Apple celebrates Earth Day with green retail store logos, App Store promos

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2015
Apple Stores across the globe have once again turned their leaves green in celebration of Earth Day, while a special iTunes Store section highlights environmentally-friendly apps.

Apple's Regent Street store in London, via The Independent

The green leaf look has become a staple at Apple Stores as the company celebrates the spring day dedicated to environmental awareness. It is one of two times each year that Apple modifies its logo in support of a cause, joining World AIDS Day when the logo goes red.

In addition, employees switch to from blue to green uniform shirts and nametags.

Spotted on my way to #SMF15, Apple adds a green leaf for #EarthDay. Success is in the details. #shoppermarketing pic.twitter.com/PPeqSpuB5y

-- Kristopher Matheson (@GoodsnCommerce)

All dressed up for Earthday #earthday

A photo posted by divadawg9234 (@divadawg9234) on Apr 22, 2015 at 9:33am PDT

This year, Apple has also added a new Earth Day section to the iTunes Store. It highlights apps, books, and movies focused on environmental awareness and green living.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    That's a near perfect description of Apple's global activism. They go green for Earth Day and red for AIDS Day, while eagerly selling their products in countries that execute homosexuals, don't let woman drive cars, and treat harshly any conversion away from Islam.

Sorry, but I have more respect for businesses that stay away from issues altogether. It simplifies doing business with them to just an exchange of money for products.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

That's a near perfect description of Apple's global activism. They go green for Earth Day and red for AIDS Day, while eagerly selling their products in countries that execute homosexuals, don't let woman drive cars, and treat harshly any conversion away from Islam.

Sorry, but I have more respect for businesses that stay away from issues altogether. It simplifies doing business with them to just an exchange of money for products.

They also sell in Alabama.

Want to start a protest supporting women, gays, and other misrepresented minorities?  I mean since you seem so concerned about them.

• Reply 3 of 4
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

If Apple only did business in Utopia then it wouldn't do business.

• Reply 4 of 4
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    crowley wrote: »

If Apple only did business in Utopia then it wouldn't do business.

Exactly. At least they try to do the right thing in most cases, more than can be said for any other major corporation (or country) I can think of.