Upcoming Apple Watch shop at Tokyo's Isetan department store could be permanent display

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited March 2015
Apple is constructing a dedicated Apple Watch shop at the trendy Isetan department store in Shinjuku, Tokyo, a display that could become a permanent fixture when the device launches in April.




Spotted by Macotakara, work on an Apple Watch store at Isetan's Shinjuku flagship is underway, with recently erected black protective barriers bearing the device's logo and the words "Coming Soon."

At Isetan, the Apple Watch display area will be located in the accessories section on the first floor near the main entrance, next to Cartier and a jewelry stand selling goods from high-end brands Boucheron, Chaumet, Mauboussin and Tiffany's.

The publication believes Apple's Isetan display might be a semi-permanent fixture given its prominent presence as a dedicated brand outlet within the store's accessories section.

Unlike U.S. chains like Macy's, where browsing customers can pick up items from one area and pay almost anywhere, many department stores in Japan follow a continental style where floor space is segmented by brand, often with dedicated employees. Exceptions to this layout include smaller items like scarves, or expensive products like watches and jewelry, which are collected in showcases and sold alongside similar products.




An online floor plan lists the area as being under construction with no expected completion date, though it can be assumed Apple will open the area to customers before the device launches on April 24. Alternatively, the showroom may open in time for Apple's preorder and hands-on preview phase, which is slated to start on April 10.

Rumors have it that Apple will build similar installations into fashionable department stores around the world, including Paris' Galeries Lafayette. Last week, a report surfaced claiming Apple is looking to partner with Nordstrom, but the company has yet to officially comment on the matter.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 18

    Got to buy that $17K watch somewhere. :)

  • Reply 2 of 18
    I always said that they need a separate shop to sell the watch, and this is Apple's concession to that philosophy.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Future standalone Apple Watch luxury boutique opening in some high-end shopping mall in Hong Kong / Kuala Lumpur / Singapore / Dubai / Paris / New York, perhaps? ????
  • Reply 4 of 18
    nycsbnycsb Posts: 9member

    Seems like the new Apple will be taking a cue from all the Fashion Exec hires. Just as Fashion has Haute Couture vs Off The Rack or Marc Jacobs vs Marc by Marc, Burberry vs Burberry Brit, etc... You will soon have stores & boutiques (Madison Ave, Rodeo Drive) for the ultra wealthy Apple Elite and the good old regular Apple for the rest of us. It is a great idea. I cannot think of a better company to make higher end products out of reach to so many, that the ultimate goal is to somehow strive to acquire them. So much for the old Apple, "the democratization of high modern design for the masses". Pro tip, Buy the stock on dips!

  • Reply 5 of 18
    It looks like Apple is unfolding a watch strategy that will be difficult for competitors to easily copy.

    The rush to beat Apple with having a smart watch on the market most definitely has not been a financially winning strategy for the Android Wear camp. There were no long-term plans made. Even now the Android Wear camp is taking potshots at Apple, but are not offering their customers a coherent message.

    With the Apple Watch stores opening, Apple is sending a crystal clear message it is a company with a coherent message for its customers. That message inspires trust. Confidence.

    I am looking forward to seeing Tim Cook and company to pull of something extraordinary with Apple Watch.

    I am also watching for next move from the "fast follower". Opening a new store that attempts to mimic Apple after closing stores due to lack luster sales probably will not inspire long-term trust and confidence. I could be wrong.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,589member
    I always said that they need a separate shop to sell the watch, and this is Apple's concession to that philosophy.
    Strange choice of words, there. I am not sure opening one shop constitutes a philosophy (what philosophy?) Even if more such shops were to open I'd see it as part of a larger philosophy. But to say that this is Apple's 'concession' to a philosophy strikes me as an unnecessary negative slant on Apple's decision as if this philosophy was somehow externally imposed and Apple was in some way obliged to concede.
  • Reply 7 of 18

    paxman, sog35, Benjamin Frost writes the way he writes to agitate people who visit this forum. Just take a look at his posts to understand.

  • Reply 8 of 18
    irelandireland Posts: 17,521member

    How do you we know this isn't a regular new Apple store advertising the ?Watch is coming in time for the store opening?

     

    That would be my take away from this '?Watch' banner.

  • Reply 9 of 18
    astra4astra4 Posts: 46member
    I want the one with the stainless steel enclosure, reckon it will tell the time without an iPhone by its side?
  • Reply 10 of 18
    rebe1rebe1 Posts: 30member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

     

    How do you we know this isn't a regular new Apple store advertising the ?Watch is coming in time for the store opening?

     

    That would be my take away from this '?Watch' banner.




    Having been to that (luxury) department store, each section of the department store sells different types of items, i.e. bag section, tie section, hat section.  This photo is most likely from the watch section, and definitely from within the department store (the department store takes up the whole building).

  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

     

    How do you we know this isn't a regular new Apple store advertising the ?Watch is coming in time for the store opening?

     

    That would be my take away from this '?Watch' banner.


     

    Um, because Apple is not likely to put a regular store in an "Accessory" area of a high-end department store. Also, this is not the first of such reports although it is the first that actually says ?Watch on the construction boundaries. That may well just be the result of the Spring Forward event having occurred and the launch date being public.

  • Reply 12 of 18
    mpantonempantone Posts: 1,349member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

    So if you want to use the AppleWatch as a Watch only it has a 7 day battery life.  Something the press and trolls refuse to bring up.


