Apple Warranties aren't worth the paper they come on!!!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
***RANT******

OK, now I have an Apple Cube, not too old but old enough to be out of warranty (not too hard considering Apple's warranties) and now its almost completely kaput!!!! I crashes ALL the time (every day) even in Mac OS X (lastest update), covering the screen with scary UNIX-y black computer blurge saying stuff like cpu0 ... invalid stack .... hanging .... waiting for debugger..... and stuff, its not a pretty sight. I mean, I do know there is something wrong with the computer itself probably with the CPU or something. But what can I do??? Its not like a PC where I could just buy a new processor and upgrade it.....

The annoying thing is that to get it fixed by Apple, it'd cost £450! Also, this computer's being used by my parents and so I can't even help them when it crashes and doesn't boot up or does other wierd things because I'm not at home.... it gets incredibly frustrating telling them to reboot the computer over the phone over and over and over again until it starts working again. They really hate Apple now, I mean I've had a couple of PCs before the Cube, a Dell and a Gateway and some notebooks, but apart from Windows nonsense, they've been absolutely fine. This is the first computer to actually have the CPU fry or something. They were actually impressed and stuff when I showed them how to use it properly and showed them iPhoto and stuff, (in the middle of it crashing), but they just don't think that Apple makes good hardware. They think its was expensive (which is was admittedly), useless (currently it is ....) but looks good, it's just left a bad taste in their mouths.

I'm thinking of selling it on eBay, saying everything about it and saying stuff like, 'ideal for upgrading' as in the dual G4 cube and stuff. Figuring I could get about half the price of an iMac (selling the monitor as well) and then telling them to buy an iMac and just trust me. I mean my iBook is perfect, hasn't crashed ONCE!!!!! So I know Apple do make good computers usually, its just we got a dud. The stooopid warranty doesn't help either, I know we should have got an Applecare plan, but this was our first Apple, how were we to know the limitations of the warranty, I mean 90 days telephone support??? What's that??? I got LIFETIME telephone support with the Gateway??? And ONE year hardware warranty??? Couldn't they make it three??? I don't mind having to send the computer off its just people shouldn't have to buy extended warranties to get a half decent warranty!!!!

Anyway, damnit, rant just about over ..... anyone got any advise on what I should do???

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Sony's and IBM's warranty are too only one year.....
  • Reply 2 of 34
    reformat the hard drive.

reinstall mac os x.

this is a kernel panic issue...

not hardware
  • Reply 3 of 34
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 4 of 34
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    I've had similar problems too and decided to reformat with "write to zero" option and it's been fine ever since - knock on wood
  • Reply 5 of 34
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Is your cube using IBM drive? If so get another brand
  • Reply 6 of 34
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Or you could buy a dell, where the warranty is fine, but you have to send it back all the time since it always breaks.

I've encountered WAY too many Dells that have lots of problems.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Splinemodel:

<strong>Or you could buy a dell, where the warranty is fine, but you have to send it back all the time since it always breaks.

I've encountered WAY too many Dells that have lots of problems.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Quite a few of my friends have Dells and they've never once had to get a problem fixed.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    Tell me about it.

I bought my AirPort Base Station (white/second edition) in late November, and in January I was having unbelievably obnoxious (and intermittent) problems with it's port redirection feature. Which I need to do stuff like Apple Remote Desktop (well, I was using Timbuktu at the time--same deal, though) Apache, FTP, AFP (filesharing), SSH, SnapperHead, Hotline server, etc etc, because I'm using DHCP and NAT. So I call them up and they tell me that they don't support any of it, and I was taken aback, I had to get the guy to repeat to me that they don't choose to support a feature of their own damn PRODUCT!

What a worthless POS this base station is, at least for what I was under the FALSE IMPRESSION I could use it for... I still have problems where between 1 and 3 out of 4 connections that people from even in my area try don't get through the base station to the computers I've directed the traffic to. Several of my friends with the same base stations have the exact same problem. But Apple doesn't give a shit.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    fotnsfotns Posts: 301member
    [quote]Originally posted by Splinemodel:

<strong>Or you could buy a dell, where the warranty is fine, but you have to send it back all the time since it always breaks.

