Microsoft updates Office 2016 for Mac Preview, intros new iPhone apps for Office 365

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    ... The iDevice version of Office has never allowed you to create or edit documents, only view documents made elsewhere. To create or edit you will need a 365 subscription.

This is only true if you don't pay for the iOS version of Office. Paying the license fee enables the editing functions.
  • Reply 22 of 26

Been trying to update the preview for two days.  Downloads fail repeatedly, but the wild thing is; halfway through the first download before it aborted the RAM used by the updater was at 16GB and climbing fast!  The second download maxed out at 6GB before declaring that the downloads weren't available.

• Reply 23 of 26
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Interesting info. I use MS Office, and I'm close to retiring. I tried out the Office Preview and it's ok. They moved some of the commands around so it slows me down. Can't say that I care for the ribbon. They added some nice features to Word and Excel. For some reasons I've got some issues trying to open docx files, whether I created them with the preview or previous to even loading the preview. I don't know what's with that.

I do wish Apple would build up the features of Numbers and Pages ... I'd like to switch.

I haven't tried the preview, but it appears you can't set up toolbars with exactly the tools you want anymore - you have to use the ribbon to get any tools across the top. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's a non-starter for me. The ribbon is a terrible interface.

So I'll stick to Office 2011 until it doesn't run anymore (I'd really like to be able to use Office 2004 on a Yosemite computer). Pages and Numbers are definitely not good enough for my needs, especially Numbers. There are some nice interface elements there, but the features and functions are sorely lacking.

• Reply 24 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Interesting info. I use MS Office, and I'm close to retiring. I tried out the Office Preview and it's ok. They moved some of the commands around so it slows me down. Can't say that I care for the ribbon. They added some nice features to Word and Excel. For some reasons I've got some issues trying to open docx files, whether I created them with the preview or previous to even loading the preview. I don't know what's with that.

I do wish Apple would build up the features of Numbers and Pages ... I'd like to switch.

I haven't tried the preview, but it appears you can't set up toolbars with exactly the tools you want anymore - you have to use the ribbon to get any tools across the top. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's a non-starter for me. The ribbon is a terrible interface.

I'm no fan of the ribbon interface either, and you are correct in that it seems you have to use the toolbars are they are presented. They may add back the customization at some point before rolling out the final version. My biggest issue with the ribbon is that one has to remember which sub-menu holds the tool you want... and the menu heads only give a vague clue where to go looking for what one wants. Most of all I miss the floating tools pallets.

• Reply 25 of 26
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacHiavelli92 View Post

Until 2008, the company I work for was a Windows/Office company. Today, all the staff have switched to OS X/iWork (and other non-MS software). That's over 10,000 people worldwide.

The UK government has indicated that it will switch all of its workers to open source.

The local medical centre runs a mix of Linux and OS X.

Personally, I only know a couple of people who still use Office. They are both retired.

Clearly, you don't know many people outside your company.

• Reply 26 of 26
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Unfortunately, saarek is right... there are situations where Excel is necessary.  It's a crying shame, though, that Excel STILL cannot track significant figures, and handle correct rounding of sig figs through calculations.  Even using scientific notation won't automatically reduce the sig figs when a low quality number is introduced into a calculation.  [I.e., 4.56 x 2.00 = 9.12 However, 4.56 x 2 = 9.]

Furthermore, a column of numbers is easier to read and immediately see standout data, than a column of scientific notation, but the scientific notation is required to correctly indicate 3 significant figures.

Example each of these numbers has three significant figures (which should be aligned on the decimal point):

versus:

4.91 x 100

2.80 x 100

5.57 x 10-1

2.61 x 101

3.04 x 102

3.84 x 10-3

Neither Microsoft Excel nor Apple Numbers can handle the significant figure issue.

[I.e., 4.56 x 2.00 = 9.12 However, 4.56 x 2 = 9.]

I just tried on a PC and got 9.12 both times. Is that a Mac only issue?