Apple sends end-of-life reminder to Aperture users, encourages migration to new Photos app

Comments

• Reply 41 of 70
    aegean wrote: »
    Undoubtedly a sad moment. The last time I sad from Apple was when they discontinued MBP 17" and now this is the 2nd time. I really enjoy using Aperture and I am quiet used to of it but don't know what's gonna happen. I will keep using Aperture, but it is so sad that we will never see an update again. :(

Your sadness comes across.
  • Reply 42 of 70
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

Dear user,

Thank you for purchasing and using your Ferrari. We stopped selling Ferrari's. We introduced the Lada car. We hope you'll like to drive our Lada.

What's your point? Car companies discontinue models and introduce new models all the time. Or is a car company obligated to manufacture the vehicle that you purchased forever?

Also, it's more like "your Ferrari will continue to function as is, we're not making any new ones, but here's a free Lada!"

Aperture is still available, and will be available from torrent sites, etc for a long time. Noone is getting "screwed". Just the regular whining and bitching, while Apple does something that is in its best long term interests. Keeping aperture around means that they will have to add so much baggage to the new photos app, so that the 2 can continue to communicate seamlessly. It will stunt development, as every update or feature they add to photos will need to be cross tested with aperture, and that will also need to be updated. It's alot of wasted dev and testing for something that does not really fit their core mission nor has a place in their future ecosystem.

As someone who has followed Apple for a long time, this move is not surprising, nor is it inconsistent with their way of thinking and culture. for those of you surprised, shocked, or outraged, I would question if you really understand anything about Apple, or ever have. 

• Reply 43 of 70
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

• Reply 44 of 70
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

What is Apple's official statement for why they are discontinuing Aperture?

• Reply 45 of 70
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Use Lightroom then.

Considering all the hatred that some people have for Adobe Flash and their business practices like subscription-only Creative Cloud, telling Mac users to "use Lightroom" seems contradictory.

• Reply 46 of 70
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    sirozha wrote: »
    Could someone explain to me what happens in the following scenarios with iCloud Photos: 
    1. My Photos library in OS X exceeds the available flash size on my iOS device. Which photos will sync from the iCloud Photos and which will not? Am I going to be given a choice? This is a scenario that the majority of iOS users will face due to their current iPhoto or Aperture library size being hundreds of gigabytes. 
    2 In my Family Sharing scenario, I want to have one Family photo library and have all devices (including Apple TV) to be able to sync from this one master photo library that currently lives on one of the Macs, but with iCloud Photos enabled will also be synced to iCloud. Will Family Sharing support photo sharing in the same way as it supports app sharing and music sharing?

I do realize that I can use the Shared Streams to be able to share some or all of the "master" photo library with other iCloud accounts, including my family members' iCloud accounts. However, if I decide that I want my family members to have access to the entire photo library (that will be migrated from Aperture to Photos and synced to iCloud), which is currently 500 GB, I would have to purchase 500 GB of iCloud storage for every family member. If I never migrated to Family Sharing and continued to have one "master" iCloud account as the iCloud account on every iOS and OS X device in my family, I would not need to purchase 500 GB multiple times as every one of my devices would be able to share the same 500 GB purchased for the "master" account. So, it seems strange to me that Apple encouraged people to use Family Sharing to share apps and music among different iCloud accounts that are part of the same Family Sharing setup, but at the same time, Apple has no plans to do the same with photo sharing. Or, am I wrong and photo sharing works the same exact way between iCloud accounts that are members of the same Family Sharing as it works for apps and music? 

Thank you. 

Your iOS device will hold thumbnails. When you select an image it is downloaded from the cloud. There is an option to do this on your Mac too, but you can also choose to keep a full copy of all images in the Mac.
  • Reply 47 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aegean View Post

Undoubtedly a sad moment. The last time I sad from Apple was when they discontinued MBP 17" and now this is the 2nd time. I really enjoy using Aperture and I am quiet used to of it but don't know what's gonna happen. I will keep using Aperture, but it is so sad that we will never see an update again. image

I was just so sad when Apple discontinued iPhoto for iOS. I was wondering why they developed iPhoto for iOS just a few years earlier to drop it like a hot potato last year. There seem to have been two teams at Apple that worked on the photo management/editing apps and the infrastructure that supported it. With iPhoto for iOS vs Photos, there were two incompatible ways to publish web albums, two ways to transfer pictures over Wi-Fi between the iOS device and the Mac, two different libraries for image files, etc. There was too much duplication of efforts between the two teams/applications with the two teams seemingly trying to one-up each other instead of actually working on the missing features. For instance, even though iPhoto for iOS was superior to Photos, there was still no way to sync pictures between iPhoto for iOS and iPhoto for OS X. So, all those amazing image editing tools available on iPad could not be easily tapped into in a work flow for these pictures to show up seamlessly in iPhoto (or Aperture) for OS X. In my opinion, a project manager finally got involved and decided to drop advance photo editing features for the sake of streamlining the workflow and the synchronization of images between the two platforms.

