Nomad Pod promises to be first portable battery pack for Apple Watch

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited March 2015
Accessory maker Nomad has announced the Pod, an unusual portable battery pack designed explicitly for the Apple Watch, allowing the iPhone accessory to last beyond the advertised 18-hour uptime.

The Pod uses a puck-like design, inside of which is an 1,800 mAh battery. Apple's official Watch charging cable coils around an inside ring, with the charging disk slotted into a space up top. This means that once the Pod is charged, nothing else has to be plugged in or even unwrapped before use.

Under most circumstances, a micro USB cable is needed to charge the pack, while a standard USB port delivers output. Also available however is a USB-C connection, which can be used for both input and output. The format is present on few other devices so far, namely Apple's 12-inch MacBook and Google's Chromebook Pixel.

Nomad says that the Pod should be able to deliver four full charges to the Watch. The pack has yet to go into production, but Nomad tells TechCrunch that it has been in contact with Apple and is simply waiting for the final dimensions of the Watch charger before manufacturing.

The first batch of Pods should ship on June 15. Silver, space grey, and matte black plastic versions will be available, and can be pre-ordered for $60 each.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    Cool.

Not often I get to say "I told you so." :-)
  • Reply 2 of 19
    It has been said before, and this drives the point home: Apple needs to develop a universal charging cable. Now I need three cords when I travel. Do I need to carry two different Mophie type devices?
  • Reply 3 of 19
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

https://www.apple.com/watch/battery.html

It says 18 hours.

Quote:

Apple Watch battery performance claims are based on test results from the 38mm Apple Watch. A 42mm Apple Watch typically experiences longer battery life.

• Reply 4 of 19
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sanyasi View Post

It has been said before, and this drives the point home: Apple needs to develop a universal charging cable. Now I need three cords when I travel. Do I need to carry two different Mophie type devices?

Yes, I expected this. I already have one 30-pin backup charging block, had to buy a lightning connector model, and now if I get an ?Watch, another custom model for that. And that's just backup to the three different proprietary cables, and multiple charging bricks I already carry. My travel bag is definitely getting fatter!

• Reply 5 of 19
    It's a creative way to wind the cable, but I don't see the cable being that long though. I can't think of a time where you would find this useful, your out and about all day, with no outlets near by your watch dies and you want to plug it in. Maybe there backpacking in the wilderness and bring batteries for everything.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    What would be really cool is for Apple to design the next watch so that the wrist band can safely have multiple batteries inside of IT and contacts added where the band connects to the watch.

Long battery life integrated. and no one would ever see the add on.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    mac_128 wrote: »

Yes, I expected this. I already have one 30-pin backup charging block, had to buy a lightning connector model, and now if I get an ?Watch, another custom model for that. And that's just backup to the three different proprietary cables, and multiple charging bricks I already carry. My travel bag is definitely getting fatter!

What? Don't your "charging blocks," as you call the wall transformers, have USB jacks, into which you can plug either a 30 pin or a Lightning cable? As usual, I call BS on your post. And I don't think you should be allowed to buy a Watch after what you've been saying about it.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

That didn't take long. I like the leveraging of the already owned Apple charger to lower the purchase price. 

• Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

What? Don't your "charging blocks," as you call the wall transformers, have USB jacks, into which you can plug either a 30 pin or a Lightning cable? As usual, I call BS on your post. And I don't think you should be allowed to buy a Watch after what you've been saying about it.

First of all you are assuming something I did not mean. The term "charging block" in this instance refers to the backup portable battery supply referenced in this article. For the record, many manufacturers call this product a "charger" and mine happen to be shipped like blocks. I used the term "charging brick" to refer to the "wall transformers" term you used, which Apple calls "Power Adapters".

But as to your point, I guess you never have to plug in two devices to charge simultaneously? Must be nice just to have enough time to charge one device at a time, only in one AC powered location, with the sole Power Adapter Apple gave you with your products. Yeah BS indeed.

• Reply 10 of 19
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

So a total of 8 days on a single charge if you only need the time.

What's the point of buying a f***g Apple Watch then?

• Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:

Good.  Now all the cry babies can STFU about battery life.

The Watch can last 3 days on Watch mode.

And 5 days on low power mode.

And thats for the 38mm Watch!

• Reply 12 of 19
    But as to your point, I guess you never have to plug in two devices to charge simultaneously? Must be nice just to have enough time to charge one device at a time, only in one AC powered location, with the sole Power Adapter Apple gave you with your products. Yeah BS indeed.

http://www.amazon.com/ALLPOWERS-10000mAh-Dual-Port-Portable-Technology/dp/B00KSTC3WG?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-iphone-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00KSTC3WG

10000 mah, solar powered, ac powered, 2x usb... Thought about one of these? I thought I had seen one with more than 2 (4x usb? Can't remember).
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ExceptionHandler View Post

10000 mah, solar powered, ac powered, 2x usb... Thought about one of these? I thought I had seen one with more than 2 (4x usb? Can't remember).

Nice! That would be excellent for camping trips, especially since the ?Watch has to be charged daily.

