Facebook begins rolling out nostalgic 'On This Day' feature to Web, mobile app

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2015
Facebook on Tuesday announced the debut of a new feature for users of its website and mobile apps, "On This Day," meant to spark nostalgia by highlighting content posted to the site in years past.

The feature revives photos, status updates, and other material posted by a user on the same calendar day a year or more ago. By default the On This Day feed is set to private, but users can choose to share individual items with friends. Notifications can be set up for posts in the feed, and unwanted content can be edited or deleted entirely.

On This Day is not yet live for all users, but Facebook said it is currently rolling out the technology globally. If it's accessible it can be found via search, clicking or tapping on a new bookmark, or visiting facebook.com/onthisday. Some people should also see On This Day items appear in their News Feed.

The feature appears directly targeted at Timehop, a popular third-party service with iPhone and Android apps. That one connects not just with Facebook but services like Twitter, Instagram, and Foursquare.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    Wow, this will make me use Facebook so much more,.......NOT. it will have zero effect on my Facebook usage which is almost nil. Some basic info in case a long time person I know wants to contact me and it's worked for that a couple times for people I haven't seen for 20 years, but Facebook sends e-mail, so I don't have to go and keep checking. That's my extent of Facebook.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    ????( BAMWAR.COM )&????@????????( BAMWAR.COM )&????@????????( BAMWAR.COM )&????@????????( BAMWAR.COM )&????@????????( BAMWAR.COM )&????@????????( BAMWAR.COM )&????@????????( BAMWAR.COM )&????@????????( BAMWAR.COM )&????@????????( BAMWAR.COM )&????@????????( BAMWAR.COM )&????@????????( BAMWAR.COM )&????@????????( BAMWAR.COM )&????@????????( BAMWAR.COM )&????@????????( BAMWAR.COM )&????@????????( BAMWAR.COM )&????@????????( BAMWAR.COM )&????@????????( BAMWAR.COM )&????@????????( BAMWAR.COM )&????@????????( BAMWAR.COM )&????@????????( BAMWAR.COM )&????@????????( BAMWAR.COM )&????@????????( BAMWAR.COM )&????@????????( BAMWAR.COM )&????@????????( BAMWAR.COM )&????@????????( BAMWAR.COM )&????@????????( BAMWAR.COM )&????@????????( BAMWAR.COM )&????@????????( BAMWAR.COM )&????@????????( BAMWAR.COM )&????@????????( BAMWAR.COM )&????@????????( BAMWAR.COM )&????@????????( BAMWAR.COM )&????@????????( BAMWAR.COM )&????@????
  • Reply 3 of 6
    ????( BAMWAR.COM )&????@????
  • Reply 4 of 6
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    jbdragon wrote: »
    Wow, this will make me use Facebook so much more,.......NOT.
    I don't think the point of this is to attract non users. I think it is to retain users (see, if you drop Facebook, you would have forgotten about this touching/witty/awesome post that got 127 likes) and to cut the legs from under TimeHop (as mentioned in the article).

I hate to say it, but this isn't about you...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    How's this Apple news?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I don't think the point of this is to attract non users. I think it is to retain users (see, if you drop Facebook, you would have forgotten about this touching/witty/awesome post that got 127 likes) and to cut the legs from under TimeHop (as mentioned in the article).

I hate to say it, but this isn't about you...

It doesn't look like it's about you either!  I don't care about TimeHop either and it looks like most people don't care about any of this as there's so few comments.  I sure haven't seen any comments remotely close to 127 likes, not that it matters.