Apple outs wireless keyboard refresh on Czech store, could include backlight

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    mstone wrote: »

This would be an issue with current Mac architectures but do realize that could change. The Bluetooth interface chip for instance could monitor for a power on signal triggering the startup of the rest of the computer. We could also consider the possibility that Macs, especially laptops will soon always be powered on like an iPad. The power on button could effectively be a wake up button.

The always on laptop is a real possibility these days. I'm surprised by how little the battery drains on my new MBP when I close the lid without shutting down. Seems real reliable too, sleep mode makes a MBP as handy as an iPad.
  • Reply 62 of 73
    cash907 wrote: »
    Backlighting on white keys is not going to be pretty, and that return key is ridiculous. Why would you shrink the most used key to stupid proportions like that?

That would depend upon the color of the backlighting. You might note that many of Apples aluminum designs have had LED indicator lights in the chassises that where perfectly usable. Get the right color and tone and complaints will be minimal.

As for the return key, the large key there is a hangover from a very long time ago when it was used to mechanically return a type writer. It would literally release the carriage to fly back and as a result was a more demanding stroke compared to a letter strike. These days there is no good reason for a massive return key.
  • Reply 63 of 73
    zroger73 wrote: »
    Originally, the keys were offset to accommodate the linkages between the keys and levers in mechanical typewriters.

Much of the design of keyboards is a direct result of what was common in the type writer days. Part of the arrangement is also to reduce interference from commonly used letter combinations. A lot of people these days think of IBM Selectrics when they think of type writers but that was actually an advance design for a type writer. Before that type writer had all the letters on individual levers as you describe. Each lever flew up to the paper to tap its character represents tattoo on the paper.

I'm sitting here sad and laughing at the same time, realizing that many people in this forum probably have never seen a mechanical typewriter. Mechanical they where too. To think people might have to go to a museum to understand what we are talking about, just ages me significantly.
  • Reply 64 of 73
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I'm sitting here sad and laughing at the same time, realizing that many people in this forum probably have never seen a mechanical typewriter. Mechanical they where too. To think people might have to go to a museum to understand what we are talking about, just ages me significantly.

Purely mechanical typewriters predate me, but both of my grandparents had a couple that I played with as a child. Although I had a computer back then, I didn't have a printer so I used one of the typewriters when I needed something typed. I remember the messy, two-color ribbon and frequent jams. Later, my grandmother purchased an IBM Selectric to practice at home for a job. What a mechanical marvel that was! So fast, consistent, reliable, positive, AND it had the ability to literally lift a character off the page using a special correction tape instead of using "white out" liquid or correction strips (another item the newer generations wouldn't recognize).

"Old" technology fascinates me the way history fascinates a history buff - I enjoy seeing how things used to be done and comparing them to current practices and gain a better understanding of why things work the way they do. Unfortunately, much of that comparison reveals that most everything these days is designed to be made at low cost and to be used for a relatively short term and then discarded instead of repaired.

• Reply 65 of 73
    Purely mechanical typewriters predate me, but both of my grandparents had a couple that I played with as a child. Although I had a computer back then, I didn't have a printer so I used one of the typewriters when I needed something typed. I remember the messy, two-color ribbon and frequent jams.
    Ah yes the jams! Type writer repair was a decent occupation as the machines required maintenance which many users where not prepared to do.
    Later, my grandmother purchased an IBM Selectric to practice at home for a job. What a mechanical marvel that was! So fast, consistent, reliable, positive, AND it had the ability to literally lift a character off the page using a special correction tape instead of using "white out" liquid or correction strips (another item the newer generations wouldn't recognize).
    The IBM Selectrics was as much a part of IBMs success in business as was its computers. Those typewriters where everywhere and had a big impact on the typewriter industry. I would liken them to the iPhone of the typewriter industry.
    "Old" technology fascinates me the way history fascinates a history buff -
    Actually it is history. I get involved (travel to) in mechanical modeling and small engines shows that highlight engine technologies from more than a century ago. "Cabin Fever" is one example of such a show, it is amazing to me to see how crude some of the firsts gas engines where and how closely related to steam engines they where. The mechanical modeling guys really get into it, building replicas and scale models of these old engines, they do so with excitement over the history and the craftsmanship.

