First look: Adobe Lightroom CC with HDR and panoramic photo merging, facial recognition, more

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
  • Reply 22 of 61
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post

What about the non-subscription Lightroom 6?

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom.html

Scroll all the way to the bottom right-hand corner and click the Lightroom 6 "Buy Now" button.

For the $79 upgrade (download only) click the "Edit" link, then change from the "Full" version to "Upgrade" and pick whichever previous version of Lightroom you currently own.

• Reply 23 of 61
    Yeah, hostageware works great if you can stop paying and still have access to your old files. Many other apps can open .psd files. But try that with Illustrator. Once you stop paying, Adobe holds all of your files hostage because there are no other apps than can open CC .ai files. None. Yes, you can open the embedded .pdf, but you lose all access to layers and the whatever text is in the file gets corrupted. All of you blithely renting CC apps are whistling past the graveyard. Adobe has you by the short hairs.
  • Reply 24 of 61
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It doesn't bother me at all. I like how we get updates all the time not once a year like before. Plus we get the entire Adobe suite which was really expensive before. Also you can install it on two machines even if one is Windows and the other Mac. Personally I have it on two Macs though.

I look at it just like any other reoccurring bill of which I have many. If I quit paying my mortgage, I don't get to live in the house any longer.

Unless you (gasp!) finish paying for your house (by not choosing something beyond your means and watching your spending), and it's totally functional for your needs, with maybe the occasional renovation. 

I'm serious about what I do, but not a photo pro and can do every thing I want in my old PS 7 and CS1 versions - having come from a darkroom background these are still like Arthur C. Clarke's definition of "magic" to me after all the years since they came out.  And I play around with other inexpensive tools like Pixelmator and PixlR for new quick and dirty fun stuff and tools. 

(And I have spent some time in CS5 and 6 and - admittedly without taking the time to climb their learning curves - wasn't blown away.)

So my friends who enjoy my work have no idea I'm really a thrifty fogie somehow managing to get by on "ancient software" - and think I'm a high tech photography genius. 

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

Photoshop was never that expensive, and Lightroom even less. The price you have is for an entire suite of Adobe products, something that now costs you $50/month or $600/year, so after less that 2.5years you're in the black owning the software. Major updates (every 18-24 months) were in the $600 range for a full suite, and generally it was wise to do such upgrades only every second round. So maintaining owned software was $600/36 months for a full product suite, i.e. a third of the cost of renting, and Adobe was forced to offer useful new features if people were to spend that sort of money.

Now people have to pay just not to lose access to their work and data, and most new features are just to tighten the cloud integration (i.e. make the chains of slavery stronger)

Lightroom could be bought for a couple hundred bucks and upgrades were less than current accumulated rental costs, too.

Both Adobe and MS were driven to their new models by the truth that their bread and butter tools had reached a state where they could do so much of most most people would ever need or want to do with images, documents and spreadsheets - and even flashy new features (with admitted utility for a small minority) weren't enough to drive them to upgrade any longer. 

So they knocked off the high entry cost for upgrading with a model that's seductively easier to get into but extracts far more cash from users over time than would have been the case if they'd kept the older model. 

I.e., this changeover was done for those company's bottom lines far more than for general users' utility.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

Freedom is to save and buy, partial freedom is to take a loan and pay it off.

Slavery is being blackmailed and being put in a hostage situation such as to extract eternal recurring payments regardless of service quality or utility gained.

Adobe and all the other "in the cloud subscription" services are slavery, holding your work and data hostage, with your monthly budget at the whim of the provider, your data accessible without your consent, etc.

If people aren't realizing what they are giving up by walking into this trap, they deserve to be slaves.

Not re-quoting the guy who thought he'd destroyed you with innuendo, "rentware" is the death of a thousand cuts in terms of people's monthly budgets, standards of living and ability to save for retirement. 

For decades most people got by with a phone, electricity and gas/oil bill as our monthly utilities. 

Today, add your Creative Cloud, Office 365, streaming music service, iTunes Match, cloud storage, internet service, mobile service, cable (or its alternatives as a group, Netflix, Hulu+, HBO Now, etc., etc.), maybe home security, anti-malware, bank account charges, credit card interest (and many more not immediately in my head), and these can easily add up to more than most people lived on altogether not that long ago.

And for the average person toss in car leasing and other schemes that are low on the front end and high on the forever side.

So not all software here, but I'll extend the "rentware" metaphor to "trapware," and do my best to opt out of as many of these small and large money sinkholes as I can even though I'm quite comfy, thanks (and partly why I am).

• Reply 25 of 61
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Unless you (gasp!) finish paying for your house (by not choosing something beyond your means and watching your spending), and it's totally functional for your needs, with maybe the occasional renovation. 

You never really "own" your house.  There's a little thing called "property taxes" that you still have to pay.  My house is paid in full, yet I still get that bill.  Property taxes (especially where I live in SF) is practically a never-ending mortgage payment for many.

So rent or own?  You're still paying to someone.

• Reply 26 of 61
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

That was probably a poor analogy on my part. I do agree owning a home is better than monthly payments.