     

    No reason for the press to bring this up. No one expects any Apple Watch customer to use it simply for timekeeping.

  • Reply 13 of 18
    sog35 wrote: »
    I always said that they need a separate shop to sell the watch, and this is Apple's concession to that philosophy.

    What a genius.  Did you think they would sell the Gold AppleWatch right next to the $50 Galaxy Gear?

    Thank you for the compliment.

    Apple don't sell Samsung phones, so I wouldn't have expected them to sell Apple Watches next to Galaxy Gears.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,085member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post



    I always said that they need a separate shop to sell the watch, and this is Apple's concession to that philosophy.

     

    Their "concession"? Yeah, they just saw your posts here and "conceded". Beyond your delusions of grandeur, in the actual real world, Apple drew up these plans long before you even knew about or started trolling the watch. Also, if you're not aware, Apple still plans to sell these in every SINGLE one of their retail stores, so again, not sure what your point is. It's clear Apple always intended to sell this to an even wider demographic than their own stores, in environments that cater more to the fashion/luxury crowd. Key word, in addition to, not "instead" of. But I'm sure this is just somehow more mythical "evidence" of the inevitable failure of the product, how Apple has no confidence in it, etc etc. 

  • Reply 15 of 18
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Their "concession"? Yeah, they just saw your posts here and "conceded". Beyond your delusions of grandeur, in the actual real world, Apple drew up these plans long before you even knew about or started trolling the watch. Also, if you're not aware, Apple still plans to sell these in every SINGLE one of their retail stores, so again, not sure what your point is. It's clear Apple always intended to sell this to an even wider demographic than their own stores, in environments that cater more to the fashion/luxury crowd. Key word, in addition to, not "instead" of. But I'm sure this is just somehow more mythical "evidence" of the inevitable failure of the product, how Apple has no confidence in it, etc etc. 

    In his defense, he didn't say Apple "conceded" because of his comments here. That said, his point is still ridiculous because we've known since the week before it was a announced that this device would firmly plant itself in the world of fashion, thereby making it a very different product to sell compared to anything else Apple has ever dealt with.

    There is no concession. This is Apple doing what was obvious to everyone else over 6 months ago, and to Apple at least a couple years ago. At least! I was even saying on this very board when the rumours started and other vendors were coming out with their VEDs (Virginity Enforcing Devices) that the only way the CE wearable market takes off is with a fashionable device that leaves the gate with an un-Apple-like number of styles. I did think that a round face would be ideal for breaking that ground — this was well before the Moto 360 was announced — and I still feel that's the most attractive look, but I also agree that you're wasting a lot of space with an obsolete design that puts form far too ahead of function.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,085member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post





    In his defense, he didn't say Apple "conceded" because of his comments here. That said, his point is still ridiculous because we've known since the week before it was a announced that this device would firmly plant itself in the world of fashion, thereby making it a very different product to sell compared to anything else Apple has ever dealt with.



    There is no concession. This is Apple doing what was obvious to everyone else over 6 months ago, and to Apple at least a couple years ago. At least! I was even saying on this very board when the rumours started and other vendors were coming out with their VEDs (Virginity Enforcing Devices) that the only way the CE wearable market takes off is with a fashionable device that leaves the gate with an un-Apple-like number of styles. I did think that a round face would be ideal for breaking that ground — this was well before the Moto 360 was announced — and I still feel that's the most attractive look, but I also agree that you're wasting a lot of space with an obsolete design that puts form far too ahead of function.

     

    "There is no concession." Exactly. I was responding to BFs horse-shit, in which he twists everything Apple does in the context of him being vindicated, or "right", based on some ridiculous predictions he made. For example, he's always attacked and mocked the iPhone 6 as a "horrible" product, then basically milked "bendgate" for all it was worth and much, much more in giddiness to prove how "right" he was. And now, every single piece of rumor or news about the Apple watch, and every single aspect of the device, is somehow evidence of him being "right" about it being a horrible product and a complete failure. It would be pathetic and laughable, if he wasn't actually serious. He claims that he "rests his case" after every fucking piece of news, as if he's proven beyond a doubt the product is the biggest failure in Apple's history- even before it has even gone on sale. It was humorous at first, but after thousands of posts of the same shit, it's beyond tiring. The sad thing is that people never get banned for this kind of intellectual dishonest and never-ending trolling, but I always do, for calling them out on it. 

  • Reply 17 of 18
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    slurpy wrote: »
    "There is no concession." Exactly. I was responding to BFs horse-shit, in which he twists everything Apple does in the context of him being vindicated, or "right", based on some ridiculous predictions he made. For example, he's always attacked and mocked the iPhone 6 as a "horrible" product, then basically milked "bendgate" for all it was worth and much, much more in giddiness to prove how "right" he was. And now, every single piece of rumor or news about the Apple watch, and every single aspect of the device, is somehow evidence of him being "right" about it being a horrible product and a complete failure. It would be pathetic and laughable, if he wasn't actually serious. He claims that he "rests his case" after every fucking piece of news, as if he's proven beyond a doubt the product is the biggest failure in Apple's history- even before it has even gone on sale. It was humorous at first, but after thousands of posts of the same shit, it's beyond tiring. The sad thing is that people never get banned for this kind of intellectual dishonest and never-ending trolling, but I always do, for calling them out on it. 

    I have to assume your ban was because of something you wrote to him or about him. May I suggest putting him on your ignore list. Not because he's a dissenter, but because he longer seems to have anything interesting to add to the conversation.
Sign In or Register to comment.