GameStop pledges to support Apple Pay in wake of Apple Watch event

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2015
Another major retail chain, GameStop, has announced plans to support Apple Pay in the aftermath of yesterday's Apple Watch press event, with preparations underway to introduce the payment technology later this month.

The gaming retailer says it will begin rolling out Apple Pay nationwide in March, eventually covering all of its 4,200-plus US outlets. It's not clear how long the complete rollout will take, and shoppers are encouraged to ask clerks if a store is on board.

Yesterday Marriott International revealed plans for a much slower Apple Pay deployment, which will see just 11 US hotels gaining the option this summer. It also announced a separate Apple Watch app, which will support check-in and notification features but won't allow users to unlock doors as at some SPG hotels.

Retail Apple Pay transactions require an iPhone 6, 6 Plus, or an Apple Watch; app-based payments are possible with an iPad Air 2 or iPad mini 3.

In recent times Apple has begun reaching out beyond major chains to recruit independent merchants. It also appears to be laying the groundwork for launching Apple Pay in regions outside the US, including Canada, China, and Europe.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Everything that happens today happened in the wake of the Apple Watch Event.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I'm a fan of our local gamestop and this will just add to my positive shopping experience , but basically doesn't this mean all nfc payments ? Not just apple pay ?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    I'm surprised GameStop still exists. I'd think it's all cheaper to buy online. Do people need to go to test games before they buy? If not, then what's the benefit of a B&M store over ore-ordering from, say, Amazon?
    I'm a fan of our local gamestop and this will just add to my positive shopping experience , but basically doesn't this mean all nfc payments ? Not just apple pay ?

1) I would think so. I know this is an Apple-centric site, but it would be nice if they at least mentioned border support from other companies.

2) Why do put a space both before and after all punctuation?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I'm surprised GameStop still exists. I'd think it's all cheaper to buy online. Do people need to go to test games before they buy? If not, then what's the benefit of a B&M store over ore-ordering from, say, Amazon?

Instant gratification is a helluva drug. Plus there's also a big secondary market for pre-owned games that they cater to.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I think it has to do with typing on my iPhone 6. I tend to just hit space before i do a punctuation. Or it does it automatically and I have to delete the space.