CC is just another monthly bill like utilities, phone, etc. In my case I have no alternative to CC because that is what we use for business and I collaborate with other users around the world since I work for a global company with several offices. We all have the latest tools so we can share files.

Quote:

Yeah, hostageware works great if you can stop paying and still have access to your old files. Many other apps can open .psd files. But try that with Illustrator. Once you stop paying, Adobe holds all of your files hostage because there are no other apps than can open CC .ai files.

Tip:

If you have an older copy of inDesign, you can place the newer .ai file and then export a pdf which can be opened in an older version of Illustrator. There can be issues like fonts or advanced features, but usually you can get at the editable content.

• Reply 27 of 61
    Quote:

Tip:

If you have an older copy of inDesign, you can place the newer .ai file and then export a pdf which can be opened in an older version of Illustrator. There can be issues like fonts or advanced features, but usually you can get at the editable content.

I assume you meant to type Illustrator, not InDesign. But my original point stands: Once you stop paying for Illustrator CC Adobe effectively holds all of your files hostage. That "editable content" you mention is missing a number of vital features, like editable type, just to name one. And if you believe that Adobe would never, ever create a version of Photoshop CC that contains proprietary code that effective renders its files off-limits to 3rd party software, well, you have more faith in them than I do. The whole CC scheme, as someone else here mentioned, is entirely for the benefit of Adobe's bottom line. And they will do whatever it takes, including holding all of your work hostage, to keep that money rolling in. I will never willingly submit to their ransom.

• Reply 28 of 61
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    sflocal wrote: »
    So while I think MSOffice for someone's house is fine to stay old, for business purposes, most needs to stay current.  It's a pain in the ass dealing with so many outdated versions of software, yet people complain as to why certain things don't work.  For better or for worse, it's a necessary beast.

depends what you mean by old. my client is a household name, and it's using Office 2007 -- which has support of the the XML-based office docs. Nobody here has problems creating word, excel, or powerpoint docs, which we routinely swap around the office. the big software vendors want you to believe you need the latest versions for the latest features, but for the majority of users that isnt the case.

while i cant speak to your needs, in my case that has been likewise true for imaging software. theres not much in PS that requires me to have the latest and greatest. the addition of Layers was a biggie, but that was like 18 years ago. i havent had any problems w/ my lenses in LR. built-in HDR processing is nice tho, so ill consider upgrading now -- 3 years later. i find 3 years is a good number, the software is new enough to have features i like, and old enough to have been paid for some time ago.
  • Reply 29 of 61
    Even if LR could be had for for $200... that's still a couple years, and most folks will rinse-and-repeat and buy the upgrade at whatever the cost and continue the cycle.  So whether one "rents", or continues to upgrade ever couple years (or less), one is still sucked-in.

your numbers are wrong. LR 6 is $150 new, or $80 as an upgrade. and if you upgrade every 3 years, it's a helluva savings. my three-year-old copy of LR 4 works perfectly with my equipment.
  • Reply 30 of 61
    Quote:

I assume you meant to type Illustrator, not InDesign. 

Nope inDesign.

1. Place new CC .AI file (Cmd+D) into your old inDesign page

2. Export PDF (Cmd+E)

3. Open PDF in your old illustrator (CS 4-6)

4. Optional, save as old .AI file 

I've stayed up to date with the latest Adobe apps since Illustrator 1a. I always updated as soon as I received a file that needed a newer version, which was all the time because I share a lot with the other offices and third party designers. 

Perfectly understandable if you want to stay on an older version for years, as long as it does the job for you.

• Reply 31 of 61

You never really "own" your house.  There's a little thing called "property taxes" that you still have to pay.  My house is paid in full, yet I still get that bill.  Property taxes (especially where I live in SF) is practically a never-ending mortgage payment for many.

So rent or own?  You're still paying to someone.

uhh, no. paying property taxes is paying property taxes. its not paying a loan payment on a property owned by the bank that lets you stay in it. youre trying to apply some serious mental gynamstics to keep your argument alive, but its faulty.
  • Reply 32 of 61
    Quote:

And if you believe that Adobe would never, ever create a version of Photoshop CC that contains proprietary code that effective renders its files off-limits to 3rd party software, well, you have more faith in them than I do. 

Tip:

If you have an older copy of inDesign (or Quark 7+) you can place the layered CC PSD file (Cmd+D) then click the 'Show import options' checkbox. Then you can select only the first layer to display. Save as PDF (highest quality) then open it in your old Photoshop. Repeat for each layer and reassemble your PSD file with all of its layers. The thing you'll want to do first is draw a rectangle on the edges of the page because you will need that for realignment of the layers. Some limitation such as filters will be flattened.

• Reply 33 of 61
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

uhh, no. paying property taxes is paying property taxes. its not paying a loan payment on a property owned by the bank that lets you stay in it. youre trying to apply some serious mental gynamstics to keep your argument alive, but its faulty.

I wouldn't discount the analogy so quickly.

There is a lot of infrastructure maintenance that is paid for by Property Taxes. Roads, Bridges, Police, Fire, etc.

