Yet another outage hits Apple's App Store & iTunes, preventing searches, discovery & downloads

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    mstone wrote: »

No. I wake up automatically at sunrise when the birds start chirping, regardless of the time.

Where was that thread you started about whether a certain gadfly should be swatted? The mods removed the link and all comments from the earlier recycled water topic.
  • Reply 22 of 50
    One word. SkyNet. Its becoming self aware. LOL
  • Reply 23 of 50
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Where was that thread you started about whether a certain gadfly should be swatted? The mods removed the link and all comments from the earlier recycled water topic.

Yeah, I guess they are probably angry with me for that. I only posted the one link but apparently people spread it around all over the place. It probably took them an hour to find them all. I think we were up to 30 something yes votes by the time I went to bed. I didn't vote. He doesn't really bother me anymore. I just ignore his inane comments, although I do wish he would stop thumbs upping my posts.

• Reply 24 of 50
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I just ignore his inane comments, although I do wish he would stop thumbs upping my posts.

LOL! Ask and ye will NOT receive.
  • Reply 25 of 50
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Yeah, I guess they are probably angry with me for that. I only posted the one link but apparently people spread it around all over the place. It probably took them an hour to find them all. I think we were up to 30 something yes votes by the time I went to bed.

No.  It went up to at least 45.  I think it hit 48 before I went to sleep.

I couldn't care one bit if the mods are having a hissy-fit about it.  They have a job to do, and they're failing miserably.  Having folks on threads creating actual debate is a great thing and I miss that from years past, but now the trolls are having at it and the mods would rather have their web-clicks than to maintain harmony.  What a disappointment they are, and I rarely use that word to describe anyone.

Your little group-experiment really showed the mods how inept they are and how they are allowing trolls to infest the threads.  It was a personnel-review of their performance and in a regular company, they would have been dismissed.  I certainly would.  Their boilerplate-responses to dealing (and allowing) trolls are embarrassing.

• Reply 26 of 50
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    sflocal wrote: »

No.  It went up to at least 45.  I think it hit 48 before I went to sleep.

I couldn't care one bit if the mods are having a hissy-fit about it.  They have a job to do, and they're failing miserably.  Having folks on threads creating actual debate is a great thing and I miss that from years past, but now the trolls are having at it and the mods would rather have their web-clicks than to maintain harmony.  What a disappointment they are, and I rarely use that word to describe anyone.

Your little group-experiment really showed the mods how inept they are and how they are allowing trolls to infest the threads.  It was a personnel-review of their performance and in a regular company, they would have been dismissed.  I certainly would.  Their boilerplate-responses to dealing (and allowing) trolls are embarrassing.
    I couldn't agree more... On too many occasions I've seen those blasted idiots run rampant thru discussions, and not a single mod lifted a finger to stop them. If someone like myself or Slurpy confronted the trolls, guess what, we get "infractions", our responses get deleted, whilst the trolls comments remain, and sometimes we even get banned, and not the trolls.

It's bloody pathetic. But, I see this sort of behaviour on many "tech blog" sites, as they really are more interested in page clicks and ad impression revenues, and unfortunately trolls do provide that. Thankfully, I use AdBlock and Blur in my Safari, so not a single, solitary ad load from my end.
  • Reply 27 of 50
    magman1979 wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more... On too many occasions I've seen those blasted idiots run rampant thru discussions, and not a single mod lifted a finger to stop them. If someone like myself or Slurpy confronted the trolls, guess what, we get "infractions", our responses get deleted, whilst the trolls comments remain, and sometimes we even get banned, and not the trolls.

It's bloody pathetic. But, I see this sort of behaviour on many "tech blog" sites, as they really are more interested in page clicks and ad impression revenues, and unfortunately trolls do provide that.
    I think the mods here are more interested in considerate and thoughtful adult discussion than letting the egregious trolls run rampant. Letting a very few irritants hang around is a small price to pay for a more welcoming forum than what it was a few months ago.

For a time some threads looked more like juvenile exchanges between teenagers on Facebook instead of a tech site that encouraged debate on the merits of an issue instead of the person. If a few can't handle being considerate of others here I don't weep for them when they are temporarily banned. Eventually they understand there are rules if they want to chime in, or find some other playground where character attacks that require no thought are the main attraction.

I commend the mods here for volunteering their time for what is essentially a thankless job.
  • Reply 28 of 50
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I couldn't care one bit if the mods are having a hissy-fit about it.  They have a job to do, and they're failing miserably.  

Well we used to have a mod who had zero tolerance for anyone he decided was a troll and that was sometimes just as bad. So called 'trolls' have degrees of offensiveness. Sometimes there is a grain of truth in the comments, which is not so bad. Others are just outright haters.

