European Commission charges Google with multiple antitrust violations

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Google can enforce a minimum requirement for its software.

How? I can understand if Google licensed Android, and one of the conditions of the licensing terms was minimum hardware requirements, but since it's free to use any OEM can install it on the hardware of their choosing.
  • Reply 42 of 48
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    There's probably very few here that remember some EU investigations of Apple practices in Europe that are apparently still going on. The iTunes one was closed but terms that Apple requires of telcos that want to sell iPhones is still being looked into for possible unfair competition charges AFAIK. Another is Apple's music business and possible unfair agreements with content providers. A couple years back it was books and a settlement with the EU, unlike their choice to fight it in the US. The EU is MUCH more difficult for the US techs to deal with.

Gosh you found something negative about Apple ... what a shock!
  • Reply 43 of 48
    tbornottbornot Posts: 116member
    Microsoft was found to be a monopoly because they used the money from their business to PREVENT THE INTRIDUCTION OF SOFTWARE THAT WOULD HURT THEIR BUSINESS. IN THIS PARTICULAR CASE, THEY STATRED TO GIVE AWAY internet Explorer to prevent Netscape from writing a Windows UI that would allow Java to run as fast as their office Suite of programs. This is VERY different from Google.
  • Reply 44 of 48
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Far be it from me to be defending Google but if this is what the New World Order is going to be like then I’m against it. There’s a difference between fostering competition and manufacturing it artificially just to be “fair.” Google reached the position it’s in by being the best search engine ever invented. The rest, including Bing and Yahoo, have come and gone because they can’t hold a candle to Google’s algorithms. And if they can come after Google for this then they can come for Apple too.

Being the BEST?  I don't know about that.  I don't use them like I used to.  I've moved to DuckDuckGo.  Google Search does some things nice and Fancy, but I'm tired of all the ads!!!  It's also not the BEST every time.   For example I needed a Manual for piece of hardware at work that's about 14 years old.  It's Discontinued, the Company that makes it no longer makes that type of equipment.   It's part of a Safety system that's never worked since I've been here for 3 years.   I had to get some new sensors from another company and make them work with this old hardware.  Well trying to find a Manual on Google,  all it seems to come up with is the Manual on a site called Yumpu.com.   OK, I check it out, it's what I need, but I can't download it.  It's in a crappy Book layout on screen.  It really sucked to read.  I just wanted a PDF that I could print out.   Why does it have to be this hard?   Everything else Google was listing was random worthless crap!!!

I went to DuckDuckGo, and the first try, right there on top listing was a PDF copy of the Manual I could download!!!  I saved a copy and then Printed it out.  What a huge help that's been.  I have the new Sensors working with this old hardware.  Now I need to fix the other half of the system where Flashing Lights and alarm goes off when the systems sense a low or high reading.   Google was WORTHLESS, DuckDuckGo was far better!!!   DDG may not have the FLASH of Google, but it also doesn't have all the crap as Google or the Ads as Google.

DuckDuckGo is my default for searches on my Windows systems and iOS devices.  I'm not Anti-Google, but they're far from perfect.

• Reply 45 of 48
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    How? I can understand if Google licensed Android, and one of the conditions of the licensing terms was minimum hardware requirements, but since it's free to use any OEM can install it on the hardware of their choosing.
    If Googs can require Android to be licensed to use Google services, they can add the min hardware requirements as well. I'm not talking about open source android.
  • Reply 46 of 48
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    chelin wrote: »
    What is the marketshare of D2G? 0.01%

That's irrelevant. People choose Google voluntarily, even though there are alternatives. Translation: No monopoly.
  • Reply 47 of 48
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jungmark wrote: »
    If Googs can require Android to be licensed to use Google services, they can add the min hardware requirements as well. I'm not talking about open source android.

What's the difference? They make so that it works for both, partners, and others alike.

There was a rumor that Google was going to make a version of Android specifically for high end phones but it seems like that's dead in the water.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/16/6248561/google-android-silver-reportedly-on-hold
  • Reply 48 of 48
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    What's the difference? They make so that it works for both, partners, and others alike.

There was a rumor that Google was going to make a version of Android specifically for high end phones but it seems like that's dead in the water.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/16/6248561/google-android-silver-reportedly-on-hold

What's the difference? Google services.