Update your Mac: Apple fixes major flaw in OS X Yosemite, but won't patch Lion, Mountain Lion or Mav

Comments

• Reply 21 of 102
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Non issue for me as all of my Macs are relatively new, with the 5K iMac being my latest purchase. I couldn't go back to ML or Lion and lose out on the integration with iOS devices etc. Its a bit harsh if you are rocking yesteryear hardware though.
  • Reply 22 of 102
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    [quote]
    Seriously, those railing on the new system and refusing to move to it are missing out on heaps of benefits. So Photos doesn't live up to some people's expectations. Whoopdeedoo. It's not like there's no other options for them.
    [/quote]
    Also this is na initial release of Photos, it will very likely improve over time like most Apple apps.
    [quote]
    The security and performance benefits alone are a great reason to upgrade. The fact it's FREE to do so shouldn't even be a reason to not upgrade.
    [/quote]
    This is especially true considering how many bugs have been squashed in the latest release and along with those dead bugs, performance has improved in many aspects.
    [quote]
    Frankly you deserve to  have someone gain root access to your machine.
    [/quote]

Well maybe not, I don't wish having someones machine rooted on anybody. However the stupidity that seems to come along with the Luddite crowd can make me change my mind.
  • Reply 23 of 102

Sorry but there's too many flaws and things about Yosemite that I don't like about it to upgrade. Photos is just one of them. The OP is hardly an "idiot" as you ascribe to him.

When a clear description of the problem and its danger is so vividly presented and it is ignored, then yeah that tis stupidity! As for flaws Yosemite got rid of many flaws form previous releases just like every Apple OS update that has come along. Sure it has imperfections just like any OS but it also has plenty of refinements. If you just look at the negatives you will never see the positives.
  • Reply 24 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

When a clear description of the problem and its danger is so vividly presented and it is ignored, then yeah that tis stupidity! As for flaws Yosemite got rid of many flaws form previous releases just like every Apple OS update that has come along. Sure it has imperfections just like any OS but it also has plenty of refinements. If you just look at the negatives you will never see the positives.

Like I said I'll give it some more time when I head to the Apple Store later today. I may just update it on my '07 MBP and test it out on that one before I update my main iMac

• Reply 25 of 102
    habi wrote: »
    I have 4 macs without even 1 in yosemite. I think I will follow this closely. Depending on apples moves to determine which operation system will be on my next new machine. It would be sad to dump Apple, but if they leave me no chose with teir security policies then so be it.

The fix is pretty damn clear upgrade to Yosemite and get over your Luddite fears. It is totally asinine at this point to skip upgrading. Frankly it is a lot more than this security fix that will benefit you.
  • Reply 26 of 102
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    habi wrote: »
    I have 4 macs without even 1 in yosemite. I think I will follow this closely. Depending on apples moves to determine which operation system will be on my next new machine. It would be sad to dump Apple, but if they leave me no chose with teir security policies then so be it.

uhh - that's a bit extreme, don't you think ?
    It's your decision to knowingly run with the vulnerability.
    Why won't you upgrade ? Software or some other reason ...
  • Reply 27 of 102
    Thanks for the comment. The "block" feature is really getting a workout here recently on posters unwilling to engage in rational discussion.
    Block all you want but there is nothing rational about leaving your machine vulnerable to known exploits. It is prime example of stupidity.
    It's always been a bit of a mix of real discussions and emotional outbursts, but my tolerance for the latter has reached an all-time low.

You really need to read what YOU post and then think a bit about the reactions you get. The reactions are not unreasonable at all. Leaving your machine vulnerable to known exploits is bad for you, but it is also bad for the net as a whole.
  • Reply 28 of 102
    quevarquevar Posts: 101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Darryn Lowe View Post

Then you're an idiot.

Seriously, those railing on the new system and refusing to move to it are missing out on heaps of benefits. So Photos doesn't live up to some people's expectations. Whoopdeedoo. It's not like there's no other options for them.

The security and performance benefits alone are a great reason to upgrade. The fact it's FREE to do so shouldn't even be a reason to not upgrade.

Seriously, chill out and stop with the personal attacks.  I agree with OP, Yosemite has some huge issues and it is definitely not for everyone to necessarily upgrade to.  Apple seems to be using this to push more people onto Yosemite, but not supporting a two year old OS is a very short time, even by Apple's standards.

I've tried Yosemite on a few machines and they are slower than they were before upgrading from Mavericks.  They have changed a number of things that simply ruin my workflow, so I never upgraded my main machine until I can get some alternatives figured out.  Apple is just now getting the WiFi connectivity to work reliably.  Photos has removed several features that I liked in iPhoto with not very good alternatives to use.  Apple has been getting in the nasty habit of removing features when they release new software and somehow claiming it is better than before when it doesn't even do the same things are before.  Sure, there are other features that might be nice, but why should I give up features that I like for features that I may not even need?

• Reply 29 of 102
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    you deserve root access. we all deserve root access. no longer will the 1% have root access while the remaining 99% have limited access to resources.
  • Reply 30 of 102
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Darryn Lowe View Post

Then you're an idiot.

He's so caught up in all his blabber that he's thinking far more than simply looking.

I've been playing with the new Photos app and think it's really slick—a LOT better than the previous version.

I've also been on Yosemite since its inception and think it's yet again the best OS Apple has produced.

• Reply 31 of 102
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    There's just no way I'll upgrade to Yosemite at this point. The bashing of Photos alone has convinced me to wait longer, however many other issues have more than convinced me that Yosemite isn't for me yet.

Yosemite is awesome. What on earth is your problem?
  • Reply 32 of 102
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Then you're an idiot.

Hey, noob.

SpamSandwich has been here since you were just a cheeky look in your dad's eye. He's no fool.

