Roku updates set-tops & mobile apps with features like voice search, Roku Feed

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited April 2015
Apple TV competitor Roku today updated its streaming media set-tops and companion mobile apps with new voice search functions, access to a content discovery system dubbed "Roku Feed," and faster hardware in the case of the Roku 2.




The company's flagship set-top, the $100 Roku 3, now includes a remote with a button-activated microphone that lets users search for video by title, actor, or director. The function works from anywhere within the Roku firmware, and when launched will present a range of subscribed services from which finds can be seen.

In its early incarnation, the Roku Feed lets users mark titles not yet on streaming services in order to get notifications when they become available. Like the company's other search options, notifications will show which services have a title and for what price.

Roku says it plans to expand Feed functions in the future. In the meantime, it is also upgrading the Channel Store with the ability to search for a channel by name.

Roku Feed and the new search options are being pushed out as a software update for current-generation Roku set-tops and TVs beginning today, finishing by the end of the month. The company's iOS and Android apps have likewise been updated, though the iOS release is only due to go live sometime later this week. The apps can be used to control a Roku device or push local media to one.

A new model of the Roku 2 has been released to match the performance of the Roku 3. It costs $70, and omits only the Roku 3's new remote.

Apple is rumored to be following in the footsteps of Roku and Amazon by simialrly adding voice search to a future Apple TV. The product could premiere at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference in June, and ship sometime this fall alongside a new subscription streaming service.

The hardware will allegedly sport an A8 processor, more storage, and access to an App Store, but not 4K video.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 15
    No Ethernet, I assume? My current Roku doesn't and it's kinda useless for me now.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    macnut222macnut222 Posts: 100member

    The new Roku 2 & 3 both have Ethernet built-in, the cheaper models don't.

     

    https://www.roku.com/products/compare

  • Reply 3 of 15
    cashxxcashxx Posts: 106member
    So thats it? No Roku 4?
  • Reply 4 of 15
    macnut222macnut222 Posts: 100member

    Yeah. It seems they chose to keep the name but upgrade the internals (on the 2 & 3). I'd consider getting the new 3, but that depends on what Apple does.

  • Reply 5 of 15
    pigybankpigybank Posts: 165member
    AppleTV or bust. AirPlay ans iTunes Store for the win. Zero interest in Rokrap.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,172member

    Oh my GOD, ROKU just updated their hardware is no 4K support!!!!  It's the end of the world,.oh wait,...  That only apply's to Apple.  There's no 4K support either with the Chromecast, but that doesn't matter!!!!

     

    I have 2 ROKU 2 XS's and 3 Apple TV 3's.  But I have a ROKU 3 on order and in fact It's showing Delivered right now so I should have it when I get home.  I don't give a crap amount a MIC, or really even the Headphones.  I have full size wireless headphones that work with whatever device I'm using as it's plugged into the TV.  I just Mute the TV and I can hear whatever is playing on it and control the volume with my Headset.  AppleTV, ROKU, Xbox, Xbox, doesn't matter.  The ROKU are a great device.  I use it more then Apple TV by far because of PLEX mainly.   I don't want to Airplay if I don't have to.   I'll buy a new AppleTV also if/when one comes out.    I even have a Amazon Fire Stick.  Hell it was only $19 at the time I got it.  I've only screwed with the thing a couple times.  

     

    Point being, AppleTV, ROKU, Amazon Fire, Chromecast, NONE support 4K.   what little 4K content there is, is a joke.  it's like streaming 1080P content.  The crap is compressed out of it.  It's not really 1080P content anymore, though they charge you more all the same.  Sure not Blu-Ray quality.  Until there's 4K discs you can buy to get true 4K content, who gives a F about 4K!!!!   4K is what you see when you go out to the movies and watch on a HUGE SCREEN!!!

  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pigybank View Post



    AppleTV or bust. AirPlay ans iTunes Store for the win. Zero interest in Rokrap.

     

     

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

    roku's days are numbered.

     

    The new AppleTV will destroy all




    If the new AppleTV doesn't have an open channel store it's useless to me and many others. I can get iTunes content on my Mac Mini HTPC. My Roku has content I can't get on AppleTV, therefore I still have one.

  • Reply 8 of 15
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,985member
    sog35 wrote: »
    roku's days are numbered.

