Photos show unreleased red sport band for Apple Watch, folding UK charger

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Wait, so Apple can only do something in red if it's going to charity?

It is the only way they have been producing red colored products since Project RED was launched. To change it now is confusing to say the least, especially when it's with the most (artificially) expensive product they've ever sold. I personally think it sends the wrong message.

• Reply 22 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by matt45 View Post

the digital crown also seems off.. or is it my eyes?

No, I see that also. It looks bent

• Reply 23 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

It is the only way they have been producing red colored products since Project RED was launched. To change it now is confusing to say the least, especially when it's with the most (artificially) expensive product they've ever sold. I personally think it sends the wrong message.

I might be hair-splitting, but the Edition Watch seems to me to be blood red whereas this implementation appears to be a more classic (Red) red.

• Reply 24 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

I might be hair-splitting, but the Edition Watch seems to me to be blood red whereas this implementation appears to be a more classic (Red) red.

It's a subtle distinction at best. However, Apple could have done worse in marketing their $17,000 watch as donating a portion of the proceeds to RED in the process. 

• Reply 25 of 36
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

Yeah, it's not all the way into the watch's slot. Either not pushed in enough, or it's working its way free.

We might be on to something. I referred to a similar issue on another post at my try on at Apple Milton Keynes UK. The Apple store representative had a real problem getting the strap back into position. The mechanism just would not click to lock the strap into position. In the end we did it. I hoped this was just a one off but now it appear others are having the same problem. 

• Reply 26 of 36
    skayskay Posts: 3member
    The lower band is backwards in the watch. You can see the size label.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    I used one of the display watches in the store. I know that is not real world, but damn it was pretty nice. Silky smooth and a very clean experience. It seems ready for primetime. Not to mention most if any issues would usually be fixed by an update around public release anyway. Not like the celebs are going to bitching about their free watch on twitter. ;)

I'm sure Apple is selective about who gets a prerelease watch as well.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    mac_128 wrote: »

Why is it the wrong message?
  • Reply 29 of 36
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    rogifan wrote: »
    He's got it on inside out.

"He's wearing it wrong!"
  • Reply 30 of 36
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    If it is a product RED offering, It sends kind of conflicting message with the Edition Red Modern Buckle (and coordinating digital crown button). Seems like the color red would be uniform across all products, as it otherwise is. It kind of makes that Edition watch seem hypocritical -- it's the most expensive thing Apple has ever sold, yet it uses the signature RED charity color, but gives none of the proceeds to it.

you really are good at those mental gymnastics. amazing ability. bravo, sir.

i assume you are equally concerned by all the other uses of the color red in the product world...
  • Reply 31 of 36
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    I think it's interesting that some of the watches handed out are one-of-a-kind models. Apple definitely wants to encourage people to make theirs unique. It does make me wonder why the default sport band options are so lacklustre though. Light blue, pink and the most horrid shade of green I think I've ever seen; hand me a sick bag.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    I know it's nothing to do with the watch. But Will Carling is no more a "British Cyclist" than anyone else in the UK that rides a bike. He's an ex England rugby player and captain... That's all
  • Reply 33 of 36
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

I think it's interesting that some of the watches handed out are one-of-a-kind models. Apple definitely wants to encourage people to make theirs unique. It does make me wonder why the default sport band options are so lacklustre though. Light blue, pink and the most horrid shade of green I think I've ever seen; hand me a sick bag.

I see yellow, red and ORANGE *squeeeeeeeeeee!*

• Reply 34 of 36
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    dunks wrote: »
    I think it's interesting that some of the watches handed out are one-of-a-kind models. Apple definitely wants to encourage people to make theirs unique.
    Unfortunately, the only way to do that is with the band. Otherwise the watch itself is identical to everyone else's unless you're one of the few who can spend 50x more than everybody else to get a gold one. Apple has stepped off into the world of fashion, and as such, I would totally expect that the virtual rainbow of sport band colors will find their way into the marketplace, with new colors being released every season. It won't be any different than the multi-colored/patterned iMacs. Likewise for the other bands. These are just the few they've been able to manufacture so far. The problem with positioning the ?Watch in competition with the traditional wristwatch, is that they have to address the fashion and uniqueness aspect of the thing. People don't like to wear the same thing as anybody else, particularly at the same time, and the same goes for watches -- what people wear goes to the expression of who they are and what they're about. Uniformity is usually the last thing most people want in their fashions. And the ?Watch can really only express that in two ways -- the band, and simply wearing Apple in the first place. And of course gold which proclaims your elite status. But once enough people are wearing Apple, then the bands will the only real way most of us will be able to personalize our watches and set ourselves apart from everyone else.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

I wonder what prompted the folding plug design.  Folding plugs have been around for years but never really caught on as they're usually so fiddly.

Brings to mind the plug redesign that made news for winning a design award a few years back, shame Apple didn't buy into that, since to my knowledge it's never been released:

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/foldable-plug-wins-design-of-the-year-award-glorious-british-plug-gets-even-better/

• Reply 36 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Unfortunately, the only way to do that is with the band. Otherwise the watch itself is identical to everyone else's unless you're one of the few who can spend 50x more than everybody else to get a gold one. Apple has stepped off into the world of fashion, and as such, I would totally expect that the virtual rainbow of sport band colors will find their way into the marketplace, with new colors being released every season. It won't be any different than the multi-colored/patterned iMacs. Likewise for the other bands. These are just the few they've been able to manufacture so far. The problem with positioning the ?Watch in competition with the traditional wristwatch, is that they have to address the fashion and uniqueness aspect of the thing. People don't like to wear the same thing as anybody else, particularly at the same time, and the same goes for watches -- what people wear goes to the expression of who they are and what they're about. Uniformity is usually the last thing most people want in their fashions. And the ?Watch can really only express that in two ways -- the band, and simply wearing Apple in the first place. And of course gold which proclaims your elite status. But once enough people are wearing Apple, then the bands will the only real way most of us will be able to personalize our watches and set ourselves apart from everyone else.

And everybody's metallic silver BMW looks the same. Oh dear, will the imaginary future problems never end for Apple's Watch?

By then, of course, they'll have the best selling smartwatch on the planet, which is exactly the prize they are after. Nothing prevents the fashion-conscious person from owning more than one watch (say, to match an outfit), but the smartwatch utility and integration into the iPhone will make the Apple Watch the watch that these people will wear daily, because the value of a smartwatch comes from its functional capabilities, all the things that the owner will miss when they slap on a traditional, ornamental mechanical watch.