Alleged 'iPhone 6c' rear shell suggests Apple will repackage iPhone 5s parts

245

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 100

    If it is as light as the 5s and can do ApplePay, it may be the one for me.

     

    As a runner I think the 6 is just too big.

     

    Best.

  • Reply 22 of 100
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,381member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

     



    I don't know how well Apple could manufacture a 4.7" polycarbonate phone though. I'd be worried about body flex and cracking at the corners.


    The 5c has a fabricated metal shell bonded internally for structure. Evidently, it works well; i.e., haven't heard of any problems. I do think that this will be a 4 inch iPhone to replace the 5s, but would hope for A8 and Apple Pay. Not particularly important what they call it.

  • Reply 23 of 100
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post



    I'd love to see the NFC chip and A8 processor from the 6. Also, make it available in 16, 32, and 64GB. Ditch the 8GB option.

    I would be on NFC chip, but A8. BTW, Apple dumped 32GB for 64GB. Where have you been?

  • Reply 24 of 100
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

     

    I would be on NFC chip, but A8. BTW, Apple dumped 32GB for 64GB. Where have you been?




    The iPad Air and 5S come in 16/32 variants. ;)

  • Reply 25 of 100
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

     

    Seems fairly obvious that this will be the 5sc not the 6c, occupying the lowest tier ($0 with contract, per pricing scheme in the US). It would make sense then for Apple to have a 4.7" 6c in the $99 tier, which will be sufficiently differentiated from the 6s. This would make for a very simple and appealing lineup, with 2 sizes of "c" (4" and 4.7") and two sizes of premium iPhone as we have today (4.7" and 5.5"). Apple might even refer to both "c" phones as iPhone 6c, and let size be the differentiator, rather than the internals.


    Who said this is for lowest tier? If this is for lowest tier, Apple would not do anything to it because there's a 5S for that. 

    When Apple make this 6C, they upgrade it from 5S such as adding NFC chip, and maybe CPU, better camera to call it mid-tier at $99 subsidized.

  • Reply 26 of 100
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,545member

    You're thinking the non-unibody models. I mean the final 2009-2010 models. If you look at them, they frequently have damage at the back curve where the MagSafe port is, and cracks on the hinge area on both sides.

    <img alt="" class="lightbox-enabled" data-id="57179" data-type="61" src="http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/57179/width/500/height/1000/flags/LL" style="; width: 500px; height: 375px">


    <img alt="" class="lightbox-enabled" data-id="57180" data-type="61" src="http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/57180/width/500/height/1000/flags/LL" style="; width: 500px; height: 667px">


    Now, thickness would help, but it'll be a challenge either way. Adding more reinforcement will boost weight as well.

    That's a very unusual problem for poly. Poly bends, but doesn't break like that. All I can think of is that it's some sort of blend to give it more rigidity. I can take a thin piece of poly, say .375 x .128, and if it's long enough, bend it so that I've got a knot in it.
  • Reply 27 of 100
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,545member
    elijahg wrote: »
    Initially perhaps, but it seems to work harden quite rapidly, and then crack easily. Plus once the crack starts, it keeps spreading.
    Apple have always had problems with the polycarbonate casing cracking. The iPhone 3G used to crack around the Dock connector, and a split would form from the centre of it upward toward the Apple logo. The plastic on the white iBooks seemed pretty good (probably not so eco-friendly, God forbid we forgo longer lasting computers vs ones that are 0.1% more green), but every (white) plastic unibody MacBook I've seen has cracked quite seriously around the ports and the hinge on the lid. The radius of the curves Apple used around the ports is too small, it should be a much larger curve to spread the stress, as in aircraft windows.

    IMO, ABS is a much tougher material to make computers from, though you can't get the nice shine and as Melgross pointed out, the pastel colours Apple likes. ABS is much less brittle than polycarbonate.

    There's no work hardening in poly as there is in metal. Besides, work hardening requires serious bending. I believe that Apple used some sort of blend in their bodies, and that material is more brittle than pure poly.

    But I'd you do bend something seriously over time, you will weaken it. You also can't bend it back to its original shape.
  • Reply 28 of 100
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,545member
    clemynx wrote: »

    Yes, but we can add to what you said that thanks to its increased thickness over the 6, the 6C could use a flush camera.
    :P

    Again, that's exactly what I said in the first place. Thanks for agreeing.
  • Reply 29 of 100
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

     



    The iPad Air and 5S come in 16/32 variants. ;)


    That was a year ago. New 6 line up don't have 32GB. 

  • Reply 30 of 100
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,303member

    A lineup like this doesn't seem beyond the realm of possibility...

     

    6C - Entry Level model Poly case and the functionality/features of a current 6 (maybe the 5s)

    6S - Updated lineup in three sizes. Yes, I can see them doing a 4" screen with all the latest features/specs.

     

    That's the same amount of models they have today.

  • Reply 31 of 100
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

     

    Seems fairly obvious that this will be the 5sc not the 6c, occupying the lowest tier ($0 with contract, per pricing scheme in the US). It would make sense then for Apple to have a 4.7" 6c in the $99 tier, which will be sufficiently differentiated from the 6s.


    I completely agree and have been saying that's what the 5C was engineered to do since it came out -- allow the 5S internals to be transplanted.

