The art of deception: How Apple attempts to keep its secret projects under wraps

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    When Asteroid leak out and then we heard apple was on a which hunt I said then it was a fake program to route out the leaks. I think Apple knew the people were inside, but they wanted to know the paths of the information and put the fear into anyone who got their hands on companies secrets to think twice about what they were doing. The big question I had at the time why would Apple go to this extent, if anything it just confirms the existence of the product. Today so much leaks out and half of it is not real so it had to know what is or is not going to be a project.

However, look at how much leaked about the iphone 6, so much information was out there it made me believe Apple was doing it themselves to slow sales of Samsung products which it did. If you do not believe this, ask why so much was known about the iphone 6 and nothings was known of the watch, both being done at the same time. It was done of purpose.

Apple is the master of this, they been doing this since the late 80's letting some information out and other information close to the vest.
  • Reply 42 of 57
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Its worth noting that Apple didn't create the hype machine. That was created by the get-rich-quick rumor website industry (of which AI and Engadget are a part of). And fans' appetite for leaks.
    Appleinsider is certainly in the rumor industry, but get-rich-quick? Not so sure. They publish lots of articles daily. Some derived from easily cited sources with minimal editorial, but some clearly based on deep research and real journalism. I've found a lot of the rumor analysis here to be very close to the mark and I don't think it's fair to characterize this as a get-rich-quick business.
  • Reply 43 of 57
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

In heavily congested cities (such as New York), or where it is prohibitively expensive to own a vehicle (Japan and New York), shared vehicles might become a thing. The vast majority of the world is not a dense metropolitan environment, so I see such vehicles as being quite limited in their appeal.

Yeah, it might take decades to move past the current car-ownership model.  But think of it this way: nearly everything about owning and operating a car is a pain: buying, storing, maintaining, insuring, parking, registering, getting a drivers' license, worrying about your teenage kids, paying speeding tickets, avoiding enraged / inattentive / distracted drivers on the road, etc.  And pretty much everything about public transportation is a pain: driving or walking to the train / bus station, standing up when it's crowded, dealing with random idiots on occasion, walking from the station to your destination (or transferring from train to bus), and all that.

We pay a premium to avoid public transportation.  We buy or rent cars or by pay taxi drivers for their service.  But at some point in the future, it will be possible to use cars only as we need them, and have them function like precise door-to-door public transportation.  Like Zipcar but without the awkwardness of having to find the nearest one.  It'll just drive to wherever you are.

I'm a "car guy." I do enjoy a brisk drive on a mountain road with the top down, snicking that 6-speed manual transmission into exactly the right gear at exactly the right time, perfectly matching revs on downshifts by heel-and-toeing the brake and gas pedals.  And I think there will always be a market for "sporty" cars that you drive yourself.  The way there are still horses for equestrians to ride.  But I'm resigned to the possibility that the mass market will move to self-driving cars used on-demand.  Convenience and lower cost will win in the long term.

• Reply 44 of 57
    Nice job ripping off the title of Kevin Mitnick's book, Appleinsider.
  • Reply 45 of 57
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by woodycurmudgeon View Post

Nice job ripping off the title of Kevin Mitnick's book, Appleinsider.

By Way of Deception was taken.

• Reply 46 of 57
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    sockrolid wrote: »
    Yeah, it might take decades to move past the current car-ownership model.  But think of it this way: nearly everything about owning and operating a car is a pain: buying, storing, maintaining, insuring, parking, registering, getting a drivers' license, worrying about your teenage kids, paying speeding tickets, avoiding enraged / inattentive / distracted drivers on the road, etc.  And pretty much everything about public transportation is a pain: driving or walking to the train / bus station, standing up when it's crowded, dealing with random idiots on occasion, walking from the station to your destination (or transferring from train to bus), and all that.

We pay a premium to avoid public transportation.  We buy or rent cars or by pay taxi drivers for their service.  But at some point in the future, it will be possible to use cars only as we need them, and have them function like precise door-to-door public transportation.  Like Zipcar but without the awkwardness of having to find the nearest one.  It'll just drive to wherever you are.