• Reply 29 of 50
    Well we used to have a mod who had zero tolerance for anyone he decided was a troll and that was sometimes just as bad. So called 'trolls' have degrees of offensiveness. Sometimes there is a grain of truth in the comments, which is not so bad. Others are just outright haters.
    I see very few actual haters here anymore. Some of the membership has certainly been flushed in the past few weeks.
  • Reply 30 of 50
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Yeah I could have told you this earlier today tried finding things on the apps store just as they were running into issues. Search would find somethings but not others then finally it would not find anything at all.
  • Reply 31 of 50
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

DR exercise 2.  Better than last time.

• Reply 32 of 50
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I see very few actual haters here anymore. Some of the membership has certainly been flushed in the past few weeks.
    Such as who? There are, or have been, many members who post very provocative and generally bad tempered responses to just about anything here. Some of them seem to be tolerated more than others and I can never really understand why that is.
  • Reply 33 of 50
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    sog35 wrote: »
    works in the USA

It was down for half an hour in Florida. I'd just installed a new OS X on a new Mac Pro and thought I'd buggered the install up! lol It was actually a relief when i found all my Mac's were getting an error code on the Apps Store.
  • Reply 34 of 50
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Are rumors like this contributing to the stock being pummeled?

Of course not. The entire market is on a tumble to day. No relationship what-so-ever. In fact GOOG is down just about as much as AAPL. Why would you even think that?

• Reply 35 of 50
    paxman wrote: »
    Such as who? There are, or have been, many members who post very provocative and generally bad tempered responses to just about anything here. Some of them seem to be tolerated more than others and I can never really understand why that is.

There's only two here that I personally consider going out of his/her way to simply be disagreeable much of the time. One is absolutely blindly pro-Apple (even going so far as to accuse other long-time Apple fans here of being trolls) while I can't really tell with the other on which side of the fence they graze. Certainly not several different posters a day like it was a few months back.
  • Reply 36 of 50
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,245member

I think the word "Outage" is being overused these days with regards to Apple online services.

• Reply 37 of 50
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

Apple should pay developers when they decide to take the App Store down like this.  It's inexcusable when you have people like me that are making our livings supporting the iPad with class-defining apps.

They should also pay us for finding and isolating all the damn bugs in iOS 8.

• Reply 38 of 50
    noivadnoivad Posts: 186member
    Doubtful a short outage is a cause for stock falling. Sure apple loses money, but overall, a 1 day outrage doesn’t significantly affect their net profits more than a few points of a percent.

I do know that traders are like impulsive children: overly reactionary, all trying to beat the other guy selling before the stock falls or trying to buy before it takes off. These are all short term investors that can drive up the pice well above a reasonable P:E. Only the smarter/better ones with long terms view see through the press release BS when a company is actually failing or have their finger on the pulse of the market they focus in can really see where things are going by company or industry and are thus much less reactionary. (I say this because I once worked for a stock market research firm, and I could tell which ones were short term investors and the ones with longer views just through my phone conversations with them. The ones that couldn’t wait for the reports were the most child-like and annoying. I realized the importance of a timely report, but let us finish running it by the editor and doing spot checks so we can be sure our intelligence is accurate.)

About the App store outage: DiscoverApps is still erroring out, but the AppStore is finally back up. Not sure if DiscoverApps’ problem is related or Apple banned its feed, and killed the app OR if the app isn't compatible with some other change?
  • Reply 39 of 50
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I commend the mods here for volunteering their time for what is essentially a thankless job.

If they were doing their "job", or any job to begin with, I would be thanking them immensely and so would many others.  From what I've seen first-hand going on here for a long time, the lights are always on but no one has been home.

Just because they are "volunteering" their time doesn't give them a pass to slack off on what is an important function.  If you're not doing your job - volunteer or paid (I don't care) - then you're of no use.  Period.  I do lots of unpaid volunteer work too for the love of it, but I still would expect someone to approach me if I'm not doing something right or even if I'm not the right person for the "job".

• Reply 40 of 50
    sflocal wrote: »

If they were doing their "job", or any job to begin with, I would be thanking them immensely and so would many others.  From what I've seen first-hand going on here for a long time, the lights are always on but no one has been home.

Just because they are "volunteering" their time doesn't give them a pass to slack off on what is an important function.  If you're not doing your job - volunteer or paid (I don't care) - then you're of no use.  Period.  I do lots of unpaid volunteer work too for the love of it, but I still would expect someone to approach me if I'm not doing something right or even if I'm not the right person for the "job".
    Would you ignore personal attacks on the character of other members? Some do so as a matter of habit. Even well-respected and long time members have had accusations tossed their way by those with less tolerance of someone who doesn't agree with them 100%. In my opinion the forums are much better off that they were a few months ago. Room for improvement is always there of course.