Apple really should not be venturing into advanced professional level applications until it figures out the direction it's taking the two platforms and creates a seamless integration and synchronization between the two platforms to get the stuff to "just work" as they claim it does. Once they achieve this feat, they can start brining in advanced features. They went this route with the iWork suite of applications by removing all advanced features and re-engineering their applications from ground up. They are now doing the same stuff for the image editing applications. Next on the chopping block should be iMovie which is another unmitigated disaster. Apple really has no excuse to continuing to release such buggy software - be it bugs in the OS X that don't get fixed for years, battery draining software bugs that turn perfectly good iPhones (5S, for instance) into little personal heaters when they are upgraded to the latest and greatest iOS release, bugs in the applications, or bugs in their mapping service. Apple has thousands of software engineers writing code for the hardware platforms that have a finite number of variations (unlike what Microsoft has to deal with). Apple's software should be perfect and flawless, and I hope they can start working on making it so, if at the expense of dropping advanced applications developed in house and letting third parties focus on specific applications that are tightly integrated with both platforms.

• Reply 48 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

Your iOS device will hold thumbnails. When you select an image it is downloaded from the cloud. There is an option to do this on your Mac too, but you can also choose to keep a full copy of all images in the Mac.

What will happen to the photos that I take on an iPhone? Will those photos stay on the iPhone as full-resolution images or will they be uploaded to iCloud and replaced with thumbnails? 

• Reply 49 of 70
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    Hoping Apple is coming up with reason for removal, possibly an annocements of aperture like setting in photos later this year? Just not mentioning it now because work on it is to vague.
  • Reply 50 of 70
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SwissMac2 View Post

"Apple reminded users that they will no longer be able to purchase Aperture after the release of Photos, though it will remain functional in OS X Yosemite."

I read that Apple are NOT upgrading Aperture users to the latest version available under Mavericks; instead users have to upgrade both their OS to Yosemite (which for various reasons they may not be able to do) and require the still available 3.4.3 version of Aperture to miss the latest version 3.5.1 and jump straight to v 3.6. Only 3.6 requires an OS upgrade...

I just installed 3.5.1 on a Mavericks machine a couple of weeks ago, so unless something has changed since them I'm not sure what you read is true.

• Reply 51 of 70
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    danieljcox wrote: »
    Agree with your Beta test comments. Not to mention that when photos was introduced an Apple representative specifically mentioned that Pros would have to look elsewhere. Now they're sending Pros an email to give Photos a try? There is obvious confusion at Apple and who knows maybe they are coming to realize they are making a mistake. Time will tell. All very strange.

There is no confusion so don't kid yourself. The message is clear and sensible: try Photos; if it doesn't suit you then move to something else.

The outcry from this move is nowhere near as bad as the FCPx uproar, probably because they've handled it better. Instead of dropping a bomb and dealing with the aftermath, they've announced the bad news early along with the beta which should give them a better idea of what they cannot launch without.

And they will be well aware that a large percentage of complainers won't have actually tried it.
  • Reply 52 of 70
    haggar wrote: »
    Considering all the hatred that some people have for Adobe Flash and their business practices like subscription-only Creative Cloud, telling Mac users to "use Lightroom" seems contradictory.

Then take Affinity Photo out for a spin.
  • Reply 53 of 70
    Your sadness comes across.

And there's worse to come. ????

According to the release note, Photos won't support iTunes Radio in the UK. ????
  • Reply 54 of 70
    maconamacona Posts: 2member
    There are more advanced editing controls than the generic ones mentioned. You need to add them. Go into edit, click adjust, and then click the blue "add" text. There you can add most of your old controls.
  • Reply 55 of 70
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

“We have Photos now.”

• Reply 56 of 70
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sirozha View Post

What will happen to the photos that I take on an iPhone? Will those photos stay on the iPhone as full-resolution images or will they be uploaded to iCloud and replaced with thumbnails? 

