Apple Watch reportedly features unannounced diagnostics port under strap connector

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited March 2015
A report on Thursday claims the upcoming Apple Watch boasts a mysterious data connection port, previously undisclosed by Apple, that is currently being used for diagnostics and testing.

Apple Watch faces

According to TechCrunch, the port features six brass contact dots and is positioned inside the bottom groove designed to accept Apple's aftermarket straps. Technically, a six-contact connector is similar to Apple's Lightning protocol, which currently uses six of its eight leads for charging and data transfer.

It is not clear if the port will be included when Apple Watch hits store shelves, but sources inside Apple have confirmed its existence on what the publication believes are shipping versions of the device.

A source said the port currently plays a role in diagnostics, but points out that it could be used as a connection point for accessories in the future. TechCrunch speculates that such a data port could be used as a means to facilitate feature expansion, perhaps "smart bands" that extend battery life or tack on GPS and other sensing capabilities.

Smartwatch maker Pebble recently revealed a similar program for its new Pebble Time series. Dubbed "smartstraps," the initiative is an open platform that will let accessory makers build hardware like GPS or heart rate monitoring.

There are currently no rumors suggesting Apple plans to market such accessories, but the port's existence hints at interesting expansion possibilities, assuming it ships as part of Apple's final design. For example, an expansion port could extend the Watch's lifecycle by offering users a road to upgrade features instead of purchasing a new device every year. This would be especially helpful for buyers looking at expensive gold Apple Watch Edition models.

Apple is expected to reveal more details about Apple Watch at a special event on March 9. AppleInsider will be on hand in San Francisco with live coverage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    It's a tiny hypodermic needle that can inject nano bots.
  • Reply 2 of 37
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member

9to5Mac claims that this port is used for diagnostic purposes for pre-production units and the port will not be present in the final shipping version.

http://************/2015/03/05/apple-watch-has-a-lightning-port-for-development-but-wont-when-it-ships/

That makes sense. Apple generally does not include diagnostic ports in their equipment. They probably have some sort of design philosophy that states that ports must be usable by the end user. 

Also, a diagnostic port implies that the manufacturer expects a certain frequency of failure, again a highly foreign stance to Apple.

In the same way, Apple products generally do not have hardware-based reset buttons. The AirPort base stations seem to be one of the few exceptions, but that makes sense since a misconfigured router might be unreachable to any device.

• Reply 3 of 37
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Oh Apple... that is so clever !
  • Reply 4 of 37
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

9to5Mac claims that this port is used for diagnostic purposes for pre-production units and the port will not be present in the shipping version.

http://************/2015/03/05/apple-watch-has-a-lightning-port-for-development-but-wont-when-it-ships/

That makes sense. Apple generally does not include diagnostic ports in their equipment. They probably have some sort of design philosophy that states that ports must be usable by the end user. 

Also, a diagnostic port implies that the manufacturer expects a certain frequency of failure, again a highly foreign stance to Apple.

In the same way, Apple products generally do not have hardware-based reset buttons. The AirPort base stations seem to be one of the few exceptions, but that makes sense since a misconfigured router might be unreachable to any device

Just because they call it a diagnostic port doesn't mean anything.. at.. all

1. They confirmed it's a lighting port being used for Diagnostics at 9to5

2. Apple uses lighting ports on iPads and iPhones for Diagnostics.. they STILL include those ports on those devices.. kind of disproves your theory right there..

I think the blogs are being stupid.. They should say, "Reports claim Apple Watch has a,
      what looks like, a Lighting port compatible interface being used for Diagnostics".. because, you know, it could be used for more than that... 

3. The port is hidden when you have a watch strap on; so it's not exposed anyway.. This would make compete sense as it's supposed to have some level of water resistance and that part of the strap would seal the port away. 

I bet it stays and is part of an expansion path.. 

• Reply 5 of 37

Apple is so goddamned clever! According to Gruber, the opposite groove has the legally binding marking of "Assembled in China - Designed by Apple in California." What a great way to hide this otherwise obtrusive statement on such a small device. So does this mean that the Apple Watch can't be packaged with the bands already in place, since they would obstruct the wording? That kind of throws some water on my theory that they will all ship with preinstalled white polycarbonate bands. (I thought they'd all have the white band's both for simplicity sake, and also because white is the iconic Apple tone.) Seems like a hassle to separately package the bands though, unless Apple is expecting the vast majority to buy in store, with the strap installed in store. Either way, I'm starting out with the white band.

