HBO Now standalone streaming service launching exclusively on Apple devices for $14.99/mo.

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    -los-los Posts: 15member
    I'll pass for 15, I was hoping for 10 bucks. For 10 bucks I'll go all in and even pay for a year at a time.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Numenorean View Post

$15 is a bit steep, but it depends on what this means:

If you can access all their historical content from any device within that price, then it's not nearly as bad. They have a ton of great content in both series and movies. I wish it was less than that of course, and we'll have to see how their HBO-only offerings compete with Netflix at that price range.

Just pondering...

I would imagine it is going to be just like HBO Go.  It will have all of the episodes, from all of the seasons of the majority of their shows.  There will likely be some shows missing because of rights issues (I believe Sex In The City, and Mr Show are missing along with some others).

It should have most if not all of the HBO documentaries.

It will have whatever movies they have the rights to at that time.  So while HBO might have shown a certain movie 3 years ago they may no longer have the rights to it, so they wouldn't be able to show it.  But any movie you see on the schedule for the linear channels now should be included.

• Reply 24 of 38
    richlorichlo Posts: 46member

Are cable companies all over these boards? Saying $15.00 is too much but $10.00 is doable? What about all the other costs associated with cable + HBO ,Set Top box rental, FCC fees, state and local fees, a forced channel guide plan,  you are paying well over $15.00 when that is all calculated. 

• Reply 25 of 38
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    redhotfuzz wrote: »
    I just dropped my DirecTV subscription ($110/mo) and have been using Hulu ($8/mo) and Netflix ($8/mo).  If I add HBO ($15/mo) I'm still saving big over my old DirecTV subscription, with which I didn't even have HBO.

Live sports are the only real downside right now.

I wouldn't be surprised that if in the near future if much of live sports didn't go back to the major networks, and viewable OTA.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    I would imagine it is going to be just like HBO Go.  It will have all of the episodes, from all of the seasons of the majority of their shows.  There will likely be some shows missing because of rights issues (I believe Sex In The City, and Mr Show are missing along with some others).

It should have most if not all of the HBO documentaries.

It will have whatever movies they have the rights to at that time.  So while HBO might have shown a certain movie 3 years ago they may no longer have the rights to it, so they wouldn't be able to show it.  But any movie you see on the schedule for the linear channels now should be included.

You're absolutely correct. Most of their programming going back for years is on there, plus all the movies they show within the month, not the select few that are on VOD. They've been adding content all the time, and I wouldn't be surprised if Sex In The City is on there soon.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MackyMoto View Post

Add me to the chorus... $15? I can get it from cable for $10. Why would I switch? Is this going to be the future, paying more money for individual channels we want and ultimately paying more for less than we get now with cable? I hate my cable company, but HBO is not helping me leave them with this high subscription fee.

I see this more as a replacement for Netflix. I never watch broadcast TV or cable TV.

You can view HBO's 'back catalog' plus current offerings. Netflix is supposed to be raising their price to $9.99 a month.

When they do that, I might consider dropping Netflix for HBO. For only $5 more per month, you'd be getting a lot more current movies & shows.

• Reply 28 of 38
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHotFuzz View Post

I just dropped my DirecTV subscription ($110/mo) and have been using Hulu ($8/mo) and Netflix ($8/mo).  If I add HBO ($15/mo) I'm still saving big over my old DirecTV subscription, with which I didn't even have HBO.

Live sports are the only real downside right now.

For that the new Sling whatever-it-is has ESPN 1 and 2.

• Reply 29 of 38
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MackyMoto View Post

Add me to the chorus... $15? I can get it from cable for $10. Why would I switch? Is this going to be the future, paying more money for individual channels we want and ultimately paying more for less than we get now with cable? I hate my cable company, but HBO is not helping me leave them with this high subscription fee.

But how much are you paying for your total cable bill? Certainly not $10.

• Reply 30 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by xixo View Post

I see this more as a replacement for Netflix. I never watch broadcast TV or cable TV.

You can view HBO's 'back catalog' plus current offerings. Netflix is supposed to be raising their price to $9.99 a month.

When they do that, I might consider dropping Netflix for HBO. For only $5 more per month, you'd be getting a lot more current movies & shows.

Netflix irritates me because so many of the good titles are DVD only and I gave up DVDs for online only access. This HBO Now might be a good supplement.

• Reply 31 of 38
    thebuddathebudda Posts: 28member

I'll pay $15 for 2-3 months each year for Game of Thrones rather than torrenting them, otherwise I'll save my money the other 9+ months of the year unless they come up with something really notable 

• Reply 32 of 38

Netflix irritates me because so many of the good titles are DVD only and I gave up DVDs for online only access. This HBO Now might be a good supplement.

You can rent movies for a fraction of the DVD cost.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You can rent movies for a fraction of the DVD cost.

I was referring to the Netflix DVD by mail service.

• Reply 34 of 38
    redhotfuzzredhotfuzz Posts: 313member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by elroth View Post

For that the new Sling whatever-it-is has ESPN 1 and 2.

I thought the Slingbox only works with cable/satellite subscriptions?

• Reply 35 of 38

I was referring to the Netflix DVD by mail service.

Ahhhh gotcha. That's the studios' fault, not Netflix.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    redhotfuzz wrote: »

I thought the Slingbox only works with cable/satellite subscriptions?

You're confusing DirecTV's new service called Sling TV for Slingbox.

http://www.cnet.com/news/sling-tv-everything-you-need-to-know/

Edit: Btw some Slingboxes come with a TV tuner, and you can transmit OTA TV as well.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Ahhhh gotcha. That's the studios' fault, not Netflix.

Yes, I'm well aware of the reasons.

• Reply 38 of 38
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    dtm1212 wrote: »
    $14.99 per month? Yeah good luck with that HBO.

I think they'll do fine. They've done fine for decades as a premium add-on channel, now you don't even have to get basic to get this.
    mackymoto wrote: »

With cable TV, you're also paying for channels that you don't watch because they're in the bundle. I suppose you can argue that with the HBO offering here, you're also paying for shows that you're not watching. But the cable/sat packages compound the problem.

At the moment, the price seems fine, I don't think it's reasonable to compare to Netflix Instant catalog.

I'll see what they have to offer. It's better than the free weekend once or twice a year that they had on the satellite service.