First look: Microsoft's all-new Office 2016 for Mac public preview

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    No matter how good some of the OS X native productivity apps are, I'll always miss ClarisWorks. 

It came with my PowerPc 6100/60 back in Summer of '94, and I was hooked. 

While on the subject of the old days, I miss a decent relational Apple owned database for Macs. I don't any longer consider FMPro an Apple product despite the ties and Bento was EOLd.
  • Reply 22 of 73
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member

Is Excel finally multi-threaded?

For some of the massive spreadsheets I'm forced to use, it's significantly faster to launch Windows in Parallels and use Excel for Windows than it is to use the native Mac Excel.

• Reply 23 of 73
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,370member
    Visio?

Word has done nothing in at least 10 years to make my life any easier. But I'd love to have Visio on the Mac, natively.

I hope this is a free upgrade like the iWork apps.
  • Reply 24 of 73
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member

I really hope they will fix the decade old copy-paste hang bug and need of "The Maggie" technique for de-corrupting Word docs with this new version.   

• Reply 25 of 73
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    I charge 5-8 grand to design presentations in keynote. Same presentation in PP will run you 35-40... And it won't do half of what keynote can or look nearly as good. In other words, I refuse to service Office users. In fact, I would rather fold my business and mow lawns - then have to design in Office.

The last time I had to use office resulted in smashed computer parts all over the floor (wintel box) and a keyboard embedded in the wall - and me drunk under my desk sobbing like a little girl.

My enthusiasm for this product can be imagined by the excitement Stephen Wright has clipping his toenails.
  • Reply 26 of 73
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

Visio?

Word has done nothing in at least 10 years to make my life any easier. But I'd love to have Visio on the Mac, natively.

I hope this is a free upgrade like the iWork apps.

If you miss Visio on a Mac you should give Omnigraffle a try, It's a great apps from one of the few developper for NextStep predating OS X.

• Reply 27 of 73
    jimkjimk Posts: 2member
    I, too, wouldn't get on the yearly subscription train, but I might buy it.......
  • Reply 28 of 73
    Too bad about the subscription stuff, which means it's a solid no-go for me. Still Office 2011 works OK here under 10.10, so I don't really need to upgrade.
  • Reply 29 of 73
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 229member
    Been using the preview Outlook app for several months (publicly available for quite a while now, not that anybody seems to mention that). Office 2011, frankly, had become a disgrace, especially those of us paying for 365 and seeing PC counterparts leap ahead!
  • Reply 30 of 73
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Excel. ????

I don't understand your (power)point.

Why won't they give us access?

• Reply 31 of 73
    scotty321scotty321 Posts: 313member
    Good luck, Microsoft. I have no reason to ever use your crappy software ever again, thanks to Pages and Numbers and Keynote. Plus, Apple's office suite is free!! The only people stuck using MS Office are those hopelessly stuck in corporate cubicle jobs, so they obviously have bigger life problems to work out! ;)
  • Reply 32 of 73

The cleaner interface is definitely a godsend.  Functionality remains to be seen over the next couple of days.

• Reply 33 of 73
    bobgbobg Posts: 5member

Bigpics said "OTOH, if One Drive is thrown in with unlimited storage (what I've heard) and becomes some kind of usable web backup solution a la DropBox and Sugar Sync that might be a value proposition to consider."

Just to warn you, I stopped using One Drive, after I found that it had the usual Microsoft problem of not being able to cope with files that had certain characters in their names. This convention I believe goes all the way back to DOS! Too bad they haven't caught up with the rest of the world.

• Reply 34 of 73
    webweaselwebweasel Posts: 137member
    ewtheckman wrote: »
    Does it finally support CalDAV and CardDAV so that it can sync calendars and contacts with iOS devices?

I bloody hope so. They've had enough time to sort it out.
  • Reply 35 of 73
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,338member
    Lovers of the new Outlook, before forewarned. The new Outlook currently does NOT support Scripts. As a result, one of the best spam filters available, SpamSieve, will not work. Anyone who uses Outlook and anticipates an upgrade to Office 2016 should fire off an email to Microsoft about this, asking that they restore the Scripts menu.
  • Reply 36 of 73

Yosemite only...hopefully I can still keep downloading and using 2011.

• Reply 37 of 73
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgs268 View Post

The new Outlook for Mac is beautiful. Much better and faster than Outlook for Windows.

I wouldn't say beautiful, but definitely not ass-ugly anymore. Same with the rest of the suite. Microsoft has really improved their standing in my eyes during last couple yrs. 

• Reply 38 of 73
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    slurpy wrote: »
    I wouldn't say beautiful, but definitely not ass-ugly anymore. Same with the rest of the suite. Microsoft has really improved their standing in my eyes during last couple yrs. 
    Unfortunately it's still a steaming pile of shit... Outlook only supports PUSH for ActiveSync protocol on Office / Exchange 365 accounts, and doesn't extend this functionality to the other Exchange protocols capable of PUSH, and it also doesn't support auto-loading (or even manual loading) of Shared Mailboxes assigned to your profile unless you're again (you guessed it) using Office 365!

Oh, and according to 9to5Mac, once Office 2016 launches, it won't be available for outright purchase, and will REQUIRE an Office 365 subscription!

To Microshit, I say GO **** YOURSELF! I won't be paying a monthly fee to rent yet another crippled POS, just cause you want me to line your pockets. Give me the iOS and OS X apps for outright purchase, and enable PUSH and Shared Mailbox functionality to accounts outside Office 365, and I might consider this.
  • Reply 39 of 73
    webweaselwebweasel Posts: 137member
    mrshow wrote: »
    They need to put more buttons on the toolbars.

And they're still using a floppy disc icon as the save button, which is, er, retro.
  • Reply 40 of 73
    I give Microsoft credit for taking their time to upgrade Office and giving it new and improved features. I really dislike companies (like Adobe **cough**cough**, er Adobe - whoops, did I say Adobe?) that update apps relentlessly with dubious "improvements" just to cash in on users spending money to "upgrade".