Apple Watch stars in Elle Australia magazine's styling section

13»

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 57
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djbeta View Post



    I started distance running a year and a half ago and the worst thing is to have to interrupt your run to see who's calling, texting or emailing you. I'm pretty busy and get a lot of incoming "messages." I love that I will be able to monitor who's trying to reach you without pulling out your phone.

    So you run with your phone currently? Many runners I know don't, and others wear it on their arm. Just curious. The watch will greatly improve those kinds of things, including receipt of the notifications. I currently miss half the notifications I get on my iPhone when I'm at the gym, because it's hanging loose in my shorts and I don't feel the vibration, or hear the alert.

     

    Quote:

     Originally Posted by djbeta View Post



    I also love that I'll be able to see which song is playing on my wrist. Sounds simple, but I listen to a LOT of new music, and if I hear something I like while I'm running, I don't want to have to pull out my phone to see which song it is.


    Is voice-over only available on the iPod Shuffle? I thought you could ask Siri at any point what song is playing. But yes, that info at a glance seems perfectly suited for a wrist worn device, plus you can get that without the need for your iPhone.

     

    Quote:

     Originally Posted by djbeta View Post

     

    This will also be great for anyone who commutes to work. No more having to look at your phone when you get a call, text, or email. Just look at your wrist.


     

    On this I strongly Disagree. The screen on the watch is tiny, and now you're going to focus you're attention from the road, to an object you bring up to your face to read, not to mention requires two hands to operate? I really do hope they start passing laws against this ...

  • Reply 42 of 57
    rebe1rebe1 Posts: 30member
    Quote:



    Originally Posted by sflagel View Post

     

    They look like one of those 1970's LED watches that showed the time in red numbers when you pressed the button. Cool retro look, but not mainstream beautiful.

     

    The functionality is great, but not the look. Buy it for the functionality.

     

    Maybe generation 2, 3 or 4 will get there (slimmer, always on on)


     

    I can definitely see the appeal about being always on in the future, but SLIMMER?  My Omega is thicker than the Apple Watch and, and my Tag is the same thickness

  • Reply 43 of 57
    rebe1rebe1 Posts: 30member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

     



    Maybe. But I wonder why you never see an ?Watch in that context with a dark face, the way it will normally look on the wrist? It's always brightly illuminated, a condition all but the wearer are normally not going to see.

     

    On the other hand, I believe it's possible to pass judgement on how a watch looks by itself.

     

      


     

    That's an ugly Rolex.  I rather not wear anything at all than that gaudy watch that only tells date and time. 

  • Reply 44 of 57
    rebe1rebe1 Posts: 30member
    Quote:



    Originally Posted by sflagel View Post

     

    They do at Apple understand that if you show something often enough, people will learn to like it, even if it is ugly. Case in point:

     

     

    I am starting to get used to that little ugly Apple thing (in steel, the aluminium one still looks like it came from a candy machine in Blackpool).


     

    The side profile and rear profile of the Panamera is really really ugly, and this coming from a huge Porsche fan and owner.  So no, just because you show something a lot, does not mean it will look better to people.  Anyways, I hope they streamline the hump for the soon to be released next-gen, because I'll probably be needing a bigger car soon. 

     

    Also, please note that people like the Panamera because, besides the fact that it only has 4 seats, it has a spacious interior and trunk, and still performs like a Porsche.

  • Reply 45 of 57
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by rebe1 View Post

     

     

    I can definitely see the appeal about being always on in the future, but SLIMMER?  My Omega is thicker than the Apple Watch and, and my Tag is the same thickness




    I am certain Apple will go slimmer ... that's their M.O. But again, fashion is king in this regard, and slim and thick go in and out of fashion. So that's the elephant in the room. And I am waiting to see whether Apple dives into the fashion aspect of watchmaking as much as they do the technical. Right now, it's like Rolex made only one model -- the Daytona, in 6 different colors and 2 different sizes. What I will be curious to see is whether Apple sticks with this one shape and style, or if they design a big chunky watch to appeal one-on-one with something like the 44mm DeepSea, or something more feminine and petite like the Lady-DateJust.

  • Reply 46 of 57
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

     
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rebe1 View Post

     

     

    I can definitely see the appeal about being always on in the future, but SLIMMER?  My Omega is thicker than the Apple Watch and, and my Tag is the same thickness




    I am certain Apple will go slimmer ... that's their M.O. But again, fashion is king in this regard, and slim and thick go in and out of fashion. So that's the elephant in the room. And I am waiting to see whether Apple dives into the fashion aspect of watchmaking as much as they do the technical. Right now, it's like Rolex made only one model -- the Daytona, in 6 different colors and 2 different sizes. What I will be curious to see is whether Apple sticks with this one shape and style, or if they design a big chunky watch to appeal one-on-one with something like the 44mm DeepSea, or something more feminine and petite like the Lady-DateJust.


     

     

    I think Apple are on a losing battle by making this watch fashion-focused. 

     

    Fashion is fickle; what is in one year is out another, or even six months later. Most people are not going to simply buy a new watch with the seasons. Maybe some would, but not enough to sustain a profit for Apple. I think Apple felt they had no choice but to go down the fashion route, but in doing so, they are changing not just the emphasis of their products, but their whole ethos. It’s a very risky decision, and not one that is going to work out well for them, I think. I fear that this watch project is going to garner a lot of bad feelings towards Apple that they might otherwise have avoided had they decided that fashion wasn't the driving force. 

     

    I think many more would have been attracted to a much simpler, more focused wearable device and with a narrower, lower price range. The Utopian, hippie Apple that created crème de la crème products for the rest of us. Now, they are just one more company making luxury goods and are cynically trying to milk as much as possible off the gullible.

