hold forever. If the watch is a success -- and I wish it the best -- I will admit my mistake. As Keynes said "when the facts change I change my opinions". Same with the new Beats platform. Or the new Stores.

So I hope I'm wrong but we'll know more in a week, a month and so on. In the meantime criticism of VPs is not really anti-Apple.
  • Reply 27 of 70
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Jobs hired Papermaster, Cook hired Browett.

Both of them made many, many great hires as well, but let's not be deluded into thinking they don't make mistakes ever.
  • Reply 28 of 70
    Quote:

. But then he wouldn't have fired Forstall either ( who really was liked by people in Apple who reported into him).

Forstall worked when he had Jobs to counterbalance him. Without Jobs I think he was somewhat adrift, and his style wasn't going to mesh with TC's Apple.

• Reply 29 of 70
    crowley wrote: »

Both of them made many, many great hires as well, but let's not be deluded into thinking they don't make mistakes ever.

How do we know Kevin Lynch is a mistake? Are people just assuming that because his name is associated with Flash?
  • Reply 30 of 70
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member

I keep hearing Jony's voice use the words "compelling beginning" in the reveal video in September. Give it time. (!)

I am looking forward to getting two Apple Watches. But I do expect the stock to run up on expectation, then drop, perhaps significantly in the aftermath. Every product does this, particularly new iPhone models. Then it will recover gradually and hit huge gains again in the 2015 holiday quarter with version 2 on the horizon. Apple Watch will be a hit, but perhaps not right away.

• Reply 31 of 70
    rogifan wrote: »
    How do we know Kevin Lynch is a mistake? Are people just assuming that because his name is associated with Flash?
    We don't, I was just responding to the "trust in Apple"-esque arguments.

Though I thought his presentation of ?Watch was probably the worst presentation I've ever seen from an Apple staffer, both in content and delivery.
  • Reply 32 of 70
    crowley wrote: »

Though I thought his presentation of ?Watch was probably the worst presentation I've ever seen from an Apple staffer, both in content and delivery.

Really? Ok he might not be the best speaker but I didn't think it was that bad. Honestly I thought Eddy Cue's iWork demo at the 2013 iPad event was worse.
  • Reply 33 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Right on. 

But until now, so of the biggest mistakes they didn't or wouldn't make…hiring a few of the 'experts' here that purport themselves to be.

• Reply 34 of 70

From Lynch's personal website, he worked on the original FrameMaker that was sold to Adobe, later worked at General Magic, founded by original Mac developers Bill Atkinson, Andy Hertzfeld, and Marc Porat.

He later joined Macromedia, which was formed with the merger of Authorware, Macromind (Director), and Paracomp, Flash was acquired with FutureWave software.  Also, Flash was originally a vector animation software with minimal scripting capabilities.  Only after Macromedia purchased Allaire, the maker of Homesite and Coldfusion then Fllash developed into what it was.

Personally I think Adobe spread Flash too thin and make it available on too many platforms and all the good Flash developers left.

• Reply 35 of 70
    The Apple Watch "winds down"? So, how does one wind it back up?
  • Reply 36 of 70
    Quote:

Oh for the love of frick. I tend to defend apple fans against claims of cultish behaviour but it's definitely out there.

What the **** did I say that you qualify as "cultish"? Seriously. It was a purely pragmatic, logical, and obvious argument- that noone here can claim it's a "bad hire", because noone here really has a fucking clue about the idea, nor the criterias used. Maybe you can claim as such if you witnessed the entire vetting process for yourself. But you didn't. Maybe he's a terrible hire, maybe he's the best hire in Apple's history. Noone here has the tools to assess that beyond pure speculation at this point. And because I make this obvious point, I'm a "cultist"? Wow. Is this how extreme you are in labelling everything else too?

Your post contained a single fact- his previous position- the rest of your post was nothing but speculative trash about who Jobs would and wouldnt hire, based on..nothing. Criticize all you want, but sane, rational people realize there's very little to criticize him over yet during his time at Apple. Why are you so excited, and in a rush to criticize?

• Reply 37 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Wow, talk about being dramatic. His presentation was fine. He never fucked up, he was natural, and I was pretty impressed with the demo. he's no Jobs in charisma, but noone is, but I've seen much worse presenters and much worse demos at Apple Keynotes. Also, what they showed of the Apple watch UI was very limited. 

• Reply 38 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Why are you so excited, and in a rush to criticize?

Because he is a Flash hater. It is understandable why Jobs went off on a rant about Flash. Four years in a row the Mac got hacked into at BlackHat using the Flash plug-in in Safari. But so did Windows and Linux. In a way, you can't entirely blame a buffer overflow on the exploited application. There is some degree of blame on the OS itself. If you are not going to make applications like Safari run in a sandbox including the plug-ins then this is the type of stuff that can happen. Face it, the entire internet was to blame because users demanded Flash for YouTube. Plugin-ins are a unique architecture but easy to exploit when exposed to the internet. They take on all the permissions of the host browser.

Similar thing happened in 2011 with the PDF font jailbreak exploit. Again an Adobe supported format, but there was not an Adobe application to be found. It was an entirely Apple implementation of PDF. Sure the same vulnerability existed in Adobe software but if you want argue it was all Adobe's fault, why didn't the engineers at Apple discover the vulnerability? It is just easier to blame Adobe.

Adobe is villainized and by association Lynch.

• Reply 39 of 70
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    mstone wrote: »
    asdasd wrote: »
    Dude I write in proper languages for a living.

I never would have guessed that from your rather naive remarks. Best not to comment on Flash because you clearly know nothing about it.

It sounds to me like you had some sort of role with Flash and/or Adobe, and are simply trying to defend what is, by most intelligent accounts, a POS piece of software.
  • Reply 40 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Wow, talk about being dramatic. His presentation was fine. He never fucked up, he was natural, and I was pretty impressed with the demo. he's no Jobs in charisma, but noone is, but I've seen much worse presenters and much worse demos at Apple Keynotes. Also, what they showed of the Apple watch UI was very limited. 

Yeah, a photos app on your watch.  That was useful.  He made the UI seem fiddly and bloated with nonsense cruft that no one would use, and he was totally lacking in any personality for one of Apple's biggest consumer product introductions.  If you thought what he showed was limited then you were watching a different presentation to me; he showed far too much, so much crap that the product seemed more Samsun that Apple, full to the brim with rubbish "we could, so we did" features.  He fudged it, a stereotypical tech guy trying and failing to do the job of a marketing guy  for a company famous for nailing marketing.  Terrible presentation if you ask me.  You can disagree, but I hardly think I'm being dramatic, lots of people were saying the same thing at the time; the segment that most needed Apple to pull out the pizzazz barely limped across the line.