     

    I don't believe there will be NFC in the "free" 5SC. I doubt they are going to update 3 year old technology to use NFC, when it will be at least a another year before ?Pay sees wide adoption after the merchants complete the mandated POST replacements. But anything's possible.

     

    However, the "6C" is the real question ... I feel like the 5C path Apple established last year with three distinct-looking phones is something they are going to want to continue. Therefore, in the same vein as having engineered the 5S & 5C to easily swap internals, I would also suggest that Apple designed a 4" iPhone 6 prototype right along with the 4.7" before they knew how they were going to market the 6. So it wouldn't be hard at all to convert the 5S plant to start manufacturing the "6C" or "mini" which is theoretically already designed.

     

    So your 3 tiers are:

     

    5SC 4" plastic "free"

    6C(mini) 4" aluminum "$99"

    6S 4.7" aluminum "$199"

  • Reply 32 of 100
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

    Why do car brands make their largest sedans the most expensive?

     

    think BMW with the 3 series vs the 7 series?


    LOL...there's always a guy who only wants to pay less for premium options..

  • Reply 33 of 100
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

     

    A lineup like this doesn't seem beyond the realm of possibility...

     

    6C - Entry Level model Poly case and the functionality/features of a current 6 (maybe the 5s)

    6S - Updated lineup in three sizes. Yes, I can see them doing a 4" screen with all the latest features/specs.

     

    That's the same amount of models they have today.


    Oh Yeah? Why don't you put the price in your line up to see how messy it will be? Apple charge $50 more for larger size for Apple Watch. What do you think they will do for the phone with the same spec but different screen sizes? 6S: 5.5" $299, 4.7" $199 and 4" $99? LOL that 6S 4" at $99 is almost ridiculous in financial sense.

  • Reply 34 of 100
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    NFC is almost certain, as Apple wants to push ApplePay. A non-ApplePay iPhone would be very akward.
  • Reply 35 of 100
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by melgross View Post





    Again, that's exactly what I said in the first place. Thanks for agreeing.



    I was joking :D

  • Reply 36 of 100
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

    IMO this new plastic phone should be called iPhone Color.

     

    Calling it iPhone 5SC would be silly unless they get rid of selling the 5S all together.

     

    Calling it iPhone 6C would not make sense unless this comes in 4.7 inch sizes also.

     

    Sept 2015

    iPhone 6S - $199

    iPhone Color - $99 - 4 inch screen, iPhone6 internals

    iPhone 5S - $0

     

    Sept 2016

    iPhone 7 - $199

    iPhone 6C - $99

    iPhone Color - $0


    The problem is NOT every one wants the 4" at mid-tier price. Apple can't just kill 4.7" for mid tier and force people to buy a new released phone if they want 4.7". Whatever Apple do, I think they will consider people with expectation of cheaper 6 in 2015. Therefore, I believe, there'll be still 4.7" version in mid tier either in polycarbonate or just metal.

  • Reply 37 of 100
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member

    "6C" is just a speculation. Why don't you think Apple just replace discontinuing 5C with new 5C by putting the 5S into current plastic chassis while completely killing both current 5S and 5C (as rumored lately)? There is no manufacturing change or issue here but a longer camera flash?

    Since 5S is going to lowest tier anyway this year while 5C is going away, one new 5C with internal part of 5S will take care these two versions in one shot.

  • Reply 38 of 100
    mike1 wrote: »
    A lineup like this doesn't seem beyond the realm of possibility...

    6C - Entry Level model Poly case and the functionality/features of a current 6 (maybe the 5s)
    6S - Updated lineup in three sizes. Yes, I can see them doing a 4" screen with all the latest features/specs.

    That's the same amount of models they have today.

    Bingo.

    I have a 5; I'm not going to buy a rebadged 5s. Latest tech only, please.
  • Reply 39 of 100
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,303member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

     

    I completely agree and have been saying that's what the 5C was engineered to do since it came out -- allow the 5S internals to be transplanted.

     

    I don't believe there will be NFC in the "free" 5SC. I doubt they are going to update 3 year old technology to use NFC, when it will be at least a another year before ?Pay sees wide adoption after the merchants complete the mandated POST replacements. But anything's possible.

     

    However, the "6C" is the real question ... I feel like the 5C path Apple established last year with three distinct-looking phones is something they are going to want to continue. Therefore, in the same vein as having engineered the 5S & 5C to easily swap internals, I would also suggest that Apple designed a 4" iPhone 6 prototype right along with the 4.7" before they knew how they were going to market the 6. So it wouldn't be hard at all to convert the 5S plant to start manufacturing the "6C" or "mini" which is theoretically already designed.

     

    So your 3 tiers are:

     

    5SC 4" plastic "free"

    6C(mini) 4" aluminum "$99"

    6S 4.7" aluminum "$199"


    Everything will have NFC from this point forward. They would not introduce a new model without Apple Pay capability.

  • Reply 40 of 100
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

    Apple is trying to push ApplePay.  The next mid-range phone will have NFC.


    Sure, but if people want Apple Pay, buy mid or high tier. This new C phone with 5S body should be in the third tier if there's nothing else updated.

Sign In or Register to comment.