Photo allegedly reveals Apple Store demo kit for trying on in-ear headphones

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2015
A new photo, published on Friday, shows what is claimed to be a demonstration kit Apple Stores will soon use for customers to try on in-ear headphones, something that might otherwise be uncomfortable or unsanitary.

The image, from Japanese blog Macotakara, depicts a tray with several different brands, including three Beats models -- the Tour, urBeats, and PowerBeats 2 Wireless -- plus three models from other companies. These include the JayBird BlueBuds X, Bose QC20i, and RHA MA450i. Notably missing are Apple EarPods.

The kit reportedly contains tips of different sizes, which should allow any person to try on headphones that have also been properly sanitized between uses. Apple already lets users try on-ear or over-the-ear headphones, but these come in fixed sizes and may not need to be cleaned as regularly or as thoroughly.

The emphasis on Beats products may suggest that Apple isn't interested in upselling customers to EarPods, which are already included with new iPhones. The Beats brand may be both more popular and more profitable.

It remains unclear when Apple might roll this kit out to its retail stores. The changes could come alongside a more sweeping update, spearheaded by retail chief Angela Ahrendts and design lead Jony Ive, that will alter some facets of the Apple Store formula to support sales of the Apple Watch beginning next month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    They're already in use. At least here in France.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    This is real. I've actually used this service already, a few weeks ago in my home town. I wasn't sure to believe the staff in the store who said I was the first in the world to use it. Maybe I was after all!

Ended up with a nice set of Jay Bird Bluetooth in-ear headphones. And you get to keep the packet of silicon buds too.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    It isnt allegedly. They are real. I just did it the other day. They gave a box of dozens of sets of the tips so they use and trash for each customer
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The emphasis on Beats products may suggest that Apple isn't interested in upselling customers to EarPods, which are already included with new iPhones.

err is not upselling the idea that you sell something more expensive with a higher profit margin?  How can selling the EarPods which are included with new iPhones be consider upselling?  I don't get it.

• Reply 5 of 14
    davemcm76davemcm76 Posts: 268member
    How can selling the EarPods which are included with new iPhones be consider upselling?  I don't get it.

The EarPods that came with my iPhone 5 came out of their case once for about 5 minutes in which time I discovered that much like the Earbuds before them they don't fit in my ears comfortably and so are completely useless to me... The EarPods that came with my iPhone 6 have never been opened...

Instead I got myself some SkullCandy Fix 2.0 earbuds which have been absolutely marvellous.
  • Reply 6 of 14

Oh boy, AI.

Something to protect us from transfer of earwax from one person to the other in an Apple Store is worthy of a story? Really?

• Reply 7 of 14
    I used this kit to try out headphones in Las Vegas several weeks ago. So%u2026%u2026 not new (or really news at all%u2026%u2026 certainly not worthy of an entire article).
  • Reply 8 of 14
    rebe1rebe1 Posts: 30member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Oh boy, AI.

Something to protect us from transfer of earwax from one person to the other in an Apple Store is worthy of a story? Really?

Yes it is, it is a change of sales practice in North America, so it is Apple news and worthy of a story.

• Reply 9 of 14
    caskeycaskey Posts: 33member
    This isn't new at all. I worked at the Apple store 7 years ago and we had kits like this.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Already in use in the new Apple Store in Edinburgh. Fresh tips are used for each customer and you can keep them rather than them being binned. Much more hygienic than the on or over ear demo headphones which all and sundry try on with no sterile wipes to use before you try them. Not before time do Apple now employ a proper try before you buy facility for this type of earphone. Other companies take note.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,285member
    Agree. I bought in-ear headphones at an Apple Store about 3-4 years ago and they brought out a similar (if not identical) box.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Ew.

• Reply 13 of 14
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Ew.

Who really knows where those earpieces have been?
  • Reply 14 of 14
    armiarmi Posts: 4member
    Indeed they are in use here in CERRITOS CA Apple Store, , I used them last week, and they don't sanitize between uses , you remove the them yourself and keep them , they use new rubber ear covers each time