Photos and video show first Apple Watch try-on sessions in Australia and Asia

Comments

• Reply 21 of 83
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    tobiwan wrote: »
    How soon you forget all of the criticisms and jokes of iPad. Geez

I didn't forget, and the one thing that they couldn't say about the name was that it wasn't original. The iPad name has become synonymous for all tablets.
  • Reply 22 of 83
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Then why name it a watch?

is the iPhone just a phone? uh, no.
  • Reply 23 of 83
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Back then the phone part was indeed a primary function, so the naming made sense. Airtight all the way.

no, it really wasn't one of the main things they pitched at all. cell phones were old hat by 2007. watch the keynote.
  • Reply 24 of 83
    dsddsd Posts: 186member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Then why name it a watch?

Two Way Wrist Radio™ was already taken.

• Reply 25 of 83
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    is the iPhone just a phone? uh, no.

Again, the phone was its primary function back then. There were no apps at first, and the web browsing sucked balls.
  • Reply 26 of 83
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    no, it really wasn't one of the main things they pitched at all. cell phones were old hat by 2007. watch the keynote.

Who the hell is going to pitch a cell phone decades after it was invented?
  • Reply 27 of 83
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

I tried a few on, wow do they feel nice & premium!!!.

i took a few pics too.

• Reply 28 of 83
    danielsw wrote: »
    We're NOT descended from apes. That was a Darwinian misconception which too many stupid people swallowed.

It's NOT utterly insignificant. It's our home.

We're NOT descended from apes. That was a Darwinian misconception which too many stupid people swallowed.

The ?Watch IS a neat idea which will prove itself, not to the knuckle draggers, but to the enlightenable souls who can simply look at something and perceive its usefulness which will only increase over time.

You are right we are not descended from apes. Apes and humans are descended from a common ancestor. And as a result of evolution through natural selection we have this beautiful new very smart watch we can buy!
  • Reply 29 of 83
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    danielsw wrote: »

The ?Watch IS a neat idea which will prove itself, not to the knuckle draggers, but to the enlightenable souls who can simply look at something and perceive its usefulness which will only increase over time.

You must be right, even though we share ~90% ape DNA. You can't get them to wear watches, much less work to buy them.
  • Reply 30 of 83
    You are right we are not descended from apes. Apes and humans are descended from a common ancestor. And as a result of evolution through natural selection we have this beautiful new very smart watch we can buy!

Of which there is zero proof of. It's still only a theory.
  • Reply 31 of 83

This is the funniest thing I've seen at the MR thread, esp after my own experience with no line-ups at my local Samsung Store.

Tweeted by Craig Federighi himself.

https://twitter.com/_HairForceOne/status/586313943943000064/photo/1

• Reply 32 of 83

So any product people don't line up for is a total failure?
  • Reply 33 of 83
    Of which there is zero proof of. It's still only a theory.

And so is germ "theory," but I bet you take antibiotics. Scientific theories are not guesses, the are ways of organizing facts to account for the data. There is considerable data that contribute to the facts of evolution which are organized by the theory. I recommend Neil Shubins book Your Inner Fish which shows how the facts are collected and analyzed with converging evidence from both the field (fossils) and the laboratory.

But, this Apple Watch day, let's just be happy the inventors believe in the theory of time.
  • Reply 34 of 83
    Quote:

So any product people don't line up for is a total failure?

You must have missed my post earlier. The Samsung Store by me has a huge LED TV set up in the mall outside their store with a banner that reads "The phone worth lining up for".

Then there's the "Matrix style" security guards.

Oh, and the fact previous Galaxy S launches DID in fact have lines, especially in places like Sydney where everyone gets the phone first (reviewers, iFixit and others usually source their phones from here as well, to get a head start on their reporting).

So, yes, to not see anyone at a Samsung Store for the launch of what's supposed to be the best Galaxy phone ever is kind of a big deal.

• Reply 35 of 83
    And so is germ "theory," but I bet you take antibiotics. Scientific theories are not guesses, the are ways of organizing facts to account for the data. There is considerable data that contribute to the facts of evolution which are organized by the theory. I recommend Neil Shubins book Your Inner Fish which shows how the facts are collected and analyzed with converging evidence from both the field (fossils) and the laboratory.

But, this Apple Watch day, let's just be happy the inventors believe in the theory of time.

We can see germs under a microscope. The fossil record is a complete joke.

And yes theories are guesses. Plenty of scientific theories have been proven wrong when more evidence was found.
  • Reply 36 of 83
    You must have missed my post earlier. The Samsung Store by me has a huge LED TV set up in the mall outside their store with a banner that reads "The phone worth lining up for".

Then there's the "Matrix style" security guards.

Oh, and the fact previous Galaxy S launches DID in fact have lines, especially in places like Sydney where everyone gets the phone first (reviewers, iFixit and others usually source their phones from here as well, to get a head start on their reporting).

So, yes, to not see anyone at a Samsung Store for the launch of what's supposed to be the best Galaxy phone ever is kind of a big deal.

Ahhhh gotcha. The matrix style guards is pretty funny, and utterly pathetic. When will Samsung learn that consumers decide if your product is 'cool', and not because you tell them it is? My guess is never.
  • Reply 37 of 83
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

The Apple store is down! Just sayin'. :rolleyes:

• Reply 38 of 83
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

No it doesn't. It'll sell like hotcakes.

IMHO the black one looks too big for the (presumably) male wrist in the first photo.

Are they made like hotcakes?

• Reply 39 of 83
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:

Again, the phone was its primary function back then. There were no apps at first, and the web browsing sucked balls.

As compared to what?  The ASCII web browsing capabilities of other smart phones at the time?

Here's a list of the reasons why I bought the 1st gen iPhone at a premium off eBay and hacked it to work in Canada:

- Text messaging & email were far better than other phones (no need to press number keys till your fingers bleed)

- Music playing and management was miles ahead of anyone else

- You could actually use it with a Mac.  Most smart phone makers only had Windows versions of their syncing software at the time because they have no software expertise.

- Upgradeability.  With most other phones, the only thing you could do was buy a new one to get major OS upgrades (i.e. they were built on throwaway technology)

- Being able to backup and restore information properly as I upgraded phones.  I can't remember how many contacts I lost over the years when I entered them into a phone which couldn't transfer them to a computer properly so that they could be moved to my next phone.

- I knew it was only a matter of time before an SDK would be released given that the hacker community was using open source development tools that worked on existing ARM embedded systems and reverse engineering to create apps from day one

But hey, keep convincing yourself that it was only a phone.

• Reply 40 of 83

Insignificant blue-green planet? It is the only planet with life on it!

And digital watches are cool!!

And I will transfer a lot of green pieces of paper to get me some digital watch!!!

Damn! So long Douglas. And Thanks for all the fish!