Rumor: 12.9" iPad is latest Apple device claimed to feature next-gen IGZO display

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

How is this even a rumor?

It would be news if the iPad Pro did not use an IGZO display, since the Air and Air 2 both use an IGZO display.

This rumor is just dumb, and beyond obvious. This is like predicting that the new BMW car is going to have four tires.

BREAKING: Ming-Chi Kuo: The ?Car will have four tires.

• Reply 22 of 29
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

BREAKING: Ming-Chi Kuo: The ?Car will have four tires.

And they may or may not be made of a magical composite.

• Reply 23 of 29
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    1) What products?

2) Are you saying that it's IGZO?

3) Are there other competing technologies that Apple can use?

IGZO is the enabling technology for the iPad Air and the 5K iMac.

Lack of IGZO production yields appears to be the hold-up for the Macbook Air Retina, for a 4K Cinema Display from Apple, and possibly a Foxconn or Apple 4K TV. And possibly an earlier shipping window for this 12.9" iPad Pro.

Apple has already invested hundreds of millions in this technology, mainly with Sharp, according to reports from Kuo and others over the last few years. As far as I know, there is no competing tech for high electron efficiency for these larger screen sizes. LTPS is said to be better, but for smaller displays.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    1983 wrote: »

2304x3072 pixels at 297.67 PPI. If the screen had a 12.8" diagonal rather than the rumoured 12.9" one, it would be exactly 300 PPI, which is what you get on most printed magazines. This iPad would make a great magazine replacement, something the current iPad Air 2 is not quite large enough for IMHO.

That's what I think too, and is why I've held off purchasing an iPad so far. I mainly want one to replace the tonnage of heavy paper magazines I currently schlep around with me and store at home in paper towers!

Thanks. It's certainly possible we won't see 4k this time around, but I think it's inevitable.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    flaneur wrote: »
    IGZO is the enabling technology for the iPad Air and the 5K iMac.

Lack of IGZO production yields appears to be the hold-up for the Macbook Air Retina, for a 4K Cinema Display from Apple, and possibly a Foxconn or Apple 4K TV. And possibly an earlier shipping window for this 12.9" iPad Pro.

Apple has already invested hundreds of millions in this technology, mainly with Sharp, according to reports from Kuo and others over the last few years. As far as I know, there is no competing tech for high electron efficiency for these larger screen sizes. LTPS is said to be better, but for smaller displays.

I'd think the 5K — not 4K — 27" (or larger) Apple Cinema Display is due to lack of TB3/DP1.3 that would allow for the display signal to be pushed over a single cable. At this point, the only way Apple could do it is with two cables splitting the single to two halves of the display, like with the 5K iMac, with an additional downside of the Mac Pro being the only Mac that could support this display due to having more than TB2 chips (not just ports).
  • Reply 26 of 29
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    Crossing fingers that is comes with a much more robust Finder like file management system and multi app workspace.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Korear Times is reporting that a "major customer" has adopted Samsungs 3D NAND technology for its latest laptop and will be putting that 3D NAND into its Pro laptops. Of course they are implying that Apple is the major customer.

This is very interesting and could explain the high price of the Mac Book. Being an early adopter is expensive for everybody.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    apaolaapaola Posts: 3member
    If Apple is going to make a tablet screen the size of a MacBook, they should be bold and open up the file system.