Google Calendar comes to iPhone, 'Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath' hits Mac

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2015
Two significant apps hit Apple's mobile and desktop operating systems today, as the long-awaited Google Calendar debuted for iPhone and console classic Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath landed on Mac.

Google Calendar for iPhone

On the iPhone Google Calendar carries over many features from its Android counterpart, including suggestions when entering event details, and the ability to spawn new events based on the content of Gmail messages.

The centerpiece of the app is the Schedule view, which organizes events into a single timeline with graphics matched to keywords, locations, and seasons.

Full-day and three-day views are also available; users can jump to a particular day of the month by tapping a drop-down menu at the top of the screen. One feature missing on iOS is a Week view. The app does, however, support Exchange and iCloud calendars in addition to any created with Google.

The app is a free download for iPhones and iPods running iOS 7.0 or later, but no native iPad support exists.

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath makes jump to Mac

Originally released for consoles in 2005, and ported to iOS in 2014, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath is now available for Macs via the Mac App Store. Players assume the role of Stranger, a bounty hunter in an alien version of the Wild West that finds himself fighting outlaws preying on innocent townspeople.

An unusual addition is cross-platform iCloud integration, allowing people who own the Mac game to resume saved progress on iOS, and vice versa. It also supports Retina displays through to the 5K iMac, and preset gamepad configurations based on consoles like the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 4.

Stranger's Wrath costs $10 and requires OS X 10.8 or better.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

I use Apple's calendar, but competition is good. There's room for improvement in Apple's calendar.

• Reply 2 of 7
    This is almost the same as google inbox app, I didn't get how to use it. I am happy with built-in calendar and old gmail app, works perfectly. If google is so inclined, they should have come up with something like outlook app, all-in-one app.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    It is time for Apple to improve it's own native calendar app. I can't believe the IOS native calendar app is same for all these IOS iterations/years. Come-on apple, do something. If you have problem what to improve on than look at few appstore calendar apps and you will get idea for what additional basic features to add.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    mnbob1mnbob1 Posts: 269member
    wood1208 wrote: »
    It is time for Apple to improve it's own native calendar app. I can't believe the IOS native calendar app is same for all these IOS iterations/years. Come-on apple, do something. If you have problem what to improve on than look at few appstore calendar apps and you will get idea for what additional basic features to add.

I'm not sure which iOS version you started with but the calendar app has improved significantly over the last few major releases. If you want to see it at its best try it out on an iPhone 6 plus in landscape mode. Actually take a look at a lot of system apps in landscape mode. The 6 plus is the best iPhone I've had. I started with the iPhone 3.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    mnbob1 wrote: »
    I'm not sure which iOS version you started with but the calendar app has improved significantly over the last few major releases.

No kidding. I love the smooth scroll in the month view and being able to have two months on screen at the same time. All other electronic calendars fee archaic with that one simple feature.

Speaking of archaic - I can't believe the Kindle App still ony does page flips and doesn't support scrolling!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    philotechphilotech Posts: 106member

I'd rather have an iOS app for the Google Notes. That's pretty much the only web and Android service by Google that has no matching app on iOS.

Haven't tried Google Calendar yet on iOS (I'm on Android most of the time), but I'd say the native Apple Calendar would be "good enough" for 95% of the people, so there wasn't really a pressing need to release an app.

• Reply 7 of 7
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mnbob1 View Post

I'm not sure which iOS version you started with but the calendar app has improved significantly over the last few major releases. If you want to see it at its best try it out on an iPhone 6 plus in landscape mode. Actually take a look at a lot of system apps in landscape mode. The 6 plus is the best iPhone I've had. I started with the iPhone 3.

Just look at simplest calendar app like "Week Cal" app.  Not a fancy app but provides simple useful features and views. Few basic features like when day's event is displayed under month view, each event displays alert symbol next to it. Month view needs to be shrink to display more events below like "Week Cal". There is no event/agenda for the week view. No mini month view like other week-cal app. Each event for the day can be assigned a different color so it shows up as that color dot under a day on month view and number of dots equals to number of events for that day.  Min month view shows event title in month view. I can go on and on for such basic features that IOS native calendar should start adding. I am not asking fancy features, just simple features and view.