• Reply 6 of 37
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

Just because they call it a diagnostic port doesn't mean anything.. at.. all

1. They confirmed it's a lighting port being used for Diagnostics at 9to5

2. Apple uses lighting ports on iPads and iPhones for Diagnostics.. they STILL include those ports on those devices.. kind of disproves your theory right there..

I think the blogs are being stupid.. They should say, "Reports stating Apple has a Lighting port compatible interface being used for Diagnostics"..

3. The port is hidden when you have a watch strap on; so it's not exposed anyway.. This would make compete sense as it's supposed to have some level of water resistance and that part of the strap would seal the port away. 

I bet it stays and is part of an expansion path.. 

My hunch is that the port vanishes. All data communications between the watch and the outside world will be wireless (Bluetooth, WiFi), including software updates.

• Reply 7 of 37
    Aftermarket watch straps that could include more battery power? Or possibly future equipment? Or both, being that battery power is supposedly limited already.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Not sure.

They could sell bands that contatin gps or other hardware that connect to the watch

Extended battery band...hell yeah.

• Reply 9 of 37
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

My hunch is that the port vanishes. All data communications between the watch and the outside world will be wireless (Bluetooth, WiFi), including software updates.

Including Restoring/Formatting/Reinstalling the OS?

Nope nope nope and nope.

Lightning port will be on shipping units. Mark it.

• Reply 10 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I pretty sure the band comes in the box. For example the dark steel version only has one band choice if you look at the website.

So, just to explore a bit further, you're saying that if you want to buy the dark steel watch, that you are forced to buy the link bracelet, thus increasing the price? That's what Gruber has been saying. It seems limiting to me, and also risks cornering the consumer with a paradox of choice (multiple price points), which is not typical of Apple. That said, I can also see that Apple would want some degree of curation, given that a significant aspect of the function is actually the aesthetics themselves. Maybe I'm just stuck in thinking that it will be like the pricing of Apple's other products, with consistent base price tiers and optional upgrades. But of course, the Apple Watch is uncharted territory.

• Reply 11 of 37

I thought the Pebble smart strap idea was brilliant but I'll be a little disappointed if Apple didn't think of it first. Apple's smart strap connection - if that's what it is - is certainly in a more elegant position on the watch.

• Reply 12 of 37
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Great feature.. Hope it ships with production model.
    Allows for many creative options down the line !
  • Reply 13 of 37
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    9to5Mac was quick to shoot this story down, even though Tech Crunch said it wasn't for certain this port would ship with the watch. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't. But at the same time I do think Apple has a surprise or two for Monday beyond just having developers on stage showing off apps.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Not so sure about the 1G ?Watch. Apple has a history of limiting 1G devices ability to be upgraded. If Apple isn't prepared to offer some "smart bands" at launch, then they will most likely save it for 2G release. And there's no indication they are gearing up to do that. We'll find out Monday.

• Reply 15 of 37
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

This would be especially helpful for buyers looking at expensive gold Apple Watch Edition models.

The Edition models are probably the best investment an ?Watch buyer can make. At least next year when the new models are half as thick and can do twice as much, the gold in the 1G Edition will likely be worth more than originally paid for it. So melt it down and go buy a new Edition. 

The Edition wearers are the people I'm least concerned about with this product.

• Reply 16 of 37
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    pmz wrote: »

Including Restoring/Formatting/Reinstalling the OS?

Nope nope nope and nope.

Given recent OTA issues with devices having a hell of a lot more onboard storage I can't see them NOT having a wire path for maintenance.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    krawallkrawall Posts: 162member

I had access to a pre-production model and took a photo of the mysterious port:

• Reply 19 of 37
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Oh, another proprietary cable??! Thanks, Obama!
    This is why Apple will never, ever whawhawha wha wha wha whawhawha wha (Peanuts teacher voice)
  • Reply 20 of 37
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    mpantone wrote: »

Doesn't the AppleTV come with some sort of diagnostic port?