Apple Watch Sport's Ion-X glass reportedly endures scratch test in new video

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post

Honestly, scratch test is so boring. Sandpapers are usually made with aluminium oxide which has a hardness of 9 on the Mohs scale. Therefore, since the surface against which the sandpaper is applied is a modified glass (around 7 on Mohs scale), and not sapphire, it will obviously be scratched.

Just curious: Is aluminum oxide used for woodworkers "sandpaper" as well? I think when most people think of sandpaper it's sanding wood that comes to mind (though from the photos he used harder grades as that black paper is probably carborundum). 

• Reply 42 of 46

Garnet is frequently used for woodwork, but aluminium oxide is the most common, found in the widest category/variety of grits, and can be used on wood and metal as well. In the video, he mentions using sandpaper which abrading material is aluminium oxide.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post

Honestly, scratch test is so boring. Sandpapers are usually made with aluminium oxide which has a hardness of 9 on the Mohs scale. Therefore, since the surface against which the sandpaper is applied is a modified glass (around 7 on Mohs scale), and not sapphire, it will obviously be scratched.

Just curious: Is aluminum oxide used for woodworkers "sandpaper" as well? I think when most people think of sandpaper it's sanding wood that comes to mind (though from the photos he used harder grades as that black paper is probably carborundum). 

• Reply 43 of 46
    Everyone will rush out and buy a secondary glass protector anyway.

That way,with a bad scratch means you buy another protector. Sapphire cannot even do that.
  • Reply 44 of 46
    pistispistis Posts: 247member
    Everyone will rush out and buy a secondary glass protector anyway.

That way,with a bad scratch means you buy another protector. Sapphire cannot even do that.

I'm sure you are using "everyone" to really mean "some folks", I won't be one of them. Those people are the anal retentive perfectionists. I don't fall for the "parking my brand new car away from other cars" simply because it's going to get dents in it anyway. What is the point in covering the glass. I've always thought it's a bit dumb. Following that reasoning leave it in the box at home that way it won't ever get a scratch on it. It's like believing hey I don't want to risk taking my boat out of the harbor in case it gets wet. I'm thinking too many people worry about appearances. It's an ego thing. Let it go , live a little dude! There are far more important things to stress over! Like Steve jobs said about bill gates , I'm paraphrasing " that guy should smoke some weed and chill out, expand his consciousness" too many Apple fans are way too much into perfection, it doesn't exist here!
  • Reply 45 of 46
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

Looks like it failed the drop test 

The Stainless Steel Sapphire Crystal survives the same test just fine:

Reports of Ceramic backs scratching too.

So that settles that ... Sapphire is much better crystal, less likely to scratch and break. Definitely worth the extra money.