Chinese Apple Pay launch in limbo as iOS 8.3 fails to deliver expected UnionPay support

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2015
Negotiations between Apple and China's state-owned credit and debit card processor UnionPay to launch Apple Pay services have hit a wall, according to a report on Monday, suggesting iPhone 6 owners in the region may not be able to use Apple's mobile payments service anytime soon.

Citing sources close to ongoing talks, MarketWatch reports Apple and UnionPay have not yet reached an accord on how Apple Pay will roll out in China, a feature expected to debut with iOS 8.3 last week.

The publication previously pegged Apple's NFC-based service to launch in March, but later said talks with UnionPay stalled. As of today, a rollout timeline does not exist, the report said.

Apple has little choice but to move through UnionPay, as the company handles all interbank transactions in mainland China. For example, both China Mobile and China Unicom field NFC payment services, but each system links with UnionPay to transfer money from customer bank accounts.

In addition to UnionPay, sources claim Apple engaged in talks with eight major Chinese banks last year, but those discussions also failed to pan out. Along with technical hurdles, Apple's fees are thought to be a major obstacle to obtaining Chinese ratification. In the U.S., Apple takes 0.15 percent of a 2 percent per-payment merchant fee, plus a half-cent per-transaction charge. Chinese banks are reportedly reluctant to cede such high percentages to Apple.

With iPhone 6 and 6 Plus selling in record numbers, Apple is looking to expand support for its branded touchless payments service beyond U.S. borders, though negotiations have yet to bear fruit. Reports in December said Apple was discussing options to release a UK version of Apple Pay in early 2015, but that timeline has been pushed back as talks with local banks continue.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    Australia has the highest percentage penetration of wireless NFC terminals and the highest rate of payment using those wireless terminals (nearly 2/3rds). Both representatives from Visa and Mastercard have already made mention of rolling out tokenisation in 2015 in the land downunder. Mastercard went so far to suggest that Australia would be their first Asian Pacific country.

If anything, I think we'll see Australia/Canada/UK/Sweden/Germany before we see China. These four regions are much further ahead with both wireless and tokenisation plans.

The delay for Apple Pay is not Apple, and unfortunately there isn't too much that Apple can do at this stage. Apple pay launched the *same month* tokenisation became available in the USA.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ECats View Post

If anything, I think we'll see Australia/Canada/UK/Sweden/Germany before we see China. These four regions are much further ahead with both wireless and tokenisation plans.

4 of the top 5 card issuers are in China. On the other hand, Germany has one of the lowest payment card use rates in the West, and out of those, the majority is Girocard.

• Reply 3 of 20
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Could be a matter of the right corrupt official not yet being adequately taken care of or maybe China will simply rip off Apple Pay wholesale and implement their own stolen technology version.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Nothing new to report in this article.

Apple continues to negotiate with Union Pay. China has a monopoly on credit card use. So Apple continues to negotiate.

If anything, it will be the growth of Apple marketshare with the wealthy in China that is going to pressure Union Pay to allow Apple Pay.

And China's affluent class buys a third of all the luxury goods in the world.
    They only buy iPhones.
    It would be a loss of face to buy something signaling cheapness as an Android phone.

So as the iPhone is used by more and more of China's affluent, it will be a weight that Union Pay cannot ignore.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In the U.S., Apple takes 0.15 percent of a 2 percent per-payment merchant fee, plus a half-cent per-transaction charge. Chinese banks are reportedly reluctant to cede such high percentages to Apple.

What is the regular merchant fee in China?  Do they even charge a fee to its citizens, or is it a matter of the Chinese government not wanting Apple (or any foreign company) to have that kind of monetary access to the Chinese people?

What really pi$$es me off about the Chinese government is their refusal to allow foreign companies access to its market, or make it hugely difficult to the point of folks giving up, or having to hand over IP in the name of "national security".  I thought the point of being in the WTO is adhering to a set of rules to allow equal access to each other's market?  China's arrogance and abuse of the WTO should have booted them out ages ago.  The WTO has shown zero cajones in dealing with China.  China knows it can get away with it knowing that the global economy wants their $30 microwave ovens.

Enough is enough.  Jettison China out of the WTO like a bad habit.

• Reply 6 of 20
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ECats View Post

If anything, I think we'll see Australia/Canada/UK/Sweden/Germany before we see China.

I hope so. I'm itching to use it.

• Reply 7 of 20
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Typical China attitude: pay cheap to nothing on everything. They don't play by rules.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    shardshard Posts: 96member
    If you have been to China you will realize that 90% of local retailers are cash only. Even if they do accept credit card payment, it is UnionPay and they have maybe one counter per floor or even one counter per mall that is able to process credit cards.

China also has their own payment systems in place that make it very easy to transfer money from one individual to another.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    jameskatt2 wrote: »
    Nothing new to report in this article.

Apple continues to negotiate with Union Pay. China has a monopoly on credit card use. So Apple continues to negotiate.

If anything, it will be the growth of Apple marketshare with the wealthy in China that is going to pressure Union Pay to allow Apple Pay.

And China's affluent class buys a third of all the luxury goods in the world.
    They only buy iPhones.
    It would be a loss of face to buy something signaling cheapness as an Android phone.

So as the iPhone is used by more and more of China's affluent, it will be a weight that Union Pay cannot ignore.
    well, Apple could sign a deal with Visa, or Master Card first to enable Apple Pay in China and put more pressure on Union Pay. As Apple has promised it doesn't own the shopping data, it should be a much easier pitch. We will see.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    MarketWatch is claiming, "When Apple sent software developers a test version of the new operating system in February, it said iOS 8.3 would support UnionPay, a development that received broad media attention."

