MacBook Air updated with Broadwell CPUs, Thunderbolt 2 connectors, faster flash

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnarchitect View Post

With all the new 'books' sporting TB2 is a new 27" TB2 display far behind?

At $999 a pop I don't think there will be much demand. The only reason to buy one of Apple's  really expensive displays is becasue its about the only display on the market that can be daisy chained, to do that it has a TB  in and out port. Of course the laptop needs to be able to drive a lot of pixels , as in the MacBook Pro can support up to 6 displays. But anyone who can afford 6 x $999 dispolay isn't short of money!

I currently drive 3 X LG ($150) 24inch ultra wide screen format monitors off my Macbook Pro! 

• Reply 22 of 26
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by johnarchitect View Post

With all the new 'books' sporting TB2 is a new 27" TB2 display far behind?

What’s the point? Thunderbolt 3 is what we need for a standalone retina display.

• Reply 23 of 26
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    What’s the point? Thunderbolt 3 is what we need for a standalone retina display.

Or you can use DP1.3.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

With the new decently priced 12" MacBook Retina out there now. Is anybody going to want a plain old MacBook Air anymore, even with improved specs?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by IdleWanderlust View Post

if you want small form factor with expandability yes.

1.  The MBA's on the path to legacy and the new MB's the forward wedge, but there's a rich legacy out there.  My 13' MB Air (i7/8GB/512GB) is my main computer and I'm driving a DVI monitor off the TB port and have a full 7 port USB dongle with things I have to switch in and out.  (External drives, optical drive, printer, scanner, charge phone, charge reserve battery for devices, etc.)

So no, it doesn't travel much, but unlike an iMac I can take it on a plane when I do change locations for a week or a month.

I also know there are increasingly robust and affordable wireless ways to accomplish most of these things, and the new Macbook's gonna be fine for that, but all of my periphs are serviceable gear in great condition that fit into a honed workflow, so not in a hurry to reinvent my digital life with every rev or minor evolutionary step. 

2. I doubt the Intel M would give me what my i7 does (and I push that).  And I'd rather have a TB drive than the 512 I have.  Also, while retina's desirable (and certainly moving down the production cost curve), I find the current resolution adequate - it's more screen real estate I'd really crave. 

3. Given the price as well, I really think the new MB's at least partly aimed at road warriors who want more portability than an Air and more robust computing capabilities than iPad in the field.....

....who are on corporate expense accounts and can have a bag 'o dongles in their stowed luggage for when they need to hook up to a projector to make a biz presentation, etc., and have another main machine at their office (and maybe another at home)... 

And like the original Air, it'll look great on a barely computer using CEO's desk....

• Reply 25 of 26
    1983 wrote: »
    With the new decently priced 12" MacBook Retina out there now. Is anybody going to want a plain old MacBook Air anymore, even with improved specs?

Sure the new 12 inch MacBook isn't powerful enough for some users and the MacBook Pro with Retina maybe out of their price range or not portable enough for them. Yes it lacks the retina display but it still has a great screen. The Air's price, power, and weight fits most people's needs. It will probably become Apple's best selling laptop.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

I am using a new Air i7 and I am very happy with it. I was worried it wouldn't able to handle FCPX, but the Air has handled everything I've thrown at it without a stutter. Big external screen. Display port. Fans barely kicking on.

It doesn't sound like the new Macbook would have been the right choice for me personally -- in terms of processing power.