The ones I have now are the compact slim-line kind like this: 

http://www.amazon.com/colorful-Charger-UltraPower-Battery-iPhone4/dp/B00MB6CSA6/ref=sr_1_169

http://www.amazon.com/1900mAh-Portable-External-Battery-Charger/dp/B00RX9GFAA/ref=sr_1_692

It makes more sense with all I have to charge now to buy the universal kind ... which of course means buying more chargers to accommodate the ?Watch! But still there are so many out there now, and they are so cheap ... I should pick up several.

• Reply 14 of 19

Nice! That would be excellent for camping trips, especially since the ?Watch has to be charged daily.

The ones I have now are the compact slim-line kind like this: 

http://www.amazon.com/colorful-Charger-UltraPower-Battery-iPhone4/dp/B00MB6CSA6/ref=sr_1_169
    http://www.amazon.com/1900mAh-Portable-External-Battery-Charger/dp/B00RX9GFAA/ref=sr_1_692

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">It makes more sense with all I have to charge now to buy the universal kind ... which of course means buying more chargers to </span>
    accommodate<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> the </span>
    ?W<span style="line-height:1.4em;">atch! But still there are so many out there now, and they are so cheap ... I </span>
    should pick up several.

I keep my apple chargers at home always plugged into wall. Out and about I use third party chargers/batteries and not single purpose ones like the one in this article. They are over priced - the one I linked to is $20 cheaper and does more.

Usb is the universal charger...
  • Reply 15 of 19
    I keep my apple chargers at home always plugged into wall. Out and about I use third party chargers/batteries and not single purpose ones like the one in this article. They are over priced - the one I linked to is $20 cheaper and does more.
    Usb is the universal charger...
    We think alike. I paid $10 for 10 small block chinese knock-off apple power adapters that I carry around with me in case I lose them, which happens a lot more than I'd like.

USB is great, but it also means I have to carry cables around too. Of course that was back in the days of a single 30-pin adapter. Now that the ?Watch has added a third proprietary cable to the daily recharge lineup, I think it makes a lot more sense. I just hate the thought of all those cables tangled in the bottom of my bag. It also means somebody might want to borrow mine, and I risk losing it too. Wonder how soon cheap chinese knock-off ?Watch cables will hit the market?

Fortunately most car power adapters already have two charging ports built-in. But I'm still going to have to buy a separate cable that stays in the car for any new proprietary device. I've got four as it is ... 30-pin, lightning, Two different mini-USB.

All my power adapter bricks stay at home or office as well, plugged into outlets behind furniture. I've got a set in the bedroom, and a set in the living room, and a set in my office.

The worst is when I travel with my laptop, because that power adapter and cable gets added to the bag as well. I wish Apple would make one power adapter that powered all of their products. I would think it could power at least three devices at once, including the MacBook -- that would certainly reduce my load.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    sog35 wrote: »

Awesome! Pay $19k for your pimped-out Apple Watch Edition (AWE for the shock and awe it causes), Then I can stylishly have a wire running from my suit pocket to my wrist! Probably wouldn't be all that noticeable if I snaked it through my clothes. Just think! This could be an amazing opportunity for all you singles out there! "Hey, gorgeous! Will you help me... put on my watch? *sly wink*. Would be even more awesome at the beach.

Wired for time! Sounds cool, too! I'm so in!

How can anyone knock battery life now? Apple Watch lasts 8 days if you have it on your wrist but don't use it. But who needs to turn it on when the point is the statement it makes, "Look, bitches! I can afford at $19k watch and you can't!" With four recharges from this Nano Pod, that's almost a month and a half of pure style and statement on your wrist, almost into Kindle territory for battery life. Take THAT, Pebble! Bam!
  • Reply 17 of 19
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

If you only need the time, no one would buy an Apple Watch.  So your attempt at justifying the lousy battery life is just sad because no one would use it just for the time.  That is why they wear a regular watch that has a battery life for years, or carry their phone.  But now you can look like a total douche with your iPhone, an Apple Watch, and an external battery pack to keep the dumb watch powered up for a day.  I bet you will invest in more cargo shorts to handle all of that crap.  Carrying around three products is so much easier and cooler than having just one.  Enjoy wasting your money with the other lemmings.

• Reply 18 of 19
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Roake View Post

Awesome! Pay $19k for your pimped-out Apple Watch Edition (AWE for the shock and awe it causes), Then I can stylishly have a wire running from my suit pocket to my wrist! Probably wouldn't be all that noticeable if I snaked it through my clothes. Just think! This could be an amazing opportunity for all you singles out there! "Hey, gorgeous! Will you help me... put on my watch? *sly wink*. Would be even more awesome at the beach.

Wired for time! Sounds cool, too! I'm so in!

How can anyone knock battery life now? Apple Watch lasts 8 days if you have it on your wrist but don't use it. But who needs to turn it on when the point is the statement it makes, "Look, bitches! I can afford at $19k watch and you can't!" With four recharges from this Nano Pod, that's almost a month and a half of pure style and statement on your wrist, almost into Kindle territory for battery life. Take THAT, Pebble! Bam!

They will still look like an idiot spending $500 to $1,000 for the mid-level watch.  But they will think they are cool with the charging cord dangling from their wrist.