I'm a "car guy." I do enjoy a brisk drive on a mountain road with the top down, snicking that 6-speed manual transmission into exactly the right gear at exactly the right time, perfectly matching revs on downshifts by heel-and-toeing the brake and gas pedals.  And I think there will always be a market for "sporty" cars that you drive yourself.  The way there are still horses for equestrians to ride.  But I'm resigned to the possibility that the mass market will move to self-driving cars used on-demand.  Convenience and lower cost will win in the long term.
    FYI: Here is a link to my favorite podcast. It is about marketing but this episode deals with the 'sharing economy' and focusses largely on car ownership. Statistical facts: The average car spends 23 hours per day parked in the driveway. (And just for fun - the average usage of an electric drill in its lifetime is - wait for it - 13 minutes!)
    http://www.cbc.ca/1.2983680
  • Reply 47 of 57
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

FYI: Here is a link to my favorite podcast. It is about marketing but this episode deals with the 'sharing economy' and focusses largely on car ownership. Statistical facts: The average car spends 23 hours per day parked in the driveway. (And just for fun - the average usage of an electric drill in its lifetime is - wait for it - 13 minutes!)

http://www.cbc.ca/1.2983680

"Suddenly, new online companies launched to serve that growing segment of the population who no longer want to possess a car."

Thanks for the link to the "sharing economy" story.  Fascinating and yes, inevitable.

We're right on the verge of a massive sea-change in many industries.

Looking forward to it all.

• Reply 48 of 57
    castcorecastcore Posts: 141member
    Lol, no I know the guy who owns this company. Rich kid with daddy check wanted to setup a company but never did it. I know he was asked several time by Apple wanting to rent his space but he said no. There is no secret car project there lol
  • Reply 49 of 57
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Why does Apple have to state it for it to be true?

http://time.com/3426087/apple-iphone-6-cost/

Sleazy article, and it ill represents you in this forum. Did you miss the next to last paragraph out of carelessness or a desire to keep the truth filtered out?
    The figures don’t give a complete picture of the costs that go into the iPhone. Apple also spends money on research and development, software, shipping, marketing, licensing and other costs. But even with all expenses included, Apple’s margins are huge. The company had gross margins of 39.4% in the most recent fiscal quarter, an improvement from 36.9% the year prior.
  • Reply 50 of 57
    Think about all the issues of manufacturing and marketing and dealerships, etc. and you will soon see why Apple nor Google will build and sell automobiles.. With major players in that biz as they are it is SYSTEMS the car makers need. The techers need patents and systems to sell. Auto safety is a viable commodity as is self-navigation. The car makers of today don't have what Apple and Google have in that realm. The "secret" is right in from of us.

Same with the Appe watch. Few, too few, will spend $17,000US for a disposable wrist notifier. The wrist is the wrong place unlike the Comm brooch or pin of Star Trek fame. ST tossed out the wrist communicator after one film. Hmmm, wonder why? Not viable!

All the secrets are right in front of us. Don't you think Apple wants its watch to open your car, and home, office? Become a security badge for company entry, and, a tracking device for hikers in the National forest? The secret is right there. The watch needs a solar cell, better transceiver ability. It will come....in time. The secrets are out in the open. Look and you will see.
  • Reply 51 of 57
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    ronstark wrote: »
    Same with the Appe watch. Few, too few, will spend $17,000US for a disposable wrist notifier.

Too few for what? How many people buy $17,000 watches per year? Too few because its less then smartphone unit sales?
    The wrist is the wrong place unlike the Comm brooch or pin of Star Trek fame. ST tossed out the wrist communicator after one film. Hmmm, wonder why? Not viable!

Now that's sound reasoning¡ :rolleyes:
  • Reply 52 of 57
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Now that's sound reasoning¡ image

With the iPhone steadily evolving into a tricorder don't knock the Nostradamus effect of Star Trek! :D

• Reply 53 of 57
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    I need a 4k apple TV.
  • Reply 54 of 57
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    herbapou wrote: »
    I need a 4k apple TV.