I've encountered WAY too many Dells that have lots of problems.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have a Dell that is over 3 years old, runs 12 to 15 hours a day, and has never had one problem that required service. I have never even had to call customer support.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    [quote]Originally posted by FotNS:

<strong>

I have a Dell that is over 3 years old, runs 12 to 15 hours a day, and has never had one problem that required service. I have never even had to call customer support.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Are they Dell notebooks/laptops? As I may have said in the past, I do some side work for Princeton's Office of Information Tech, which involves dealing with student computer issues. I see an awful lot of Lattitudes and Inspirons that have faulty mobos, wiring, etc. Particularly problematic is the wiring to the monitor, which interestingly enough is the only thing Dell really does. The Thinkpads, Toshibas, and Sony's out there seem to have a better record.

Dell desktops don't seem to have too much trouble. My Pops has some in his office that all had bad NIC's, but that's more of a 3Com issue, and perhaps bad QC on Dell's part.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    japhyjaphy Posts: 13member
    [quote]

reformat the hard drive.

reinstall mac os x.

this is a kernel panic issue...

not hardware <hr></blockquote>

I originally hoped it was only a hard drive issue or something and so I tested the hard drive using the Install CD (to boot off) and Drive Setup and it came out fine. I also used my iBook (which is fine by the way) as a firewire drive and booted off that for a while but it still crashed in the same way .....

I also used another program ( I forgot which .... I think it was an cpu program which gave the temperature and cache and stuff (mac os 9 program)) to test the RAM which also came out fine and I swapped some modules in and out and still it crashed.

I tried reinstalling and everything before but I didn't try this "write to zero" option which sounds interesting ..... where is it??? Maybe just maybe that would help.....
  • Reply 12 of 34
    I'd just sell it on eBay. You probably got one of the numerous G4 LemonCubes.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    [quote] I'd just sell it on eBay. You probably got one of the numerous G4 LemonCubes. <hr></blockquote>

Sad but most probably true......just feels kinda unjust to waste a perfectly fine computer .... which is more than adequate for my parents .... and having to waste more money just to get a working computer.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 15 of 34
    [quote] Those utilities are nice lightweight directory fixers, not hardware utilities. They are useless for the task you need to do. Norton or TechTool have the proper tools to deal with physical media issues. You get good reports because the directory structures are fine, but that isn't where the problem lies, it's in a file thats internally corrupted for one of several potential reasons, nearly all of which are due to hardware errors (maybe the 1 in 10^14 random non-recoverable events variety or maybe a physical bad block etc...). You need the right tool for the right job. <hr></blockquote>

Hey cool!!!!!!! You seem to know what you're talking about! Suggest any good ones. I don't mind outlaying a little bit of money for official (ie non-carracho-ed) software if my computer gets fixed!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 16 of 34
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    [quote]Originally posted by Japhy:

<strong>

Hey cool!!!!!!! You seem to know what you're talking about! Suggest any good ones. I don't mind outlaying a little bit of money for official (ie non-carracho-ed) software if my computer gets fixed!!!!!!!!!!</strong><hr></blockquote>

The solution to your problem is quite simple.

Reformat the hard drive

Re-install system software

It's not a "Cube" issue.

[ 04-28-2002: Message edited by: Bodhi ]</p>
  • Reply 17 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by Bodhi:

<strong>

The solution to your problem is quite simple.

Reformat the hard drive

Re-install system software

It's not a "Cube" issue.

[ 04-28-2002: Message edited by: Bodhi ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Perhaps I read it wrong, but I was under the impression (s)he had already done that.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    [quote] Perhaps I read it wrong, but I was under the impression (s)he had already done that. <hr></blockquote>

Yeah, I'd tried it before but I'm gonna try it again but looking at my hard disk with Norton and using the 'write to zero' option. Its worth another try, the worst that could happen is my computer is the same afterwards as it was before! One thing though, how come the same thing happened when I was using my iBook as a firewire boot drive ..... was the cube still using files on its own hard disk???
  • Reply 19 of 34
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Have you added any 3rd party ram? It sounds like that could be the cause of some of your problems, esp. since even after booting of an external FW HD, you still had crashes. Pull out any new ram you put in and see if that helps. What about zapping the pram (cmd+option+p+r at boot time, let it ring 3 times) and resetting the power manager just to be sure. Don't reformat yet.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    Yeah have added some extra 3rd party RAM, I could try taking it out and seeing. Can Norton check the RAM as well??? Basically, if I buy Notron, would it check my whole computer fully and then tell me if there are any hardware problems?