Jony Ive's publicity tour continues as he discusses Apple Watch design in new interview

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Another great quote from the piece:

[QUOTE]“It was different with the phone – all of us working on the first iPhone were driven by an absolute disdain for the cellphones we were using at the time. That’s not the case here. We’re a group of people who love our watches. So we’re working on something, yet have a high regard for what currently exists.”
    [/QUOTE]

So to all those who think Apple is arrogantly trying to replace luxury watches STFU.
  • Reply 22 of 54
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    It would be interesting to know what watch Jony Ive is wearing in the picture.
  • Reply 23 of 54
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Well the watch bands I'd have to go out of my way to buy. The watch faces can be changed in the settings.

Ah, I see your meaning.
  • Reply 24 of 54
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    After a long hiatus from using a watch, I'm going to try take a chance on the Apple watch. I'm hoping that the long term focus though is far less health & fitness tracking but more universal - as in enhancing all of your daily life activities. If Apple's advertising for the watch is primarily health & fitness, it will be marginalized as a fitness speciality product that won't be flying off the shelves. In the end, like the iPhone, the app developers will ultimately determine whether or not the watch appeals to the masses or to the few.
  • Reply 25 of 54
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 229member
    What I love about Ive is that every word he says seems so real. Doesn't sound like marketing message - which, frankly, I find oozes out of the likes of Phil Schiller (I sense incidentally that those two aren't so close - he wasn't mentioned once in that New Yorker article and had to push for the watch to be accepted.. probably by marketing)....

He's gracious enough to acknowledge the beauty of existing 'dumb' watches, and wants to make their smart watches as great - and that he'll continue working on gen 2 etc.

Obviously he cant make an exquisite classical watch that he dreams of in the sense that he's severely constrained by relatively bulky batteries and other technology which remains in its infancy. Just as with the iPhone it'll get crafted towards perfection as the technology allows.
  • Reply 26 of 54
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Here's the thing ... What attracts watch wearers to a watch? Is it what it's capable of, or is it how it looks?

The ?Watch is a square piece of black glass inlaid onto a featureless gold or silver box. When the display is inactive, you might as well be wearing a polished onyx stone mounted in a particularly boring bracelet.

When I notice watches, I notice the ornate dials, intricate designs, materials, coloring, and workmanship. The ?Watch may be a fashionable smart watch, but it's hardly the stuff watch lovers like yourself are going to be attracted to. Apple presumes the watch as a replacement for the Rolexes, Citizens, and other personal expressions of style and status on their wrists. The "Edition" seems designed to express status and wealth without any of the substance a Rolex watch is otherwise revealed for -- yes this watch is a basic and featureless mass market assembly line product, but it cost a fortune.

Will you ever learn to appreciate what it can do over its lack of substantive style?

I hardly ever see others peoples watches in detail and so can't appreciate them as they are hidden up a sleeve. Perhaps if it was warmer in the UK we would have short sleeves and our watches would be on show.
  • Reply 27 of 54
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    markbyrn wrote: »
    After a long hiatus from using a watch, I'm going to try take a chance on the Apple watch. I'm hoping that the long term focus though is far less health & fitness tracking but more universal - as in enhancing all of your daily life activities. If Apple's advertising for the watch is primarily health & fitness, it will be marginalized as a fitness speciality product that won't be flying off the shelves. In the end, like the iPhone, the app developers will ultimately determine whether or not the watch appeals to the masses or to the few.

Oh, I don't think there's any chance of them limiting their watch to Fitbit territory.
  • Reply 28 of 54

So I see that article cites the Edition as costing around 4,500  dollar. If it's cited here, in a piece with a sanction interview, and it's described as 'unconfirmed' you can be sure nods and winks were given to sugget that wasnt too far off.. 

- Far less ludicrous than the 10-15,000 price banded about some. Let's get a grip here - unless they have a 10 year trade in programme for upgrades that was nver going to work for a chinese made, electronics device, however much it was made to look fancy.. 0$4,5004,

• Reply 29 of 54
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    From a distance they really all look the same, round chronographs with either a metal or leather strap. At least with Apple Watch I'll be able to change watch faces on a whim.
    And the same is true for the ?Watch -- the difference is, the ?Watch will also look like every other ?Watch even up close, unless your display is illuminated, which you will want to keep to a minimum to preserve battery life. The idea of changing your watch face on a whim is a gimmick and isn't really why most watch owners choose a watch. Most people I know who wear expensive watches (i.e. Over $300) do so as jewelry to make a statement. And the ?Watch is hands down the most uninteresting piece of jewelry I've ever seen, especially when the display is dark. If the ?Watch eventually sells in numbers equal to the iPhone, it will be the digital equivalent of the ubiquitous Armstrong LiveStrong rubber wristband.
  • Reply 30 of 54
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    wdowell wrote: »
    So I see that article cites the Edition as costing around 4,500  dollar. If it's cited here, in a piece with a sanction interview, and it's described as 'unconfirmed' you can be sure nods and winks were given to sugget that wasnt too far off.. 

