Apple Watch's Workout app learns users' strides over time, Turlington Burns diary reveals

Comments

• Reply 21 of 88
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    A wise person knows that he knows very little. That seems especially obvious when discussing a product that hasn't been released yet. Perhaps the watch is incredibly smart when determining one's gait or perhaps it's not. Whatever the case maybe somebody eventually on this forum is gonna look pretty dumb.
  • Reply 22 of 88
    ronmgronmg Posts: 163member
    Apple most likely has had MORE years of research and testing than Fitbit does. More years and SIGNIFICANTLY more dollars behind it. Just because Apple doesn't rush a product to market like Fitbit and others doesn't mean they aren't developing and researching and testing. Don't get me wrong. I like my Fitbit. I have the belt-worn one and it works well for step counting. But Apple will release a product that is light years ahead of this. Any comparison of Watch to existing products on the market is like, well, comparing iPhone to any 'smart' phone on the market when iPhone first came out. A common mistake, Ben.
  • Reply 23 of 88
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    [QUOTE]Apple most likely has had MORE years of research and testing than Fitbit does. More years and SIGNIFICANTLY more dollars behind it. Just because Apple doesn't rush a product to market like Fitbit and others doesn't mean they aren't developing and researching and testing.[/quote]

There is a recent article and video of Apple giving ABC's [I]Nightline[/I] an exclusive look into the multiyear research and development for health tracking.

[LIST][*] http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/03/20/apple-offers-rare-inside-look-inside-secret-apple-watch-health-and-fitness-testing-labs
    [*] http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/video/inside-apples-top-secret-health-lab-apple-watch-29804218 (video)
    [/LIST]
  • Reply 24 of 88
    mstone wrote: »
    Perhaps; we shall see.

However, Fitbit have had years of experience of honing gait patterns, and even then, their wrist-worn devices are still significantly less accurate than the iPhone.
    http://berkeleysciencereview.com/fit-fitbit/

This is an article I found that tested Fitbit and explains the accuracy variables scientifically. It seems to contradict your argument on a couple points. 

That is a very limited study that doesn't test general use. They only test workouts, so my point stands.
  • Reply 25 of 88
    ronmgronmg Posts: 163member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    If only.
    There is a recent article and video of Apple giving ABC's Nightline an exclusive look into the multiyear research and development for health tracking.

Thanks for the link. 10,000 test sessions. 18,000 hours of data. I seriously doubt Fitbit has put that level of effort into it.
  • Reply 26 of 88
    ronmg wrote: »
    Thanks for the link. 10,000 test sessions. 18,000 hours of data. I seriously doubt Fitbit has put that level of effort into it.

And that's just the beginning. Apple could request us to opt-in for a wide net of usage cases, as shown in their ResearchKit demo, that could change how we understand health. I only wish I was smart enough to be able to capitalize on it.
  • Reply 27 of 88
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

And that's just the beginning. Apple could request us to opt-in for a wide net of usage cases, as shown in their ResearchKit demo, that could change how we understand health. I only wish I was smart enough to be able to capitalize on it.

Perhaps they could have a medical research parameter computing how many Starbucks drinks you consume daily. :D

Starbucks :no:

• Reply 28 of 88
    Perhaps they could have a medical research parameter computing how many Starbucks drinks you consume daily. :D

LOL
  • Reply 29 of 88
    solipsismy wrote: »

Coffee's good for you.

Nuff said.
  • Reply 30 of 88
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,299member

Hey! I like my green mermaid!!! :\
  • Reply 31 of 88
    magman1979 wrote: »

Hey! I like my green mermaid!!! :\
    Coffee's good for you.

Nuff said.

Ah, no, you need to go sit in the corner now:

Study: Coffee May Reduce Risk of Oral Cancer
    Coffee could help prevent endometrial cancer, says new study
    Coffee may help prevent skin cancer: Study
    offee may help prevent breast cancer returning, study finds

Would you like more studies disproving yet another idiotic and ignorant statement from you?

No?

Then shut up and sit down.

Eh?

I said that coffee was good for you, then you link to some surveys suggesting the same thing, whilst at the same time telling me that that's an idiotic thing to say.

What are you trying to say? Is your mind buzzing from too much coffee?
  • Reply 32 of 88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Hate to say it, but the Apple Watch will probably be less accurate than the iPhone for counting steps, due to its wrist placement.

This is because we tend to move our wrists a lot more than our hips in day to day use (just look at an Italian gesticulating in everyday speech with his arms), which means that there will be many erroneous steps counted with the watch. Having your iPhone in your pocket or handbag is much more reliable due to the greater stability in those places.

In fact, the reason for the Apple Watch's need to train itself is likely due to this intrinsic weakness.

In Burns's case, the Watch may not be so inaccurate if she uses it only when running a marathon, as she will adopt a regular motion with her arms. But most people will be using the Apple Watch for counting steps throughout the day, not for a specific workout. In that more common scenario, the iPhone will win for accuracy.

I examined the wrist-worn Fitbit devices and the feedback they have received to arrive at this conclusion. Fitbit do make some non-wrist devices.

However, the Watch is paired with an iPhone. Both devices are gathering data simultaneously, and they can corroborate between one another to eliminate false positives.

• Reply 33 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Eh?

I said that coffee was good for you, then you link to some surveys suggesting the same thing, whilst at the same time telling me that that's an idiotic thing to say.

What are you trying to say? Is your mind buzzing from too much coffee?

Okay, let me clear this up. Only Panama coffee rates as the world's best coffee and since Starbucks does not buy Panama coffee they have inferior coffee. Now, some may argue that there are other excellent coffees, true, but none can compare to Panama by evaluation from worldwide coffee experts.

Our coffee consistently has the highest selling price of any coffee in the world.

• Reply 34 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

Hey! I like my green mermaid!!! image

People love McDonalds too but that doesn't make it good food. Find a true specialty coffee shop and drink it black to make sure it is the real deal.

• Reply 35 of 88
    People love McDonalds too but that doesn't make it good food. Find a true specialty coffee shop and drink it black to make sure it is the real deal.
    Would love to, but unfortunately the only "specialty" shop around my office serves mediocre coffee, so in my neck of the woods Starbucks is the best I can get :\
  • Reply 36 of 88
    Still no GPS. Can't accurately track my pace. Deal breaker for this Apple fan. I run with my iPhone today, I don't want to run with it anymore, and the Watch doesn't give me relief from it.
  • Reply 37 of 88
    diegogdiegog Posts: 135member
    according to the article. It can track your pace by itself.
    Running with the phone several times will allow a more accurate pace count when running with just the watch.

Still no GPS. Can't accurately track my pace. Deal breaker for this Apple fan. I run with my iPhone today, I don't want to run with it anymore, and the Watch doesn't give me relief from it.
  • Reply 38 of 88
     sorry double post
  • Reply 39 of 88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Please use Google

https://www.facebook.com/RedTreeSpecialtyCoffee

• Reply 40 of 88
    Please use Google. specialty coffee in vancouver
    There is a place there called Mario's Express on Howe and Dunsmuir downtown, and they serve amazing Arabic and Italian roasts, but it's 40 mins away from my current office :(