     

    That leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

  • Reply 47 of 57
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,034member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

     

    Fashion is fickle; what is in one year is out another, or even six months later. Most people are not going to simply buy a new watch with the seasons. 


    At least wait for a new paragraph before you contradict yourself!

     

     

    Fashion is fickle, and yet medium to high end watch designs have stayed fairly static for decades.

    Most people are not going to buy a new [....], and yet with Apple they do.  If it's worth it.  

     

    You don't know a single thing about fashion, or about ?Watch 2, and yet you're blowing your mouth off in another absurd attempt at a rant.  Give it a rest already.

  • Reply 48 of 57
    tmaytmay Posts: 5,716member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by rebe1 View Post

     

     

     

    The side profile and rear profile of the Panamera is really really ugly, and this coming from a huge Porsche fan and owner.  So no, just because you show something a lot, does not mean it will look better to people.  Anyways, I hope they streamline the hump for the soon to be released next-gen, because I'll probably be needing a bigger car soon. 

     

    Also, please note that people like the Panamera because, besides the fact that it only has 4 seats, it has a spacious interior and trunk, and still performs like a Porsche.


    Not a car designer by any means, but it's a tough problem to gain rear seat head and leg room, and still maintain substantial side visibility. The iconic Porsche shape is not well served by this embodiment of the rear pillar, but you may be correct that time will give the designers a opportunity to rectify it.

  • Reply 49 of 57
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 650member
    crowley wrote: »
    At least wait for a new paragraph before you contradict yourself!


    Fashion is fickle, and yet medium to high end watch designs have stayed fairly static for decades.
    Most people are not going to buy a new [....], and yet with Apple they do.  If it's worth it.  

    You don't know a single thing about fashion, or about ?Watch 2, and yet you're blowing your mouth off in another absurd attempt at a rant.  Give it a rest already.

    Poor Benjamin Frost. He did not know that this forum is not for free commentary or free thoughts, unless they are unambiguous praise for Apple, their people and their products; and all arguments have to be fully thought through and watertight. This is not a brainstorming session, people. And keep your thoughts to yourselves.
  • Reply 50 of 57
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,034member
    Free commentary and free thought are not guaranteed to be free from a disparaging response. Especially when the commentator has form for repeatedly making nonsensical, attention-seeking points.

    According to Frosticle, Apple is too politically liberal nowadays and needs to go back to its hippy origins. Wait, what?
  • Reply 51 of 57
    larryalarrya Posts: 586member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Anyone who says the Watch is ugly is either a troll or has ZERO fashion sense.  It is really that simple.

    You're joking, right? I have to be a troll if I disagree with you? Look at the bulk of the thing on their wrists. Gen 2 needs to be smaller and thinner. It is inoffensive, at best.
  • Reply 52 of 57
    larrya wrote: »
    sog35 wrote: »
    Anyone who says the Watch is ugly is either a troll or has ZERO fashion sense.  It is really that simple.

    You're joking, right? I have to be a troll if I disagree with you? Look at the bulk of the thing on their wrists. Gen 2 needs to be smaller and thinner. It is inoffensive, at best.

    Don't worry.

    Some people here are still infused with the reality distortion field. It's worn off for most of us, but a few are still in its grip; hence, their strange lust for an undesirable object.

    Just throw some salt over your left shoulder and you'll be fine.
  • Reply 53 of 57
    rebe1rebe1 Posts: 30member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by LarryA View Post





    You're joking, right? I have to be a troll if I disagree with you? Look at the bulk of the thing on their wrists. Gen 2 needs to be smaller and thinner. It is inoffensive, at best.

     

    So I should get rid of my Omega, Rolex, and Tag Heuer watches because they are as thick or thicker and two of them as big as the 42mm Apple Watch?  Why does it need to be thinner?  

  • Reply 54 of 57
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

     

     

    retro styling is one thing for a change of pace, but it's another when everyone is wearing the exact same design -- a watch band with a black square face. Homogeny has never been a goal of watch buyers. 

     

    Fashion is a funny thing, people don't like wearing the exact same things as the people around them, and many use it as a way to distinguish themselves. Hopefully the watch bands will be enough for those people. At first it won't be a huge problem because the smart watch is still so limited in its adoption. But eventually, I see it as a potential issue.


     

    if only there were a way to change bands on the apple watch! or attach one of a near infinite supply of third-party bands! 

     

    oh wait, there is. troll on, Concerned-Troll....

  • Reply 55 of 57
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 650member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

     

     

    if only there were a way to change bands on the apple watch! or attach one of a near infinite supply of third-party bands! 

     

    oh wait, there is. troll on, Concerned-Troll....


    Yes NolaMacGuy, do not voice an opinion here. That is now not called "commenting" anymore, that is now called "trolling" (I don't know what they call the original "trolling" these days.....). This forum is only for the publication of unambiguous praise of all things Apple. How dare you think that the Apple Watch design is not the culmination of fashion, the "end of design", so to speak. Until of course, Apple comes out with a new design in a few years, that will be considered a better design. But no one else, and I mean no one will ever produce again a more beautiful watch than Apple.

  • Reply 56 of 57
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 650member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by rebe1 View Post

     

     

    So I should get rid of my Omega, Rolex, and Tag Heuer watches because they are as thick or thicker and two of them as big as the 42mm Apple Watch?  Why does it need to be thinner?  


    No, but some people prefer slightly thinner and lighter watches. I like my thick Panerai, but I don't wear it often as it is not very practical. The A Watch is for every day wear.

Sign In or Register to comment.