I recently bought a 60" 1080p set. I expect to replace it within 4 years, which is why i bought the 4-year extended warranty.

My reason for not getting 4K UHD has todo with support more than content. I won't buy one until my devices by and large support HEVC/H.265 in HW. I will be surprised if decoders aren't in every new Apple device moving forward.

Once that happens then I expect Apple to introduce H.265 to Apple Store*. I expect that to get event time because of how much it positively effects the user experience to have downloads and storage less than half the current size, which means playing 1080p files soon after starting the download (or stream) happens much sooner for all users.

We know the iPhone 6 series has this capability for both encoding and decoding FaceTime to other iPhone 6 series devices so I have to assume it was added only because of this HW addition, not a SW-only solution.

* The time games could be a little off. For example, Apple may detail support at WWDC before their yearly iTunes event in Autumn, or the pro Macs might not get support until, say, the next event a month later.
  • Reply 55 of 57

My point is/was; a traditional timepiece costing $17,00.00 US would be a lifetime investment in one of the best hand-crafted instruments money can buy. In purchasing an Apple Watch at the same price the longevity of the AW is what, three, maybe, years? Its likely that few people will invest in such an expensive extension to their already-fantastic iPhone. Noting, here, just for conversation sake, that the Watch cannot stand alone as a device of any kind without the presence of the iPhone host.

AND, the concept of the Comm brooch or pin is an easier one....its all audio! The Siri concept makes that ideal. Think about those greeting cards with a sound chip inside...when you open the card music plays, people sing...its fantastic. Now take the idea and make it in to a Comm badge that is tethered to the iPhone. No more need of ear phones or single ear plugs to hear a conversation or notification. The Iphone, like Apple Pay, should be able to open hotel room doors, your house or car and the Comm badge will extend the audibility of the iPhone. This is a much better, in my view of course, use of wearable tech than a "watch". Remember, most people who work on computers take off their watch to type all day. A tiny screen on your wrist is a distraction and an inconvenience to say nothing of being an intrusion the wearer can't ignore easily. And, it takes two hands to operate....not good while driving. And, while the Watch is as well-made and scratch resistant as it can be one good whack  and its history. Its meant to be worn all the time not just at special occasions. This makes the Watch super-vulnerable to damage and loss. The Comm Pin requires nothing to look at! Oh yes, it can vibrate too. And, if you're looking for fashion the Comm pin can have many different fronts or "tops" to overlay so that a wearer can customize the appearance of the pin. High fashion jewelers can design $17,000 US fronts, and others can create national symbols or club logos or company emblems....all that can be used on a new pin model when released! The base stays the same and the front or "top" can be a personal expression. It can be simple or fancy and the base price for the pin itself is modest to market to the widest group of users....everyone!

And, yes, the iPhone is becoming very much a Tricorder in its way. And will grow more so along the way. 

Yup, the secrets are right there in front of us...just look! 

• Reply 56 of 57
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    HoloLens is Geordie LaForge's visor.
  • Reply 57 of 57

As it might seem. What fascinates me is how so many of the "systems" or established tech is not included in current and up-coming

products.

Two that come to mind immediately are solar power and inductive charging. The battery on both Apple Watch and iPhone would "live long and prosper" if there was a built-in solar cell somewhere in each. Too, a solar cell would, in a power-poor environment, help insure the functionality of the hardware extending battery life, perhaps, immeasurably. Inductive charging is a "natural" and is way overdue. But in both cases Apple has no reason to include them. The prices of both phones and watches, assuming the watch catches on, are so high now that users who adopt both modalities must prepare for after tax cost of $1,200.00 US to renew them yearly.  Of course that doesn't include the line service fees or data charges. It adds up to more than  $4,000.00 US after tax per year per user for watch, phone, accessories, service fees, data charges and AppleCare. Rather than a watch Apple might have engineered a two line phone! Now that might happen faster than you think.

Point is, there are lots of "secrets" but they're mostly known. Dick Tracy of comic strip fame still has a better communication device than we do today!