I do not recall an official Apple announcement saying this. Am I mistaken or has MarketWatch fabricated an Apple announcement to push its story around the globe? And, are AppleInsider and other sites once again pushing fabrication as truth?
  • Reply 11 of 20
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Could be a matter of the right corrupt official not yet being adequately taken care of or maybe China will simply rip off Apple Pay wholesale and implement their own stolen technology version.

I suspect your 'maybe' is a 'given' ... :\
  • Reply 12 of 20
    xiao-zhixiao-zhi Posts: 112member

This is no big problems because we have several NFC payment and IM based payment options that run on iOS.

I think it will take time to get Union Pay, not because of the Union Pay clearing house but because of the member banks, some of which may not agree with terms proposed by Union Pay.

• Reply 13 of 20
    xiao-zhixiao-zhi Posts: 112member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

What is the regular merchant fee in China?  Do they even charge a fee to its citizens, or is it a matter of the Chinese government not wanting Apple (or any foreign company) to have that kind of monetary access to the Chinese people?

What really pi$$es me off about the Chinese government is their refusal to allow foreign companies access to its market, or make it hugely difficult to the point of folks giving up, or having to hand over IP in the name of "national security".  I thought the point of being in the WTO is adhering to a set of rules to allow equal access to each other's market?  China's arrogance and abuse of the WTO should have booted them out ages ago.  The WTO has shown zero cajones in dealing with China.  China knows it can get away with it knowing that the global economy wants their $30 microwave ovens.

Enough is enough.  Jettison China out of the WTO like a bad habit.

You seem to be suffering an episode of extreme anti-Chinese hatred based on your own lack of information.

I suggest you take some headache medicine and sleep it off. When you don't know the answer to something I suggest you seek more information before you press the red button that make your head explode into ten thousand pieces.

I can help:

Union Pay in a credit clearing house such as Visa and Master Card with hundreds of banks to deal with. 

Before roll-out of Apple Pay, Apple was primarily focused on Visa and MC, and has been negotiating with them for years.  They only started to negotiate with Union Pay last summer.  It will take time.

Meanwhile we Chinese have several NFC and IM based payment options but these are more like Pay Pal, where users will register their bank account directly to it rather than a credit card account, because, actually, many Chinese prefer to pay direct with electronic (or real) cash since the transaction fees are very small and no interest charges.

It is only an affluent minority of Chinese that regularly use Credit Cards, including Visa and Master Card (yes, we have that so you can calm down and not kick us out of the WTO, Rich Chinese paying the same ridiculous finance charges to the same American companies).

By the way, China is Apple's largest manufacturing base and it's second largest market, so I'll just guess Tim Cook would not lobby the WTO to kick China out. 

• Reply 14 of 20
    xiao-zhi wrote: »
    You seem to be suffering an episode of extreme anti-Chinese hatred based on your own lack of information.

I suggest you take some headache medicine and sleep it off. When you don't know the answer to something I suggest you seek more information before you press the red button that make your head explode into ten thousand pieces.

I can help:

Union Pay in a credit clearing house such as Visa and Master Card with hundreds of banks to deal with. 

Before roll-out of Apple Pay, Apple was primarily focused on Visa and MC, and has been negotiating with them for years.  They only started to negotiate with Union Pay last summer.  It will take time.

Meanwhile we Chinese have several NFC and IM based payment options but these are more like Pay Pal, where users will register their bank account directly to it rather than a credit card account, because, actually, many Chinese prefer to pay direct with electronic (or real) cash since the transaction fees are very small and no interest charges.

It is only an affluent minority of Chinese that regularly use Credit Cards, including Visa and Master Card (yes, we have that so you can calm down and not kick us out of the WTO, Rich Chinese paying the same ridiculous finance charges to the same American companies).

By the way, China is Apple's largest manufacturing base and it's second largest market, so I'll just guess Tim Cook would not lobby the WTO to kick China out. 

China absolutely should've been booted out of the WTO for their rampant IP theft, product dumping, closed markets, currency manipulation and more. It has nothing to do with being anti-Chinese. They compete unfairly at every level due to their own government's policies.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    xiao-zhi wrote: »

I can help:

And you sir suffer from two issues... The first is a lack of reading comprehension skills. Not one time in my post did I express any "anti-Chinese hatred". I specifically mentioned "The Chinese Government", not its people.

Second, you becoming defensive at my political criticism of the Chinese government's breaking of every WTO rule and trying to pass it off as some nonesense anti-Chinese sentiment just shows you are either ignorant, or want to keep the status-quo.

China should be booted out of the WTO for a multitude of reasons. China needs us as much as we need them, and the Chinese government needs to be taught a little lesson in humility to clean up its act. Corrupt government. It's people deserve better.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mubaili View Post

well, Apple could sign a deal with Visa, or Master Card first to enable Apple Pay in China and put more pressure on Union Pay.

Except all Visa and Mastercard accounts in China must be denominated in US dollars. The Government has given UnionPay a monopoly on domestic cards.

• Reply 17 of 20
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    konqerror wrote: »
    Except all Visa and Mastercard accounts in China must be denominated in US dollars. The Government has given UnionPay a monopoly on domestic cards.
    the monopoly will end around September this year, one of the concession China made when joining the WTO.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    mubaili wrote: »
    the monopoly will end around September this year, one of the concession China made when joining the WTO.

Source?