Project Titan, SixtyEight & SG5: Inside Apple's top-secret electric car project

135678

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 146
    baysidebayside Posts: 19member

    Even more than that, it's for bicycles powered by Mr. Fusion!

    (see middle entry, below)

     

  • Reply 42 of 146
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

    I was thinking the Apple shaped beam of light shone onto the clouds to get ARSA ... Apple Road Side Assistance.

     

    And then Google’s inevitable car presence…

     

    ?? “Like an omnipresent totalitarian government, Google is there!” ??

     

    A black portal opens up, lightning flashing from within and tentacles slithering out of it, the screams of the damned heard muffled behind the roar of wind. Eric Schmidt steps out of it.

     

    “Hey, hi, how’s it goin’? Oh, your car’s broken? Sure, I’ll fix it. Anything for our product customers.”

     

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

    Why would Apple be so secretive…

     

    I’m gonna stop you right there.

  • Reply 43 of 146
    irelandireland Posts: 17,749member
    paxman wrote: »
    What makes me doubt the whole thing is wether an Apple Car would dilute the Apple brand. Apple's name may help launch and sell the thing, but persistent problems could also tarnish the brand.

    That's applies to any new product Apple develops. That's an awful reason to doubt Apple getting into the car market. Apple's a product company, an experiences company, and Apple is certainly now a green company. An electric car would be a product that pushes Apple very much so but it may also be Apple at their best. Just at the turning point where electric cars are about to go mainstream Apple could be there to take their slice of the pie in a way only Apple can.

    I'd love to see what Apple can do in this space.
  • Reply 44 of 146
    tmaytmay Posts: 5,253member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by zklausz View Post

     

    It has to be just for Carplay.  Wouldn't developing an actual car require a ton more space?  Like airport hanger size 


    Yeah. or maybe it is just a location to outfit the mapping vehicles.

     

    My tiny little machine shop is 3000 square feet, and there isn't any room to develop much of anything in it of any size, certainly not a car.

     

    I'm not buying this as a automotive design facility. It's absolutely too small, and not secure enough.

  • Reply 45 of 146
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,134member
    dcorby23 wrote: »
    The car on the render on the top of the page looks a lot like Trabant. (the 70s and 80s East Germany vehicle, not sure if it could count as a "car").
    It is a concept design by Marc Newson..
    Imho..hideous !
  • Reply 46 of 146
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,666member
    ireland wrote: »
    That's applies to any new product Apple develops. That's an awful reason to doubt Apple getting into the car market. Apple's a product company, an experiences company, and Apple is certainly now a green company. An electric car would be a product that pushes Apple very much so but it may also be Apple at their best. Just at the turning point where electric cars are about to go mainstream Apple could be there to take their slice of the pie in a way only Apple can.

    Yes, Apple is a product and 'experiences' company, but that is a very broad description. Under that banner Apple could develop a garden rake, or a new impact drill. They both fit the category as do virtually all consumer goods. Brand dilution is a real and valid consideration in terms of bringing a product to market though perhaps not a good reason not to develop a product. My point is that if you spread yourself too thin you loose impact. Yahoo is an example that comes to mind - what exactly does that company do?

    I am not saying Apple shouldn't develop a car, I am just pondering the wisdom of bringing an Apple branded car to market.

    I'd love to see what Apple can do in this space.

    And I fully agree. Can you imagine the hysteria around the launch? What would have been the best is if Apple could have done this without anyone finding out. It would have been the most spectacular 'And one more thing...' ever.
  • Reply 47 of 146
    smalmsmalm Posts: 670member

    Where all car companies fail more or less is the CUI - the Car User Interface.

    Apple will fix that.

     

    For everything else - who needs Apple?

  • Reply 48 of 146
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,408member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by smalM View Post

     

    Where all car companies fail more or less is the CUI - the Car User Interface.

    Apple will fix that.

     

    For everything else - who needs Apple?




    You mean the D.U.I. (Driver User Interface)?  ;) 

  • Reply 49 of 146
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

     



    you may vehemently disagree, but as someone who owned several MGB in UK, all from the late 60's to late 70's, the MGB is alive and well, but lives under the miata mx5 badge. the new 2016, although way too  little horses for me now, looks incredible. Pisses me off the was BL screwed up the MG marque.




