Apple Watch faces yield issues as Apple taps Foxconn to build, Samsung to provide OLEDs - report

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    jidojido Posts: 125member
    If they do make a titanium version I may consider buying one.
  • Reply 22 of 25

I'll be more curious if preorders start "selling out" on April 10th or if they will reveal release numbers

• Reply 23 of 25
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    A tip from my production history. It's far too late in the game to be talking about yield for a basic/core component such as screens. Those issues would have been worked out long ago - additionally this is not a particularly challenging screen either.

The bulk of screens would already be produced, The watch will be available in stores in a month from now. We're much further down the production roadmap than basic componentry.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ECats View Post

A tip from my production history. It's far too late in the game to be talking about yield for a basic/core component such as screens. Those issues would have been worked out long ago - additionally this is not a particularly challenging screen either.

The bulk of screens would already be produced, The watch will be available in stores in a month from now. We're much further down the production roadmap than basic componentry.

@Ecats : Firstly, the AMOLED manufacturing is known to be notoriously difficult and costly that only Samsung has been able to produce them in volume.   Remember when HTC was forced to switch to SONY Super TFT-LCDs from AMOLED because Samsung couldn't produce enough of them for outside customers?  That was back in 2010 and Samsung is still pretty much the only one.

Second, the first three-month sales usually accounts for about 35% of Apple's annual iphone sales and, according to some analysts like Horace Dediu of Asymco, Apple keeps its inventory rate at about 5%.   We don't know what Apple's Watch sales projection is like, but it's highly unlikely that they have enough Apple Watches in stock to last 2 or 3 quarters.