Initial Apple Watch production likely build-to-order as Apple gauges demand for different models, an

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,178member
    mstone wrote: »
    I was in Best Buy this weekend to get a headphone adapter and I walked by the self serve watch area. What a disaster. There were watches all over the place in piles. Some on the table, some on the back of the display area. Every shape color and configuration you could imagine but they all looked like cheap junk. Absolutely no comparison to Apple Store where two or three attendants were continuously cleaning the display cases.

Besides the fact it was Best Buy who have questionable in-store marketing chops anyway IMO, most of them probably were "junk" for the most part. I wouldn't expect the ideal experience from any of the 1st gen wearables tho Apple is most assuredly closer than anyone else. Overall it's still a market searching for it's identity, a rationale for "I gotta have it because...".
  • Reply 42 of 52

I remember when my iPhone 4S status changed to "Preparing for shipment" on the 12th and I received it (after it zig-zagged across the world) on the 17th. I'm in Canada.

• Reply 43 of 52
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,178member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Android Wear got a big update today but I see they're still trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

CDC0QiyUsAAiguE.png
    Thanks for the prompt. I hadn't even looked at what was new in the update but there's some pretty nice and probable useful additions depending on what you're using it for at the moment.

One that stood out was the option to keep the screen on rather than auto-off when you drop your wrist. Turning off color keeps it from impacting battery life.

Another is a wrist-flick to scroll to the next app and wifi support so there's no necessity to have your phone with you.

BTW, Google says there are 7 Android-wear watches, with most being rectangular. I would have assumed there were quite a few more than just 7 at this point.

http://www.android.com/wear/#chooseyourwatch
  • Reply 44 of 52
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Just sell the watch and bands seperatly! 90% of the inventory issues will be a moot point then .
    Tye straos are the culprit... And they can be shipped around and managed much easier !
  • Reply 45 of 52
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Yes I recall that too. I actually wrote "Apple is essentially a build to order company", based on the revelation a few years ago that due to Tim Cook's shrewd manipulation of the supply chain that Apple turned over their entire inventory every 5 days -- and that was 3 years ago, so who knows what it is today. While not literally BTO, they seem to be essentially analyzing customer demand to predict what configuration they should build during the next 5 day window (assuming it's still that long). But like BTO, that puts them in the unique position of not over building where there is no demand, yet they aren't sitting around waiting for a custom order. It's pretty amazing they can do that.

Considering the massive complexity of the watch supply chain, a true BTO, is very very unlikely (and would be untenable for most of their suppliers, which have their own production delayts and QA issue to deal with). They will adjust production output for each model, but I wouldn't call that part BTO.

They do have sales projections, even for this product, it is not a total shot in the dark. In this case, the number of 38mm and 42mm cases of each metal finish they think they need available for the first week, then first 2-3 month of launch is well factored into their production schedule. They're setup-up to deliver those for sure since they know they're going to sell them pretty quick. The fact this is a new product makes those projections more likely to be off than usual off course.

So, cases have been produced in substantial quantity for launch...

But, probably not the bands (except maybe black sport ones)

If Apple delivered the case without the band, delays would be much smaller; there would probably be no early pre-orders with delivery beyond may.

But, since Apple delivers watches with a specific band. It is obvious that this part is the one that is done on demand (at least the assembly is on demand, they just adjust production level of the various bands to meet overall demand).

Once production is well matched to the market, I'd expect delays to fall quickly unless demand is so large that the components for assembly cannot be produced faster without a substantial investment in machinery or labor. Then, the watch could have constrained supply all the way to the end of the year.

• Reply 46 of 52
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Thanks for the prompt. I hadn't even looked at what was new in the update but there's some pretty nice and probable useful additions depending on what you're using it for at the moment.

That may well be, but they really don't have a good implementation on a round display. If they have to create lists, they should be constrained to middle portion of the watch. And text should not spill off the display for any reason whatsoever. When Apple does the round watch for fashion reasons, they will blow this implementation out of the water.

It's hard to believe anyone would point to this round watch Android software as the reason Apple will never do one. Thats' like saying the software on the Galaxy Note 3, is proof Apple will never make a 5.5" display smartphone.

• Reply 47 of 52
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

It's the "build to order" part that is being perhaps over-simplified. It's unlikely Apple is getting your order then building your watch. They are probably approaching this more like JIT assembly. The watches and bands are mated last so that the retail product mix can be adjusted to demand, but that mix isn't going to be predictable until the preorders start coming in. Adjustments to the mix can be made fairly quickly, but not instantaneously. My conclusion is some of those shipping dates are probably conservative.

I can agree with this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

That may well be, but they really don't have a good implementation on a round display. If they have to create lists, they should be constrained to middle portion of the watch. And text should not spill off the display for any reason whatsoever. When Apple does the round watch for fashion reasons, they will blow this implementation out of the water.

It's hard to believe anyone would point to this round watch Android software as the reason Apple will never do one. Thats' like saying the software on the Galaxy Note 3, is proof Apple will never make a 5.5" display smartphone.

Personally, I would really like a round Apple watch.  It could be the very height of fashion.  However, I recognize the significant technological hurdles that would introduce for iOS and apps in particular.  If anyone can overcome these hurdles, it would be Apple.  So I wouldn't come right out and say it will never happen.

Thompson

• Reply 48 of 52

Well I was charged, and it currently says preparing for shipment. So we shall see where it ships from.

• Reply 49 of 52
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thompr View Post

I can agree with this.

Personally, I would really like a round Apple watch.  It could be the very height of fashion.  However, I recognize the significant technological hurdles that would introduce for iOS and apps in particular.  If anyone can overcome these hurdles, it would be Apple.  So I wouldn't come right out and say it will never happen.

Once I realized that the 38mm Apple display easily fits inside a 42mm round watch, the technological hurtles are virtually eliminated. Developers who only want to develop for a rectangular display may do so, with the rectangular display for an app appearing letterboxed in the center rectangular portion of the circle. Those who want to offer two shapes for their apps can take advantage of the extra space around the "text box". Very similar to the iPhone 3.5" to 4" display transition. But Apple has some refining to do in the interim, and I suspect once everyone starts using the watch on a broad scale, there will be various adjustments to the OS which will make adapting it to a round display easier.

• Reply 50 of 52
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

I can agree with this.

Thompson

I'm not sure how it is "the height of fashion"... Why?  Round is no more fashionable, than rectangle,... Though obviously some may have their own preference (since its fashion, everyone has their own preference). In the 1920s to 1930s, rectangular watches were extremely plentiful (if not the majority). That certainly a very fashionable era.

The main reason watches came out round initially is because that's what the pocket watch makers were used to, were set up to deliver and also it was familiar to pocket watch buyers. There's nothing inherently more fashionable in any way about a round watch (there's more familiarity maybe, since they've been more popular for the last little while, that's it).

Apple may eventually do round, but not any time soon, and certainly not because it is "more fashionable".

• Reply 51 of 52
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    38 models is a huge costly inventory to produce and store
    It sounds logical. As nobody can predict what's going to sell in a new category. Most likely iorders will be filled faster than planned if this is the case