    The new AppleTV will destroy all

    Me thinks not. The Roku has so much more content.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,172member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

    roku's days are numbered.

     

    The new AppleTV will destroy all


     

    Really?  based on what?  a RUMOR?  ZERO FACTS.  It's this crap that give Apple users a bad rap.  Blinding just saying Apple is better with zero facts.  Until I see the product and Apple actually says something and shows something, I'm not going to just anything based on a RUMOR.  

     

    Right now, personally having 2 ROKU 2 XS's, 3 Apple TV 3's, a Amazon Fire Stick, 4 Xbox 360's, a Xbox One, a Wii and a PS3 all which can do streaming, and even have a ROKU 3 which should be waiting for me at home right now, the ROKU is the clear all around winner.   The AppleTV is good.  but the thing has needed a App store for a few years now.  Apple is adding a bunch of channels I don't want and now have to remove as I don't have a Cable subscription.   That's annoying!!!  I really don't buy music or movies from Apple.  The only Big thing with Apple TV is AirPlay.  If I can, I'd rather not have to use it.  Why Airplay PLEX which I use almost daily when I can just use a ROKU that has support for PLEX?    Apple is playing catching up adding lots of channels, the only problem is they all need a Cable subscription or PAY.  Let me know when PLEX is built into AppleTV and not some hack!!!

     

    I don't own any MAC's.  I'm still a long time Windows PC user since Windows 95, jumping from the Amiga platform.  I'd Emulate a MAC back then to run Netscape on it.    I think Windows 8/8.1 stink for a number of reasons which is why I use Windows 7 Pro.  But I have my iPhone 6, my iPad 3, my Apple TV's.  My dad who lives with me has his iPhone 6, iPad 2 and a Mac Mini.   I buy and use what I like.  ROKU is not going anywhere.  Any new RUMORED AppleTV is just that, a RUMOR.  I'm still waiting for that Apple HDTV which according to rumors was suppose to be released a couple years ago.   Where is it, oh wait, it was yet another RUMOR!!!!!!!!!!!

     

    Can you try not sounding like another blind iSheep.  At least wait for the real product before you go off in your own little world.

  • Reply 10 of 15
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,172member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post





    Me thinks not. The Roku has so much more content.

     

    I think before going off being another isheep, you wait until there's a actual product and real FACTS.  Not base what you say off of a RUMOR!!!

    Is there going to be a new AppleTV?  Well it's been 3 years, it's about time for a update, but I think the biggest clue is the recent price drop.  I think Apple will continue to sell this version as the lower cost one like ROKU, and then release a new $99 priced one.   I would assume Apple will go with the A8.  What features, or when this thing will get released?!?!?!?!?!?   

     

    Maybe it'll finally get that App store I've said it's needed for the last couple years.  To me it's annoying for APple to be adding all these channels on their own and then I have to go disable them myself when I didn't want them in the first place.  if there was a store.  if I wanted something I could download on my own at that time getting what I need.   Being a cable cutter, all these channels Apple is adding are worthless to me.  They all require a cable subscription.  No thanks!!!!   I'm sure as hell not going to start paying Apple $30-$40 a month for some channels either.  That's sure not a solution I'm looking for.  

     

    I wish people wouldn't be such SHEEP on a non-existent product.

  • Reply 11 of 15
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member



    Um hes agreeing with you. That the Roku has more content.

  • Reply 12 of 15
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,985member
    mechanic wrote: »

    Um hes agreeing with you. That the Roku has more content.

    I thought that was pretty clear. It's not like I spoke in code, or in parable form.
  • Reply 13 of 15
  • Reply 14 of 15
    That comment about using Plex is the first kind word I've seen about Plex which should be able to stream video from my computer but won't forget the previous Windows installation and cannot be reset. The potential is there but with zero tech support, not even for a fee, I'm stuck with a useless mess of data inside the Fire TV Stick. I've resorted to using RealPlayer Cloud which does all the streaming I need without the absurd setup Plex demands. In addition, there is real tech support provided by RealPlayer at no charge in comparison to the thousands of web pages Plex has with tons of comments like I can't get my Fire TV to work with Plex. Please help! This is such a huge problem that it seems no one actually gets Plex to work more than the first day.
Sign In or Register to comment.