Disney reportedly pressuring Apple to accept more channels for rumored Internet TV service

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    aderutter wrote: »
    They have to compete with NetFlix surely?
    There must be lots of folk like me who almost solely use NetFlix.
    £30 a month? That's not disruptive that's just as costly as satellite TV - and that's setting aside the bandwidth costs.
    However they'd likely get some money from me if I could pick and pay for what you want. Ideally a cost per channel, with maybe three different tiered channel prices?

I'm with you 100%. We are solely Netflix even though we get free Comcast HD with our HOA. I just can't stand even switching the HDMI from our Apple TV input to that awful interface and adverts every ten seconds. No thank you!
  • Reply 22 of 23
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    I'm with you 100%. We are solely Netflix even though we get free Comcast HD with our HOA. I just can't stand even switching the HDMI from our Apple TV input to that awful interface and adverts every ten seconds. No thank you!

Well said. Now if only Apple is able to offer an alternative to the current abysmal cable model. We too get every channel under the sun but almost never look at any of them. The ads are just too painful. We could deal with ads at the start of a program but the constant interruption is just too much. We are more than willing to pay for an ad free, or even an ads before, model. As it is, I far prefer Netflix or Amazon Prime via the Amazon Fire TV. Still use our Apple ATV's but the new channels just keep replicating the ads' model of standard TV.
  • Reply 23 of 23
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Say what? U.S. population growth is declining but the population overall is still increasing and will for decades.

"The United States population growth is at an historical low level as the United States current birth rates are the lowest ever recorded.[27] The low birth rates in the contemporary United States can possibly be ascribed to the recession, which led women to postpone having children and fewer immigrants coming to the US. The current US birth rates are not high enough to maintain the size of the U.S. population, according to The Economist."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birth_rate#Current

Access to TV entertainment will be the least of our worries according to projected trends. Obamacare came about because the larger population (Boomers) vastly outnumber the succeeding generations (X'ers and Millennials). The healthcare burden has been shifted from the old to the much smaller population of the young, however healthcare is just one burden for younger Americans. The problems will all fall on the young and the economic pressures will be incredible over the next twenty years.