On a side note if old technology fascinates you, you need to go to the Henry Ford (Museum). Probably the best collection of early Industrial Age technology to be had on the planet.
    I enjoy seeing how things used to be done and comparing them to current practices and gain a better understanding of why things work the way they do. Unfortunately, much of that comparison reveals that most everything these days is designed to be made at low cost and to be used for a relatively short term and then discarded instead of repaired.

That is in part a problem with high integration electronics. If all your functionality and expense sits on one chip then repairs become un economical. Outside of pure electronics mass production techniques often lead to unserviceable devices for consumers.
  • Reply 66 of 73
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

And hash? If you mean '#' then I've yet to see a keyboard that doesn't have one of those somewhere, and I've used quite a few different international versions...

Then you're yet to use the British layout keyboard: it doesn't have a # symbol on it, you have to press the option key and then the 3 key.

The £ symbol replaces # on the British layout.

I see why the British keyboard replaces the # (which used to be called a pound sign in the US, representing weight) with the £ symbol, but I've never understood why the British keyboard historically kept the $ dollar symbol.

• Reply 67 of 73
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Purely mechanical typewriters predate me, but both of my grandparents had a couple that I played with as a child. Although I had a computer back then, I didn't have a printer so I used one of the typewriters when I needed something typed. I remember the messy, two-color ribbon and frequent jams. Later, my grandmother purchased an IBM Selectric to practice at home for a job. What a mechanical marvel that was! So fast, consistent, reliable, positive, AND it had the ability to literally lift a character off the page using a special correction tape instead of using "white out" liquid or correction strips (another item the newer generations wouldn't recognize).

"Old" technology fascinates me the way history fascinates a history buff - I enjoy seeing how things used to be done and comparing them to current practices and gain a better understanding of why things work the way they do. Unfortunately, much of that comparison reveals that most everything these days is designed to be made at low cost and to be used for a relatively short term and then discarded instead of repaired.

Ahh … an IBM "Correcting Selectric," the pinnacle of mechanical typewriter technology.
    You Grandma has good taste.
    If only I had access to such a machine in college.
  • Reply 68 of 73
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I see why the British keyboard replaces the # (which used to be called a pound sign in the US, representing weight) with the £ symbol, but I've never understood why the British keyboard historically kept the $ dollar symbol.

Probably because the USD is the most commonly used currency as an international generic unit of value. Possibly also because "$" is also used by many countries to represent their currency. Finally, "$" commonly occurs in various scripting languages, and creating a uniquely British version of all these would be stupid and confusing.

• Reply 69 of 73
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Realizing how far I've veered off topic...

Quote:

Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Probably because the USD is the most commonly used currency as an international generic unit of value. Possibly also because "$" is also used by many countries to represent their currency. Finally, "$" commonly occurs in various scripting languages, and creating a uniquely British version of all these would be stupid and confusing.

Yes, but historically, why?  Early on in the computer age, what Brit would use it?  I wonder if the $ symbol didn't wind up in various scripting languages (and the "anchor" character in 1-2-3, Excel, etc.) **because** it was accessible on so many keyboards worldwide.  Similar tohte pipe "|" character and the caret "^" character.  How much are they in use today because they were available on the earliest computer keyboards (and typewriters before that)?

• Reply 70 of 73

I agree as well.  Because I didn't want a wired keyboard, I bought a Logitech solar powered one that has the full numeric keypad, along with the also much-needed forward delete.  It works great and has a nice Mac-like feel.  The only thing it lacks is a light on the caps lock key.

• Reply 71 of 73
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

Ha! Speaking of keyboards, ran across and have to share this.

Anyone remember the Apple adjustable keyboard? (c. 1993)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Adjustable_Keyboard

• Reply 72 of 73
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Ha! Speaking of keyboards, ran across and have to share this.

Anyone remember the Apple adjustable keyboard? (c. 1993)

Oh yeah. I remember using one of those for a short time. I liked it because you could adjust the angle. I remember when Microsoft came out with their "natural" keyboard a year later (being surprise, once again they tried to copy Apple and failed); I tried it and thought there was absolutely nothing natural about it because the angle of its pivot was so great it hurt my wrists.