Google, Johnson & Johnson to partner on surgical robot technology

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,229member
    Gatorguy will be volunteering for a few test runs I am sure. ;)
    I do have one surgery coming up in the next few weeks. Doubt J&J will be ready by then tho.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    jungmark wrote: »
    Great, ads on my internal organs.

Plus ads on your abs.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Just ask if that robot is running the latest version of Android before you go under the knife...

Proposed names for Android 6.0:

-Bland-Aid

-Way More Tears

-Operation (Could not Be Completed at this time)

• Reply 24 of 37
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member

hilarious. i wonder what kind of dog & pony show they presented to the board of johnson & johnson. then again, i'd be surprised if any of them were tech savvy.

• Reply 25 of 37
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    <p>Does this company have a strategy?</p><p> </p><p>If so, someone please enlighten me on what it is...</p>

Along these lines:
    "Cataloging patient DNA"
  • Reply 26 of 37
    I'm really starting to think Stoogle does this stuff just to distract us from the fact that they're an advertising company. If there is enough news stories talking about them creating robotics, people will start to believe it. I think there was a time when they wanted to do some cool things, but now it just seems like PR stunts over and over. One distraction after another to make us think they have more clout than a vanilla ad company.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    Just what I've always wanted: pictures of my spleen showing up in Google searches.

Why are they doing this? Because they noticed that Apple has been making huge waves in the medical arena of late.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

I'm really starting to think Stoogle does this stuff just to distract us from the fact that they're an advertising company...

Well, you wouldn't wanna go around advertising it...

• Reply 29 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Keeps them in the news- the same motivation they have for all their haphazard, pie in the sky, poorly thought out projects. 

Exactly. If Apple was doing a self-driving car or Google Glass style device, we wouldn't hear about it until it's ready to be released. Google just loves to have their name constantly in the news trumpeting "look what we're doing".

Google is like the social butterfly of the tech world.

• Reply 30 of 37
    Exactly. If Apple was doing a self-driving car or Google Glass style device, we wouldn't hear about it until it's ready to be released. Google just loves to have their name constantly in the news trumpeting "look what we're doing".

Google is like the social butterfly of the tech world.
    I think in the future you'll hear much less about Google devices/products until they're ready for market. They won't make as many big bone-headed PR mistakes like the way Google Glass was handled if Fadell is handling it, which according to articles he will in many cases.

Even this robotics partnership wasn't outed by Google but instead mentioned in a Johnson & Johnson press release. picked up by the WSJ. I don't see where Google mentions it on any of their official blogs. In fact I don't recall any Google mentions of robotic products but we know they exist because of comments from companies like Hon-Hai.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    Exactly. If Apple was doing a self-driving car or Google Glass style device, we wouldn't hear about it until it's ready to be released.
    Apple Watch? That was officially announced by Apple more than 6 months ago, well before a product was ready for market. Some information about it began leaking long before that. I remember some from last April with screenshots, hardly something Apple would not have had to sanction IMO.

There's PR pieces from companies every day about upcoming products that are sometimes as much as a year away or more. Most big companies play that game when it's beneficial. Nothing wrong with a company tooting it's own horn.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Apple Watch? That was officially announced by Apple more than 6 months ago, well before a product was ready for market. Some information about it began leaking long before that. I remember some from last April with screenshots, hardly something Apple would not have had to sanction IMO.

There's PR pieces from companies every day about upcoming products that are sometimes as much as a year away or more. Most big companies play that game when it's beneficial. Nothing wrong with a company tooting it's own horn.

Laughable nonsense -- and a total falsehood -- to compare anything that Google 'introduces' to the AppleWatch. The product that was demo'ed last September is nearly all that will be introduced in April. Apple was merely ramping up the manufacturing and getting in gear the marketing and the buzz.

Please tell us what major feature you think the Watch will have that was not demo'ed in the September '14 event.

• Reply 33 of 37
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Google has formed a partnership with medical and consumer goods firm Johnson & Johnson that will see the development of Q-Tips to help Google get into your head. Literally. In addition, development of robots to help surgeons in the operating room will help Google delve even deeper into your head to further research how they can influence your purchase decisions , according to an announcement made on Friday.

• Reply 34 of 37
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I think it would be pretty cool to go to hospital and they wheel you in to the theatre and there are all these high tech robots there.

• Reply 35 of 37

o

• Reply 36 of 37
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    ascii wrote: »
    I think it would be pretty cool to go to hospital and they wheel you in to the theatre and there are all these high tech robots there.

...and then instructions for preparing sushi are uploaded to the robots by a hacker in Russia.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    This is ridiculous. I don't want Google near medical anything. Invaded much?