- Far less ludicrous than the 10-15,000 price banded about some. Let's get a grip here - unless they have a 10 year trade in programme for upgrades that was nver going to work for a chinese made, electronics device, however much it was made to look fancy.. 0$4,5004,

Well the did get the SS pricing wrong (suggesting the Sport and SS watches would both start at $349) to which Apple PR gave comments to 9to5Mac and MacRumors saying the article got that wrong.
  • Reply 31 of 54
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    dachar wrote: »
    I hardly ever see others peoples watches in detail and so can't appreciate them as they are hidden up a sleeve. Perhaps if it was warmer in the UK we would have short sleeves and our watches would be on show.
    Considering your experience is similar to those of everyone else in the UK, why then do you think anyone would wear anything more than a cheap timex on their wrist, if nobody ever sees them, and they only use them to tell time?

And then I have to ask, why do my friends with Rolexes, still pull out their cell phones to check the time?
  • Reply 32 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Well the did get the SS pricing wrong (suggesting the Sport and SS watches would both start at $349) to which Apple PR gave comments to 9to5Mac and MacRumors saying the article got that wrong.

Oh ok - hadn't seen that. Well, that rather muddies the water! Then again, seems an interesting figure to have plucked out of midair as it's not really been the price most people have been citing. Feels more accurate to me as it'll sell relatively well - a nice gift rather accessible to the middle classes for signifiant occasions than exclusively for the nouveau riche/celebs of the world. If it was gen 3 and there was a market already established i would be more confident in higher prices - but go too high initially and it'll be a PR disaster (even if it's all perception). They can always bring out diamond bands and other fancy Edition versions next gen and push prices north as the style element becomes more the focus and the bulky tech gets out of the way with progress.

• Reply 33 of 54
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Therein lies the problem. A watch should be a personal possession. But there is only one design of the Apple Watch, so if Apple were to sell millions, you would be wearing the most impersonal watch you could imagine.

I count ten models (38mm and 42mm in aluminium, stainless steel, dark stainless steel, gold and rose gold), a wide variety of straps plus infinitely customisable software.

• Reply 34 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I count ten models (38mm and 42mm in aluminium, stainless steel, dark stainless steel, gold and rose gold), a wide variety of straps plus infinitely customisable software.

Variations on a theme to be fair so i see his point - anybody will say "Oh that's the ? Watch isn't it?"...  

• Reply 35 of 54
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    "Man you're prett clueless about how Apple and Ive work. He and his team weren't forced to do this -- they *wanted* to do it and had to convince leadership. Do yourself a favor and read the New Yorker profile on Ive before you make another mistake."

So they wanted to take an incredibly easy device and make it harder?
  • Reply 36 of 54
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    richl wrote: »

Not to mention the fact that the Watch is the gateway to the most personal device previous, your iPhone, which is essentially a repository and mirror for your own life and mind. People will be tied to their Watches like they are to their phones, only moreso.

It would take a weekend of ayahuasca to get Benji Frost to understand a point as simple and unsubtle as that. (If he's for real, which I doubt.)
  • Reply 37 of 54
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by peteo View Post

"Man you're prett clueless about how Apple and Ive work. He and his team weren't forced to do this -- they *wanted* to do it and had to convince leadership. Do yourself a favor and read the New Yorker profile on Ive before you make another mistake."

So they wanted to take an incredibly easy device and make it harder?

Well...yes. I remember what the telephone was like in the mid 1960s. The iPhone in my pocket is way "harder." I think the point is that it is made "better." Apple Watch is called a "Watch" because of only two reasons: 1. It resides where watches traditionally are kept (a wrist); and 2. It can display the time. Beyond that it is a totally new device.

• Reply 38 of 54
    matt45matt45 Posts: 9member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Only 15 million?

I see you've tempered your prediction of 40 million in the first year!

That's understandable in the light of Ive's confession of modest sales.

15 million would be a slightly disappointing success.

seriously, at a 350$ minimum, I'd take that "slightly disappointing success"... heck any smartwatch manufacturer will gladly take 10% of that. sheesh. You do understand that's 15M x $350 is over $5.2B

• Reply 39 of 54
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Apple needs to disrupt the razor blade industry.

• Reply 40 of 54
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Interesting watch Ive is wearing in that shot.