Apple posts in-depth Apple Watch demonstration videos to new 'Guided Tours' webpage [updated with vi

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited April 2015
Apple on Friday launched an Apple Watch Guided Tours webpage, dedicating space for virtual tutorials that show users how they can expect to interact with various device hardware and software features come April 24.

The new dedicated webpage uses video demonstrations to give prospective buyers a quick primer on tentpole Apple Watch functions. Currently, the mini-site features four videos: a general overview Messages, Faces and Digital Touch.

Clips explaining specific features run between one and two minutes long, while the broader introductory teaser is nearly five minutes long.

For example, the Messages overview demonstrates how a user employs touch gestures, wrist movement, Digital Crown spins and voice input to dismiss, reply or send text-based communications. Glances, email, Quickboard machine-generated responses and animated emojis are also covered in the tour.

Related to Messages, Apple's Digital Touch video discusses how Apple Watch will provide new methods of communicating with friends. Pressing the side button just below the Digital Crown brings up a radial menu of friends from anywhere in the operating system. From there, users can choose to make a call, send a text or communicate via Digital Touch, the latter of which transmits drawings, haptic taps and even heart rate readings translated into haptic pulses. Apple says messaging options are contextual, meaning the option to send a Digital Touch message will only appear when a friend is wearing an Apple Watch.

Faces takes a close look at how users can pick and customize watch faces using swipes, taps and the Digital Crown. A number of variations are mentioned, including so-called "complications" inspired by traditional watches. These widget-like indicators display data like weather conditions, calendar events, moon phases and more. Tapping on a piece of information opens the full app.

Apple also lists a number of clips as "coming soon" -- phone calls, Siri, Maps, Music, Apple Pay, Activity and Workout -- offering a peek at what customers can look forward to in the days leading up to Apple Watch's debut.

The launch of Apple Watch Guided Tours came just hours after Apple announced preorders for the device are scheduled to start on April 10 at at 12:01 a.m. Pacific.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Neat. Can't wait to just use one.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    And already the guys at The Verge are confused. :rolleyes: Just goes to show its clear they have an anti ?Watch bias and agenda. I hope Apple doesn't send them a review unit.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member

I would have preferred the videos to be a lot more in depth. There was not really any new information for people who were already paying attention.

I am tired of watching demonstrations on how to customize that one boring watch face; I want to see a demonstration of the more interesting faces.

• Reply 4 of 40
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    iaeen wrote: »
    I would have preferred the videos to be a lot more in depth. There was not really any new information for people who were already paying attention.

I am tired of watching demonstrations on how to customize that one boring watch face; I want to see a demonstration of the more interesting faces.

There are more in depth videos. 3 of them and more coming soon.

Cant wait to get one!
  • Reply 5 of 40

These videos are for the average consumer not the geeks that follow every keynote and frequent sites like this.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

These videos are for the average consumer not the geeks that follow every keynote and frequent sites like this.

Sure, but it is possible to do demonstrations in such a way that it invites clever people to read between the lines and glean insight into the deeper functionality of the device and it is also possible to do demonstrations in such a way that it releases as little information as possible. Apple is doing the latter, and as someone who is very interested in ordering this product, I find that annoying.

• Reply 7 of 40
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    rogifan wrote: »

Sure, but it is possible to do demonstrations in such a way that it invites clever people to read between the lines and glean insight into the deeper functionality of the device and it is also possible to do demonstrations in such a way that it releases as little information as possible. Apple is doing the latter, and as someone who is very interested in ordering this product, I find that annoying.

Wow, such whining.

You have no idea what more Apple will do between now and the time it's actually available. Further, you have no idea how simple, intuitive and obvious it might be once you start to use it.

I don't recall Apple doing remotely as much for the iPod, iPhone or iPad.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    So, are they saying in the message "Guided Tour" that you won't be able to reply to a text message by just saying "Hey Siri, reply whatever whatever whatever"? If not, I'm going to be disappointed. ????
  • Reply 9 of 40
    So, does this mean that you will not be able to reply to a text by simply raising your wrist and saying "reply, whatever you want to say"? If not, I'm going to be disappointed.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

They were so intuitive you didn't need a video.

• Reply 11 of 40
    ascii wrote: »
    They were so intuitive you didn't need a video.

