Google loses UK appeal in Safari cookie tracking case, could face trial

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49

This is how Google operates their security team:

- Find a flaw in someone else's software (like Safari or IE).

- Decide if they can exploit it to their benefit.

- If the answer is Yes, keep quiet and enjoy the benefits.

- If the answer is No, then publish the exploit after 90 days to shame the other company.

• Reply 22 of 49
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    Thos is a good start. The UK Government is also looking to stop Google and others evading tax from business carried on in the UK.

I have been spooked recently when first after using Google to search for football kit for my son adverts for the exact same kit started to appear on Appleinsoder. Then I was searching for an old style Parker pen and again adverts stared to appear for Parker pens on Appleinsider's frontage. I have followed advice from some of the helpful posters here and changed my iPad default search engine to DuckDuckGo. Immediately the adverts for Football kit and Parker Pens stopped. TheUK legal action relates to a set period of time a few years ago but it seems that some search engines are still taking data and using it to direct adverts. Our governments should do more to stop this.
  • Reply 23 of 49

gimp

Coming soon .... US & Canada!

:smokey: 

• Reply 24 of 49
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member
    dachar wrote: »
    Thos is a good start. The UK Government is also looking to stop Google and others evading tax from business carried on in the UK.

I have been spooked recently when first after using Google to search for football kit for my son adverts for the exact same kit started to appear on Appleinsoder. Then I was searching for an old style Parker pen and again adverts stared to appear for Parker pens on Appleinsider's frontage. I have followed advice from some of the helpful posters here and changed my iPad default search engine to DuckDuckGo. Immediately the adverts for Football kit and Parker Pens stopped. TheUK legal action relates to a set period of time a few years ago but it seems that some search engines are still taking data and using it to direct adverts. Our governments should do more to stop this.
    It doesn't mean it's illegal to serve up targeted ads, even enabled by user search and/or tracking data, in the UK (or anywhere else) as long as it's properly disclosed. In the case of this particular Safari exploit it was not. Those who followed Google's advice would still have been open to ad tracking.

EDIT: I think this is the very first time I ever got a thumb's-up from Disturbia.
  • Reply 25 of 49
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

How would any person prove material harm from Google's actions? All that is provable is that Google violated Apple's security features and possible local laws? The likely outcome is a large monetary extraction from Google that will go right into the coffers of the government, to the benefit of no one but the government.

What does your ideology let you propose as a solution to these sort of actions?

• Reply 26 of 49
    ronmgronmg Posts: 163member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Someone should help users understand the web tracking mechanisms and how they might be avoided, and not just with Google services either. As I don't recall you or some of the other regulars bothering to do so (perhaps you have no idea how to) I'm taking the time to do what someone else could have done.

So let me get this straight. You want us to log into an account of a proven lying, cheating, immoral, thief of a company, and turn off tracking, while at the same time trusting that said lying, cheating, immoral, thief of a company won't bypass their own mechanisms (like they have other browsers) and track where I go in the internet? BWAA HA HA HA HA HA. Wow, thank you, I needed a great laugh.

Unbelievable.

• Reply 27 of 49
    ronmg wrote: »

So let me get this straight. You want us to log into an account of a proven lying, cheating, immoral, thief of a company, and turn off tracking, while at the same time trusting that said lying, cheating, immoral, thief of a company won't bypass their own mechanisms (like they have other browsers) and track where I go in the internet? BWAA HA HA HA HA HA. Wow, thank you, I needed a great laugh.

Unbelievable.
    Nope. Leave your ad tracking and data collection settings as is if you prefer. :rolleyes:

I couldn't care less either way.
  • Reply 28 of 49
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

You will see a nice google URL either way. The only reason to hijack the link on mouse down is to be deceptive. They show you the URL in the search result, so they cannot say it is for that.

I don't think the reason is to be deceptive. They show you the ultimate destination in the status bar as a convenience to you. The click URL is to help with their search algorithms tuning. Should be expected behavior. If logging is objectionable to you use a private window and don't sign on to Google.

Edit: I'm not making any excuses for Google's hack of Safari. That should be against the law in every country. The fact that they thought they could get away with it is the crazy part.

• Reply 29 of 49
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member

I've been using Google Chrome browser for years, and finally was so happy to dump it from every machine I use: work Windows laptop, Home Mac, iPad and iPhone.

• Reply 30 of 49
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    They actually tried to appeal it?!?

What a fu**ing scumbag company!!!!!!
  • Reply 31 of 49
    How would any person prove material harm from Google's actions? All that is provable is that Google violated Apple's security features and possible local laws? The likely outcome is a large monetary extraction from Google that will go right into the coffers of the government, to the benefit of no one but the government.
    The action is being brought by 3 private individuals not the government. If a court rules that compensation must be paid, then the individuals who join the action on Monday (I expect thousands will, including me) will get that compensation, not the Government. The Information Commissioner could have imposed a fine but they investigated this in 2012 and didn't fine Google. So no money for the Government. As for damages, the judge indicated that there could be damages granted for the distress and anxiety caused. That's a matter for the trial, and this decision simply says that a trial can happen. Even if Google ends up paying no compensation, the story has been headline news in the UK today and probably will be headline news when the trial comes along, so Google suffer the negative publicity if nothing else.
  • Reply 32 of 49
    davendaven Posts: 719member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Easy. Google did not circumvent your privacy settings and steal your browsing information for altruistic reasons. Your browsing history is valuable. Consider this scenario. A large oak tree sits on your property. You have no intent of ever selling for the wood and if it ever dies you would probably pay someone to come and remove it. Now someone comes around while you are on vacation and cuts down your tree and sells the lumber to a furniture maker. Did you suffer a loss? You bet you did.