    Sadly I agree, as an owner of a MGB '74 1/2 Late Model the Miata is the closest thing out there.  Almost bought a MX-5 in 1998 but ended up with a BMW R12C instead.

  • Reply 50 of 146
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post





    No doubt it will be highly customizable and featuring: The, ?Car, the ?Sports Car and of course the ?Edition Car. There will be a myriad of Ive designed seat styles, dash board styles (you change them with a knob on the steering wheel) and wheel types. Coming in aluminum, steel and solid gold for the 1% of society with 99% of the money.



    BTW: I am saddened the glowing Apple was EOL on the new MacBook. I only hope that was a constraint due to thinness on that one product. A glowing Apple Logo would look Cool on the ?Cars image

    Fear not.

     

    The Apple logo will be built into the taillights...

  • Reply 51 of 146
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,023member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

    They are trying to keep everything secret. If they used their own building it would be too obvious


    Look like they're busted now. What're they gonna do? Move to another anonymous building? To me, it's not about the location, but employees they hired leaked information. So, doesn't matter if the project is moved in house or into an unknown location, it's still leaked. These employees have no pride and respect in what they're working on. Stupid.

  • Reply 52 of 146
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,023member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

     

    Fear not.

     

    The Apple logo will be built into the taillights...


    That would look awesome. Just make the hollow ring around Apple logo like BMW headlight.

  • Reply 53 of 146
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    razorpit wrote: »

    I'd hope for more of a Triumph or MGB look.  :-)

    To me those are just classic designs.

    Among front-engine cars, yes. But there's no reason to put an electric motor over the front wheels, which take most of the steering, braking and suspension stress of the vehicle.

    Tesla's solution should be attended to. The main motor's in the back and the batteries aren't even loading the front.

    The joys of driving a rear engine car are worth any trade-off in oversteer. But overall balance must be calibrated. Porsche found that no more than 63 per cent of the weight could go behind the rear axle. Mid-engine is of course also fantastic.

    Anyway, no need for the long phallic engine compartment if you're going electric. Tesla is needlessly conventional in its design in that respect.
  • Reply 54 of 146
    neilmneilm Posts: 893member



    It's not merely obvious, but public knowledge, that Apple is interested in the automotive market — CarPlay. There's no evidence whatsoever that Apple is interested in building cars, and every reason to suppose that they would not be: massive capital investment, entrenched and competent global competition, low margins, pervasive and incompatible government regulations, and on and on. Ask anyone who works in the car business and they'll tell you you'd be crazy to want to get into it. Even Tesla, which has been exceptionally creative in carving out an Apple-like market space, has yet to make dollar one in profit.

  • Reply 55 of 146
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,134member
    Nice report and investigative work AI:)
  • Reply 56 of 146
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    [QUOTE][I]I asked my girlfriend if she'd give me a 68 the other day. "A 68?" she said. "Yes, you give me a blow job and I'll owe you one!"[/I][/QUOTE]
  • Reply 57 of 146
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    flaneur wrote: »

    Tesla's solution should be attended to. The main motor's in the back and the batteries aren't even loading the front.

    The joys of driving a rear engine car are worth any trade-off in oversteer. But overall balance must be calibrated. Porsche found that no more than 63 per cent of the weight could go behind the rear axle. Mid-engine is of course also fantastic.

    Anyway, no need for the long phallic engine compartment if you're going electric. Tesla is needlessly conventional in its design in that respect.

    Not entirely needless. That large front crumple zone, without an engine in it, is one of the things that makes the Model S so safe. Plus there is a frunk for storage.
  • Reply 58 of 146
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    sog35 wrote: »
    There is way too much smoke to be no fire.

    1) The only thing I despise more than argumentative fallacies, are when they're stated using stupid clichés.

    2) There's been many years of smoke for the Apple Television. How has that worked out?
  • Reply 59 of 146
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    quinney wrote: »
    Not entirely needless. That large front crumple zone, without an engine in it, is one of the things that makes the Model S so safe. Plus there is a frunk for storage.

    Good points, but there's that gaping maw. To cool the luggage?

    Actually, I gotta get over to the showroom. Is maybe the AC condenser behind that grille?
  • Reply 60 of 146
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

    2) There's been many years of smoke for the Apple Television. How has that worked out?

     

    Well, analysts now have lung cancer. That’s a plus.

Sign In or Register to comment.