You have time to pen the non-sensical, whiny, contradictory rant above (APPLE SOFTWARE SHOULD BE PERFECT AND FLAWLESS!) yet, are too lazy to spend a few seconds looking up the answer to your basic question. Your entire rant is complaining about Apple duplicating it's efforts across several apps, which is the exact thing Apple has addressed with Photos App and discontinuing iPhoto+aperture. So obviously they came to the same conclusion a couple years before you did, and have already solved it and executed their new direction. 

If you bothered to open the settings app, you will see that it works exactly the same way. You have the option to store full images of optimized thumbnails. 

• Reply 57 of 70
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    haggar wrote: »

They didn't give one, maybe an interviewer will ask them sometime. Get Kara Swisher on the case, she'll nag Tim until he gives the reason. It was probably lack of sales and then moving the development team around. This happened with some of their older software products. Randy Ubillos was part of the original team that made FCP and he created Premiere for Adobe:

http://www.portlandave.com/randy/DEST/DEST.html

If he left Apple for some reason, I expect something similar would happen to FCPX. I read somewhere that one of the lead Aperture developers left Apple a while ago and the updates became less frequent afterwards.
    kbeat wrote:
    the editing features of Aperture were never its strong point. Its strengths, especially over Lightroom, were in its DAM features. Extensive keyword support, deep support of metadata, projects, folders, albums, light tables, etc. made it a fantastic tool for organizing and managing a collection of tens of thousands of RAW images. When it launched, it offered features in this area that simply hadn't existed.

As an image editor, it was always mediocre at best.

That being the case, organizational features should be fairly easy for them to add back in and they can add the same ones to iOS devices. This could eventually turn into being Aperture for iOS and OS X syncing via the cloud vs just removing Aperture from OS X. It means photographers could do advanced organization when they are mobile with just an iPad or iPhone e.g they have a DSLR with just an iPhone/iPad 128GB. They import all the stills into the device and do all sorts of grouping when sitting on a plane, train or bus without needing to haul a laptop around with them.

Perhaps Aperture users should list the management features they used most in Aperture and give feedback to Apple about which are most crucial to add back in. That's what they did with FCPX. It took 2-3 years for FCPX to get the features back but it shouldn't take them quite as long with Photos if they intend to do that.
  • Reply 58 of 70
    slurpy wrote: »
    You have time to pen the non-sensical, whiny, contradictory rant above (APPLE SOFTWARE SHOULD BE PERFECT AND FLAWLESS!) yet, are too lazy to spend a few seconds looking up the answer to your basic question. Your entire rant is complaining about Apple duplicating it's efforts across several apps, which is the exact thing Apple has addressed with Photos App and discontinuing iPhoto+aperture. So obviously they came to the same conclusion a couple years before you did, and have already solved it and executed their new direction. 

If you bothered to open the settings app, you will see that it works exactly the same way. You have the option to store full images of optimized thumbnails. 

First of all, I'm not whining. I would rather Apple bring order to the software and its functionality and interoperability between the two platforms and iCloud than continue to develop four applications that do not interoperate or sync very well. So, I'm actually in favor of streamlining the work flow even at the expense of discontinuing Aperture.

Secondly, until Photos for iOS is released and iCloud Photos comes out of beta on iOS, I'm not going to enable this feature. I was trying to find out some details about how iCloud Photos will be synchronized between the two platforms. One of my questions about the amount of space that every member of Family Sharing has to acquire for their iCloud accounts was never answered. The reason is that no one really knows. Apple never published this information.

Thirdly, your rude comments, while hiding behind a keyboard. Car world, cyber world, . . .
  • Reply 59 of 70
    sirozha wrote: »
    shogun wrote: »

I haven't used the beta, but my understanding is that you will have three options for syncing:

You can either have an iOS optimised, ie compressed, duplication of you iPhoto library on your iOS devices, or you can have the original sizes, which would obviously not fit for a lot of people. I presume you also have the option to just show thumbnails if you wish to save more space.
  • Reply 60 of 70
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    rayz wrote: »
    Then take Affinity Photo out for a spin.

Or Phase One's Capture One.
    http://www.phaseone.com/Imaging-Software/Capture-One.aspx

Right now you can get it on the cheap too. Go to eBay and buy a light version for $20 or less. Then visit Capture One to take advantage of their $99 upgrade from any previous version. You can thank me later ;)