• Reply 33 of 49
    ronmgronmg Posts: 163member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Nope. Leave your ad tracking and data collection settings as is if you prefer. image

I couldn't care less either way.

Nope. Avoid google and android at all costs. Avoid even having a google id or account. Adjust ad tracking and data collection settings related to all non-google browsing. That't the ticket!! And, I couldn't care less that you couldn't care less either way!! :-)

By the way, after google bought Nest I removed and sold my Nest thermostat. Told Nest and google to leave me alone forever. Unsubscribed to all mailings. And guess what? Yesterday I got a freaking Nest email from them again, many months after eliminating it, as if they somehow had lost my unsubscribe notice. That's unbelievable!! So I unsubscribed again!! Will see if it sticks this time.

• Reply 34 of 49
    ronmg wrote: »

Nope. Avoid google and android at all costs. Avoid even having a google id or account. Adjust ad tracking and data collection settings related to all non-google browsing. That't the ticket!! And, I couldn't care less that you couldn't care less either way!! :-)

By the way, after google bought Nest I removed and sold my Nest thermostat. Told Nest and google to leave me alone forever. Unsubscribed to all mailings. And guess what? Yesterday I got a freaking Nest email from them again, many months after eliminating it, as if they somehow had lost my unsubscribe notice. That's unbelievable!! So I unsubscribed again!! Will see if it sticks this time.
    Avoiding Google won't prevent your web travels from being logged, and does nothing to keep your personal information safe from 3rd parties. Google is just one of the largest but not the only one and many of them really do sell your information to the highest bidder. Worse you get nothing of value in return.

Tho you probably aren't aware of it there are over 50 70! trackers on this page alone that have nothing to do with Google but still follow you around collecting whatever info they can from you. What do you do about Acxiom to prevent them from monetizing you? They know more about you than Google ever will and happily share it with buyers as their revenue strategy. What about TowerData, formerly known as Rapleaf? Yup, selling you and your personal info by your real name and address. Intelius? They collect a whole lotta stuff that advertisers would have no real interest in, connect it to your real name, and then market it to whoever can pay. These are just three examples of the thousands out there.

And you (along with others) thought Google was the real problem? That's probably what the really evil data companies want you to think, taking the focus off them as the true privacy invaders.

I'm sure removing Google services was a feel-good moment for you but it did little to nothing to fix your personal privacy problem.

EDIT: Add this one to the privacy problem: ATT
    "Because AT&T can see almost everything you do online, no matter what websites you visit, the company may be in even better position to serve targeted ads than Web behemoths like Google and Facebook."
    http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/03/atts-plan-to-watch-your-web-browsing-and-what-you-can-do-about-it/
    Anyone here using ATT Gigapower?
  • Reply 35 of 49
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Avoiding Google won't prevent your web travels from being logged, and does nothing to keep your personal information safe from 3rd parties. Google is just one of the largest but not the only one and many of them really do sell your information to the highest bidder. Worse you get nothing of value in return.

Tho you probably aren't aware of it there are over 50 70! trackers on this page alone that have nothing to do with Google but still follow you around collecting whatever info they can from you. What do you do about Acxiom to prevent them from monetizing you? They know more about you than Google ever will and happily share it with buyers as their revenue strategy. What about TowerData, formerly known as Rapleaf? Yup, selling you and your personal info by your real name and address. Intelius? They collect a whole lotta stuff that advertisers would have no real interest in, connect it to your real name, and then market it to whoever can pay. These are just three examples of the thousands out there.

And you (along with others) thought Google was the real problem? That's probably what the really evil data companies want you to think, taking the focus off them as the true privacy invaders.

I'm sure removing Google services was a feel-good moment for you but it did little to nothing to fix your personal privacy problem.

Wow this guy's defending Giggle with his life!!

All the bad news in the world won't change him.

Sorry bud, you can bend over and spread your asscheeks for Giggle but those who know what's going on will not.
  • Reply 36 of 49
    cali wrote: »
    Wow this guy's defending Giggle with his life!!

All the bad news in the world won't change him
    Perhaps reading is not your thing today?
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/185445/google-loses-uk-appeal-in-safari-cookie-tracking-case-could-face-trial#post_2698964

You'e welcome to dispute the facts about anything I wrote by the way. Should I watch for your counter-points?
  • Reply 37 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

LOL. I forgot all about this. I remember the Google shills trying to claim it was an "accident" as if the programming code necessary to do this just magically created itself out of thin air.

Yes; a certain alligator on this site sounds like your man.

• Reply 38 of 49
    swissmac2 wrote: »
    all money received by the Government means reduced taxes for EVERYONE?

Not on this Earth! Your planet must be great. :-)
  • Reply 39 of 49
    krreagankrreagan Posts: 218member
    Another nail in their coffin. I have come to the conclusion that Google is evil! Regardless of their corporate slogans. I've changed all my search engines to other sites. I'm systematically divesting myself of Google's influance/monitoring as best I can. Goodby to the evil empire!
  • Reply 40 of 49
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveN View Post

Easy. Google did not circumvent your privacy settings and steal your browsing information for altruistic reasons. Your browsing history is valuable. Consider this scenario. A large oak tree sits on your property. You have no intent of ever selling for the wood and if it ever dies you would probably pay someone to come and remove it. Now someone comes around while you are on vacation and cuts down your tree and sells the lumber to a furniture maker. Did you suffer a loss? You bet you did.

The difference is that you cannot prove material harm. If someone takes your property, that's a different matter. I'd want to take a very close look at the terms of use agreement one "signs" prior to using a web browser. If you were using a browser YOU designed on a network YOU own, things might be different.