Bullshit. Apple has done guided tours for the Mac before and they also did them for the iPhone. If someone had never used an iPhone or iPad before would they intuitively know that long pressing in mail brings up a menu where you can do things like insert a photo or video? Would they intuitively know that you long press on text for copy/paste? Would they intuitively know you double click the home button to bring up the app switcher screen and that you swipe up to 'close' an app? Of course after 7 years of iPhone all this stuff is intuitive. But it wasn't for everyone when the iPhone first launched. I still remember the scene in the Sex and the City movie where Samantha handed Carrie her iPhone and Carrie took one look at it and handed it back saying "I don't know how to use this thing".

r02mao.jpg

The Watch is a brand new product with new UI. It makes perfect sense to do a guided tour of the features, Plus it serves marketing too. I saw several tweets from people who were on the fence or not really interested who now want the Watch. All because of these guided tours.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    Wow, such whining.

You have no idea what more Apple will do between now and the time it's actually available. Further, you have no idea how simple, intuitive and obvious it might be once you start to use it.

These videos are brilliant (even though as I suspected The Verge used them to throw up an article whring that the interface is confusing :rolleyes: ). I've seen a number of tweets from people not thinking about buying the watch but who want one now, just because of these videos. And Apple has a bunch more coming so I'm sure it will be a slow drip until April 10 when people can try them out in the store.
  • Reply 13 of 40

What I would like to know is will the watch allow for you to reply to a text using Siri? So, for example, would you be able to say "Hey Siri, reply Whatever you want to say" and then it send the text that way. If not, I am going to be disappointed. 

• Reply 14 of 40
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

These videos are brilliant (even though as I suspected The Verge used them to throw up an article whring that the interface is confusing image ). I've seen a number of tweets from people not thinking about buying the watch but who want one now, just because of these videos. And Apple has a bunch more coming so I'm sure it will be a slow drip until April 10 when people can try them out in the store.

The interface is fun, the under 35 set will eat it up. Compared to this, Android wear looks like it was done by an 60 year old accountant...

• Reply 15 of 40
    foggyhill wrote: »

The interface is fun, the under 35 set will eat it up. Compared to this, Android wear looks like it was done by an 60 year old accountant...

Now, now, there's no need to insult 60-year old accountants.... :\
  • Reply 16 of 40
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Bullshit. 

*shrug* I've used an iPad for years with no initial tutorial, my experience using desktop computers made me comfortable enough to jump right in. But the Apple Watch seems quite different, especially with the use of the crown, and definitely in need of a tutorial. I don't think it's BS that the Watch is less intuitive than previous iDevices.

• Reply 17 of 40
    ascii wrote: »
    *shrug* I've used an iPad for years with no initial tutorial, my experience using desktop computers made me comfortable enough to jump right in. But the Apple Watch seems quite different, especially with the use of the crown, and definitely in need of a tutorial. I don't think it's BS that the Watch is less intuitive than previous iDevices.

Do you really think that you'll need more than a few minutes to figure out what a device you rotate with your thumb and forefinger does on a given screen, given your experience with computers and comfort with an iPad from the get-go?
    :rolleyes:
  • Reply 18 of 40
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Now, now, there's no need to insult 60-year old accountants.... image

I'm a 47 year old mother of 2, senior mgr/cto/vp tech  (depend on the company :-); I'm not much fun either ;-). But, I'd like to think I'm fun (and even young sometimes...) (wishful thinking I guess).

• Reply 19 of 40
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    I think it looks really slick, I like the fact Apple took one more year to perfect it rather than rushing it to market like the rest. I can't wait to buy one
  • Reply 20 of 40
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,120member

I think the Watch itself will be reasonably intuitive. These videos seems to meet my expectations. Really looking forward to getting one.

But...I do think users will need to spend a little bit of time getting the Watch to do exactly what they want. The companion app on the iPhone will be important for this. I already know the notifications and message will need to be set very selectively. I get a lotta spam, and I don't want it on my wrist. My iPhone has a lot of stuff enabled that I won't want on the Watch. I suspect some users will be upset it can't just read their minds.

I think Apple would be wise to set a lot of things to default off. Let the new users go find things to enable. And get the "cool" reaction.