Apple revamps Siri informational webpage with example interactions, fresh graphical style

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2015
Alongside Wednesday's iOS 8.3 rollout with expanded international support for Siri, Apple launched a redesigned expository webpage that helps explain how users can interact with the virtual assistant.

As seen in the image above, Apple compiled a list of possible Siri interactions and tips, arranged by categories in grid style layout, to serve as an introduction to its iOS digital assistant.

Apple says you can "[t]alk to Siri as you would to a friend and it can help you get things done," referring to the system's capability of translating conversational language into commands. For example, users can ask Siri to send messages, create calendar events and pull in information from the Internet.

In addition to well-known interactions, Apple lists a few "bonuses" in the "Tips and Tricks" category, such as flipping a coin and rolling a pair of virtual dice. Sample questions are provided, for example, "What movies are playing today?" and "Are we there yet?," the latter of which returns an estimated time of arrival while navigating.

Apple lays everything out in an open visual style reminiscent of the Online Apple Store, with animated graphics hovering amid copious white space. Users can browse through a variety of sample interactions in categories including "At a glance," "Staying in touch," "Getting organized," "Sports," "Entertainment," "Out and about," "Getting answers" and "Tips and tricks."

As Apple's website is constantly evolving, often times as piecemeal section updates, Siri's relaunched webpage could be a sign of things to come for other products like CarPlay and Maps.

Earlier today, Apple expanded Siri capabilities to nine new countries including Brazil, Denmark, India, Netherlands, New Zealand, Russia, Sweden, Thailand and Turkey.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Siri for all the iDevices and now the Watch. When will these dolts include Siri with OS X? Windows 10 Tech Preview includes Cortana, at least Microsoft knows where the ball is going.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    lolliverlolliver Posts: 497member
    I like the new design and I think it does a good job of educating users on what Siri can do. I even found a couple of features I didn't know Siri had.

Of course I'm not sure how many iOS users will go to the Apple website and read that information. I still come across iPhone owners that have never heard of Siri. It's a like opening up a whole new world for them when you show them how to use Siri and what she can do.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,703member
    That is awesome.
    I wonder if SIRI still uses Nuance? They probably do at a fundamental level.
    Nuance has 86 languages covered.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    lolliver wrote: »
    I like the new design and I think it does a good job of educating users on what Siri can do. I even found a couple of features I didn't know Siri had.

Of course I'm not sure how many iOS users will go to the Apple website and read that information. I still come across iPhone owners that have never heard of Siri. It's a like opening up a whole new world for them when you show them how to use Siri and what she can do.

'Users' are many and varied and you are right, many will never know how to use Siri. As an anecdotal example of 'users' lack of knowledge in general, I often deal people needing help with their web sites after parting company with their previous web designer. It is staggering how many I have come across who search Google for their own web site using key words rather than just entering their own domain name as that was the only way they knew to find it. I could go on all day with such horror stories of abysmal comprehension of all things digital! :no:.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    bengbeng Posts: 34member
    A Siri update and Apple Watch had to go hand in hand. The watch demands a very conversational interface, since the physical interface is quite limited.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Siri rarely works for me. I just went to the site, put in a question using the exact language on the site. (how many regular season games does each NBA team play?) Siri came back with "Here is what's coming up in the NBA for today"

Didn't even answer that question correctly.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Hmm, still as useless at doing certain things as ever.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BenG View Post

A Siri update and Apple Watch had to go hand in hand. The watch demands a very conversational interface, since the physical interface is quite limited.

Well then, users are going to be wasting a dreadful amount of time getting Siri (or iSir, as I prefer to call it) to understand what is being requested of him/her. Good job they've got a dumb smart watch to monitor, log and produce pretty graphs with which to display the very few hours usefully spent in one working day when not tussling with iSir and the retarded brain.