Of the thousand ways that you could have responded to that post you decided that calling someone an idiot was the best course of action. Not cool.

How about you show a little more respect when trying to make your points in the the future?
  • Reply 33 of 102
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member

...some people live in simple worlds, typing on blogs and railing against those who might have substantial investments in valuable workflows, hardware or other requirements that cannot simply be 'plug & prayed' forward...

The general tone of the critical commentary I find appalling (do you work for the NSA?) as if anyone deserves to be root access hacked...? I understand provocation is widely considered 'trolling'...?

I've used macs since System 7.1, and very regrettably I've really just about had it with Apple. I'm a shareholder. I've had meaningful correspondence with senior people at the company. I have beta tested one of the most expensive & complex vertical applications available for the platform. I am frustrated & unhappy with the rate of seemingly meaningless churn, and the work & obsolescence it now seems to require, for use in business...

At a certain point I have to ask if the mac is losing relevance for serious work, and Apple has chosen to drift to be a consumer product company, despite the brilliant hardware design of the pro tower & iMac ?

Operating systems I have a fond recollection of include 9.2.2, 10.4.11 (on a 30" cinema display) and Snow Leopard. I have skipped from 10.6 to 10.10 and had nothing but aggravation, and any new features while nice in many ways, are no match for the pain & cost of the many issues faced. Days if not weeks lost. The one exception I might suggest is the Server updates which I have found the most meaningful, at a basic ease of use, customer experience user level...

So there is yet another opinion. And I have stopped all hardware purchases, running 6 pre 2010 macs into the ground, with Snow Leopard on the now (only) single additional partition allowed by Yosemite's Disk First Aid, which might be one of the most quantifiable examples of the MacOS dumbing down, and lack of usability...

• Reply 34 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Yosemite is awesome. What on earth is your problem?

Exactly.

• Reply 35 of 102
    Old machine, no money to upgrade hardware. Guess I have to live with the issue. ????
  • Reply 36 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Hey, noob.

SpamSandwich has been here since you were just a cheeky look in your dad's eye. He's no fool.

Of the thousand ways that you could have responded to that post you decided that calling someone an idiot was the best course of action. Not cool.

How about you show a little more respect when trying to make your points in the the future?

Well I'm no spring chicken, as my first machine was the Macintosh 512 in 1987 which I bought at the age of 37. I've been a full-time professional technical artist, making my living and supporting a family exclusively on Macs since then and have bought many thousands of dollars of Apple computers and products over the years.

I can say in all honesty that I have rarely of ever been seriously disappointed in any of Apple's OSs—especially since OS X.1. Though, admittedly, knowing that it was the first iteration, I was anxious to get the next update, observing the limitations the first version.

As pleased as I've been with each OS as it came out, like Apple, I've never been satisfied with the "status quo" and I've eagerly upgraded to the next best hardware and the next best OS. Each update has enabled me to do more work and more pleasantly than the previous one.

So I have no patience whatsoever with any of you blowhards running off at the keyboard with your righteous indignations and your petty gossip and bad-mouthing a great company and its people.

Apple is constantly "moving on" and so should all of you.

• Reply 37 of 102
    texdeafytexdeafy Posts: 78member
    Yes, I'm huge Apple fans. Apple, **** you for not update Lion, Mountain Lion, and Mavericks with this serious flaw. We old OS X users could NOT afford buy new Apple computer every 2-3 years so we can get the latest OS version with better security. My mid 2007 MacBook run fine and is on Mac OS X Lion even though it's damaged by water (not my fault, there's fault in a water pipe behind the wall at my old apartment, it's horrible, flood my bedroom and it's like heavy rain from ceiling.) ruin my bed and other stuff but my MacBook survived. I'm still use it until it went no good and no longer work. Why waste a lot of money buy new MacBook that compatible with new OS?? That's stupid, IMHO.
  • Reply 38 of 102
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by King Editor the Grate View Post

This is one of those times I'm glad to still be on Snow Leopard!

Unsupported as of February 26, 2014.

You're rolling the dice. 

Then again, it's OS X, so you're pretty safe as it is. Just keep in mind that it's an unsupported OS as of over a year ago. 

• Reply 39 of 102
    jbfromozjbfromoz Posts: 91member

Apple in the enterprise means that we cannot issue new systems to 300 plus users without testing production workflows extensively for problems with new systems.

Deprecated code means some business critical apps will not run, solutions need to be found and tested.

This cannot be done overnight.

Wanting to run the bleeding edge and being able to are two different things, something that has long plagued us with Apple's rapid movements "forward" without notice.

• Reply 40 of 102
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quevar View Post

Seriously, chill out and stop with the personal attacks.  I agree with OP, Yosemite has some huge issues and it is definitely not for everyone to necessarily upgrade to.  Apple seems to be using this to push more people onto Yosemite, but not supporting a two year old OS is a very short time, even by Apple's standards.

I've tried Yosemite on a few machines and they are slower than they were before upgrading from Mavericks.  They have changed a number of things that simply ruin my workflow, so I never upgraded my main machine until I can get some alternatives figured out.  Apple is just now getting the WiFi connectivity to work reliably.  Photos has removed several features that I liked in iPhoto with not very good alternatives to use.  Apple has been getting in the nasty habit of removing features when they release new software and somehow claiming it is better than before when it doesn't even do the same things are before.  Sure, there are other features that might be nice, but why should I give up features that I like for features that I may not even need?

to quote John Siracusa,  "Apple often drags it's users along even those users scream and kicking". With ~30K photos, iPhoto barely work but Photos just handle them beautifully, lives up to the "smooth like butter" claim. Spotlight works much better centering on the screen. And the whole UI is just striking. Are u waiting for Apple to release a new file system to upgrade? don't hold your breadth.