Apple designers Jony Ive and Marc Newson to appear at Conde Nast luxury conference

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    xixo wrote: »
    Jony always looks so pouty in these press photos. I bet this year he packs it in for real and heads back to the UK.

The MacBook with only one port is some kind of design revenge on Apple for paying him an obscene salary not to quit.

Have people forgotten the original MBA? One USB port. $1799. Here's a review to refresh your memory.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1131864/macbookair.html

Steve Jobs would be drooling over the new MackBook if he were alive.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Have people forgotten the original MBA? One USB port. $1799. Here's a review to refresh your memory.

That MBA was a jet setter executive machine. They never even used the one USB port.

Besides @xixo was just joking around and I thought it was funny.

• Reply 23 of 34
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

If they have any sense they won't want to try. If Apple wants to be a maker of expensive fashion gadgets that will be collecting dust in a drawer within a few years, good for them. Those other companies have more interesting, important and useful things to do.

What a hilariously moronic and sort sighted statement. Yeah, Apple just makes useless toys and "fashion gadgets". That's it. Where the **** are all these "useful" things that Microsoft and Google have created the past few years, that trump Apple's contributions and influence of the tech landscape? More "interesting" things? You do know that both Google and Microsoft have wearables right? 'Important"? You do know that these 2 companies have desperately tried (and failed) to mimick Apple's business model the last few years, right? 

Quote:
    Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

Well, we'll check back in three years and see how many version 1.0 Apple Watches are still in use. I'll guess very few indeed. The other part of your statement is just flat out moronic. As if the only things Google and Microsoft make are crappy Android tablets.

In my experience, trolls like you never admit they're wrong after the fact, so don't even pretend that's a possibility. In 3 years most iPhones are not even in use anymore, having been replaced by the user. What the hell is your point? Should Apple never update the Apple Watch, so people like you don't get butthurt? Pathetic. Apple is going to dominate the smartwatch industry, and make massive inroads into the entire watch industry, creating a new ecosystem worth billions of $$$, and strengthening the one they have-  while  cynical people like you spit from the sidelines. 

• Reply 24 of 34
    philsphils Posts: 22member

Powerful Statement? what a joke...  who cares? Apple was already powerful.... 

Also, your statement regarding the other companies and not being allowed in the same room with Jony Ive and Marc Newson sounds extremely arrogant... If Apple had the same opinion as yours then they would be in deep trouble....

Def. not the company Steve built... 

• Reply 25 of 34

You actually sound like the type of guy Steve hated. So full of yourself and not willing to admit that even Apple can make mistakes.  He made that clear many times...Guess what? Not everything that Apple has made has been great... They made mistakes and they will make mistakes in the future.Hopefully Apple stays humble and avoids listening to opinions like yours. The moment they start thinking they are invincible thats when they start going down.  

On the other hand, even Steve recognized Microsoft and Google as successful companies. I don't like Google, but that doesn't mean that everything they make is garbage.... a clear example of a good product is Google Maps...which you probably use... You also seem to forget that Microsoft invested  150 million in Apple when it was about to collapse. So before you start your hardcore ignorant opinions do your research boy.. 

Regarding your opinion of Apple dominating the watch industry... lets wait and see. I doubt it... 

• Reply 26 of 34
    Blah blah blah... Say what you want but this is clearly not the company that Steve built.... a watch sending happy faces, icons, your heart pulse... all BS...reading emails on a tiny screen???? (really???) The watch itself is just an expensive gadget... and time will show that.... what makes the watch interesting is the sport data you can collect... just like the nike band... Other than that... it doesn't solve a problem... is mostly gimmicks and people will get tired of that quickly...

This forum is now full of hardcore, blind Apple followers that don't like other opinions. If you criticize anything you are immediately labeled a moron, ignorant, pro Samsung, Google...you name it.... And I don't think thats actually good for the company... I've been a Mac customer for over 20 years and I will keep being one...but that doesn't mean that I have to agree and like everything that they make. Liking everything that they make would actually make me a bad client.... just because products get better from positive AND negative feedback...

Apple is not about luxury per se... at least not in the fashion sense.... Apple was (Steve Era) about good taste, clean & simple design and making technology usable & accessible to everybody.... and yes, that itself carries a premium prize... but not because is a luxury fashion item...

Mark my words.... Apple Watch will eventually fade...
  • Reply 27 of 34

Blah blah blah... Say what you want but this is clearly not the company that Steve built.... a watch sending happy faces, icons, your heart pulse... all BS...reading emails on a tiny screen???? (really???)  The watch itself is just an expensive gadget...  and time will show that....  what makes the watch interesting is the sport data you can collect... just like the nike band... Other than that... it doesn't solve a problem... is mostly gimmicks and people will get tired of that quickly... 

This forum is now full of hardcore, blind Apple followers that don't like other opinions.  If you criticize anything you are immediately labeled a moron, ignorant, pro Samsung, Google...you name it.... And I don't think thats actually good for the company... I've been a Mac customer for over 20 years and I will keep being one...but that doesn't mean that I have to agree and like everything that they make. Liking everything that they make would actually make me a bad client.... just because products get better from positive AND negative feedback... 

Apple is not about luxury per se... at least not in the fashion sense.... Apple was (Steve Era)  about good taste, clean & simple design and making technology usable & accessible to everybody.... and yes, that itself carries a premium prize... but not because is a luxury fashion item... 

Mark my words.... Apple Watch will eventually fade... 

• Reply 28 of 34
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Wow. Did Jony find the keys to the pie fridge?
  • Reply 29 of 34
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by McDave View Post

Wow. Did Jony find the keys to the pie fridge?

HealthKit and ?Watch should take care of that, him and Schiller.  Otherwise they would be unsuitable spokesmen for their products.  :-)

• Reply 30 of 34
    What design will Jony Ives "borrow" from Dieter Rams next? ;)
  • Reply 31 of 34
    solipsismy wrote: »
    The initial price was $7500. Even when adjusting for inflation that's well under $20,000.

desuserign wrote: »
    Yup! I think he's remembering a later auction price on the 20th A Mac.
    Apple Lisa $9,995 in 1983 (@$23K today's dollars.)
    Also read there was an Apple server that sold for nearly $20K (initial price) but I don't know what it was called or when it came out. Possibly this doesn't fully fit the "consumer product" qualification though.
    Today's topped out MacPro sells for over $20k, but so far I've been limiting myself to base prices only. Seems like a cheat to me.

Ah, thanks for refreshing my memory, guys.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    50miles wrote: »

Ah, thanks for refreshing my memory, guys.

No problem. I use MacTracker to quickly pull up these answers.

• Reply 33 of 34
    solipsismy wrote: »
    No problem. I use MacTracker to quickly pull up these answers.

Downloaded, thanks for the tip!
  • Reply 34 of 34
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I would argue that's only partially correct. The fashion industry needs a certain creative type for the designs so ones without the "vision" (i.e.: posers) will get found out right away, but they seem more than willing to say whatever crap they feel will work best at a given moment, so I don't wouldn't put too much into that statement alone.

I almost cried laughing.  I love SBC!  And Bruno is probably my favourite character.  The guy at the end was so vacant and SBC sensed comedy gold and went for it!  The ending was perfect.