There is a lot of infrastructure in the modern world that we expect Photoshop to work with. Adobe Camera RAW (ACR) is a software component that is integral to both Photoshop & Lightroom (and the rest of Adobe's lineup). We all expect it to be able to process RAW files from new cameras, right? That's an ongoing expense Adobe has to pay developers for. All the web standards-compliant features that are built-in need to evolve with the standards, which are constantly changing. Things aren't as simple as they used to be. Even standing firm with an old version of PS, you will need SOME bit of support from Adobe over time to keep you investment from deteriorating.

However, if none of this stuff means anything to you, there is always Pixelmator.

• Reply 34 of 61
    Quote:

Tip:

If you have an older copy of inDesign (or Quark 7+) you can place the layered CC PSD file (Cmd+D) then click the 'Show import options' checkbox. Then you can select only the first layer to display. Save as PDF (highest quality) then open it in your old Photoshop. Repeat for each layer and reassemble your PSD file with all of its layers. The thing you'll want to do first is draw a rectangle on the edges of the page because you will need that for realignment of the layers. Some limitation such as filters will be flattened.

Thanks for the tip, mstone. But I'm not likely going to do all that with the more than 10,000 illustrator files that now reside in my archives. Instead, I'm holding out hope that Affinity Designer will soon allow me to replace Illustrator, just as their Photo app looks like it will nicely replace Photoshop. Adobe is literally going to have to hold a gun to my head before I turn over access to my files to them. I'll keep upgrading Lightroom as long as it's available in stand-alone format. But it confounds me to see how many people seem perfectly willing to trust Adobe not to screw them.

• Reply 35 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

That started with my poor analogy, sorry.

But there is a certain logical comparison to renting a property. One thing I think is a great advantage of the CC monthly bill program is it allows up and coming graphic designers to get started without the outlay of several hundred dollars, if not thousands, depending on whether or not they wanted to work in Aftereffects, 3D or other high end business applications. In the old days you had to purchase the suite outright.

Similarly an ad agency might land a large contract and need to scale up quickly with a dozen or so freelance designers but only for a limited time. They can possible put a full copy on all those desks and then cancel the month to month bill when the project is done.

• Reply 36 of 61
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:

Thanks for the tip, mstone. But I'm not likely going to do all that with the more than 10,000 illustrator files that now reside in my archives. Instead, I'm holding out hope that Affinity Designer will soon allow me to replace Illustrator, just as their Photo app looks like it will nicely replace Photoshop. Adobe is literally going to have to hold a gun to my head before I turn over access to my files to them. I'll keep upgrading Lightroom as long as it's available in stand-alone format. But it confounds me to see how many people seem perfectly willing to trust Adobe not to screw them.

It confounds me how many people are perfectly willing to believe that $20/mo or whatever a single app goes for is 'getting screwed'

Anyone with a library of 10k Illustrator files he needs access to is clearly making some money with Illustrator. If it's worth your time to screw around transitioning that whole library to some other format, that's your business.

In my business, I prefer to make money and not sweat the corporate politics.

• Reply 37 of 61
    Quote:

Thanks for the tip, mstone. But I'm not likely going to do all that with the more than 10,000 illustrator files that now reside in my archives.

If you have 10K files I would assume you are a professional. It is usually the pros that find the CC program acceptable. Compatibility with other users is often necessary in a professional environment. The other thing that is appealing to me is it makes pirating the apps much more difficult. I was always annoyed that other designers could compete with us using bootleg copies. Gave them an unfair advantage.

• Reply 38 of 61

Yes, I've been a technical Illustrator for 28 years now, first using Aldus FreeHand (which Adobe bought and killed) before switching to Illustrator. The $20/mo. doesn't trouble me in the least. It's the fact that if I stop paying the $20/mo., I lose access to all of my files. I have clients who often want me to reuse older illustrations for new work. If Adobe can keep me from using those files, I'm screwed. It's not corporate politics. It's criminal extortion, or should be.

• Reply 39 of 61
    Quote:

Yes, I've been a technical Illustrator for 28 years now, first using Aldus FreeHand (which Adobe bought and killed) before switching to Illustrator. The $20/mo. doesn't trouble me in the least. It's the fact that if I stop paying the $20/mo., I lose access to all of my files. I have clients who often want me to reuse older illustrations for new work. If Adobe can keep me from using those files, I'm screwed. It's not corporate politics. It's criminal extortion, or should be.

If you retire and then someone asks you to do a job based on an old work, just charge them to reestablish your month to month account. Just add the $50 into the job cost and then cancel when complete. You are not screwed. You can alway use the CC version and when you save the file save as an older Illustrator version for safe keeping. 

• Reply 40 of 61
    Quote:

If you retire and then someone asks you to do a job based on an old work, just charge them to reestablish your month to month account. Just add the $50 into the job cost and then cancel when complete. You are not screwed.

Sure. Easy. Just like letting some bruiser named Guido come into my office and telling me that he'd just HATE to see something happen to my all of my files. ;-P

Thanks, but I'm not going down that rabbit hole with a corporation with the kind of ethics that Adobe has. I'll keep using CS5 until it no longer works with the latest Mac OS. Then, I sure hope I can retire.