Apple issues apology as iTunes & App Store outage persists for 7+ hours

Posted:
in iCloud edited June 2015
Apple on Wednesday issued a rare public apology to customers, as the company's high-profile digital storefronts continue to suffer hours-long global outages sparked by what Apple is calling an "internal DNS error."

Apple Maiden NC Data Center

Racks of Apple's iCloud servers in Maiden, NC

"We apologize to our customers experiencing problems with iTunes and other services this morning," Apple told CNBC. "The cause was an internal DNS error at Apple. We're working to make all of the services available to customers as soon as possible, and we thank everyone for their patience."

The outage affects the iTunes Store, iBooks Store, App Store, and Mac App Store. Users are unable to buy apps or other content, and in some cases are prevented from downloading updates and even opening already-purchased apps.

Problems first surfaced early Wednesday morning Eastern time, though the company did not acknowledge the issue publicly for several hours. Privately, Apple representatives told developers that the problem would shortly be resolved, though that did not turn out to be the case.

According to Apple's system status dashboard, technical issues also brought down its iCloud mail and account web services at the same time, though those appear to have been restored to full operational status.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 83

7+ is an understatement 16 hours and counting in the UK

• Reply 2 of 83
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    7+ hrs? Crazy.

I'm not gonna bitch and whine, since it didn't affect me personally.
  • Reply 3 of 83
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Some one is going to be in trouble...
  • Reply 4 of 83
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    It also affects "iTunes connect" which is the developer portal into the app store for uploading apps, etc. That is not listed separately on the Apple System Dashboard page, though it should be. Each of the separate stores is listed though I believe they all run from the same system.
  • Reply 5 of 83

It's not like this is a common occurance. Accidents happen.

On the plus side, iOS 8.2 has been the most rock-solid version of iOS to date, IMO. Very, very pleased with it.

• Reply 6 of 83
    Clearly it was caused by the sheer fugliness of those server rack doors!
  • Reply 7 of 83
    In the UK and had no problems today...
  • Reply 8 of 83
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

On the plus side, iOS 8.2 has been the most rock-solid version of iOS to date, IMO. Very, very pleased with it.

I have to say, that today iOS 8.2 froze my iPhone 6 for a few minutes, and then re-booted. That was the first time since years of iPhone usage on 3 different models!

• Reply 9 of 83
    I was nearly done with a iPad air2 restore (always takes too long) and re-sync and thought the problem was just me and tried everything including losing (resetting) all my settings ;-( when I did not need to do so :-/
  • Reply 10 of 83
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

True, and I'll beat the trollers to the punch with the obligatory "This wouldn't have hapened if Steve were alive" post.

• Reply 11 of 83
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 226member
    I haven't been able to access my iTunes Match on my Mac for several hours. Rare though this is, it's cruel reminder that Apple's Services dont live up to their hardware and 'offline' software

Will I be offered anything in compensation for this subscription failure?
  • Reply 12 of 83
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,030member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wdowell View Post

I haven't been able to access my iTunes Match on my Mac for several hours. Rare though this is, it's cruel reminder that Apple's Services dont live up to their hardware and 'offline' software

You are advised to direct your inquiry to Apple support.

• Reply 13 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

True, and I'll beat the trollers to the punch with the obligatory "This wouldn't have hapened if Steve were alive" post.

My response is the same as always:

• Reply 14 of 83
    Quote:

I hear they'll give you a copy of Songs of Innocence.

But seriously, outages happen. I hardly think this justifies "compensation".

• Reply 15 of 83
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    macapfel wrote: »

I have to say, that today iOS 8.2 froze my iPhone 6 for a few minutes, and then re-booted. That was the first time since years of iPhone usage on 3 different models!

Not for me. My 3G rebooted one. My 5, maybe a few times on iOS 7 but iOS 8 even on iPhone 6+, IMO, was/has been terrible. I swear it's like using my HTC One sometimes.

Going to update to 8.2 this afternoon, hope it's as good as the previous user stated because I wouldn't say 8.1 is better than plain Android on stability in my experience. Looking forward to My Apple device to behaving like an Apple device. Even Yosemite needs some work on my mid-2012 retina 15".
  • Reply 16 of 83
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

The queue has iMovie in it for update.

I expect I'll survive.

• Reply 17 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

Not for me. My 3G rebooted one. My 5, maybe a few times on iOS 7 but iOS 8 even on iPhone 6+, IMO, was/has been terrible. I swear it's like using my HTC One sometimes.

Going to update to 8.2 this afternoon, hope it's as good as the previous user stated because I wouldn't say 8.1 is better than plain Android on stability in my experience. Looking forward to My Apple device to behaving like an Apple device. Even Yosemite needs some work on my mid-2012 retina 15".

It has been for me. It's been weird too, as from 7.1.2 onward I had this increasingly contentious relationship with my iPhone and iPad. It was getting really frustrating. But now it almost feels like something is missing, it's just so...uneventful.

• Reply 18 of 83

Oddly not being able to use iTunes and App stores didn't bother me as much as Game Center was down (now up) and I guess I really needed my Boom Beach game addiction fix..

• Reply 19 of 83
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Indded for a 7 hour gap that will be a $0.02 reimbursement. ($25 into 365/7=== $0.0029 per hour).

Try and pace yourself on your spending spree.

• Reply 20 of 83
    darendinodarendino Posts: 126member

It was the CIA! - they finally cracked it