Google announces 'Project Fi' mobile phone network for Nexus 6 owners

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2015
Owners of Google's Android flagship Nexus 6 smartphone now have a new option for wireless service, as the company officially announced its long-awaited mobile service, dubbed Project Fi, on Wednesday.

Project Fi subscribers will pay a base fee of $20 per month, which includes unlimited domestic voice calling and SMS, along with the ability to tether other devices to their handset via Wi-Fi. Data will cost $10 per gigabyte per month, and the company will adopt a "pay for what you use" data billing policy.

For instance, customers who sign up for 3 gigabytes of data each month --?which would cost $30 --?but use just 1.4 gigabytes would receive a rebate of $16, the company said. Project Fi subscribers can choose data plans up to 10 gigabytes per month in 1-gigabyte increments.

Perhaps most interestingly, international data roaming will be included at no extra charge in more than 120 countries, though it will be limited to 3G speeds. International calling will cost just 20 cents per minute, and international SMS will be free.

Project Fi will be limited to consumers in the U.S. at launch, and Google says that their handset will automatically switch between Wi-Fi, Sprint, and T-Mobile, depending on which service offers the strongest signal in a particular location. A Nexus 6 is required, as Google says it is the only handset with the requisite combination of hardware and software.

Interested consumers can sign up for an early access invitation now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 85
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Not that great.

I pay $50 a month for T-mobile unlimited 4G-LTE data

I pay TMo a little less than that (three lines) but I don't consider it unlimited LTE data.
    https://support.t-mobile.com/message/395236

As far as Google's plan don't you think the roaming will be appealing to travelers?
  • Reply 2 of 85

Wow, if it's all as promised, I've got to say that that's pretty nice. A family of four will pay $80, plus, say another $50 or so for data (for example, our family of four uses almost never uses more than 4GB - 5GB a month, if that). That's substantially less than what ATT charges, esp. if a couple of phones in the family plan are current models.

The international features on top of that are an excellent saving too.

I don't care if it means following Google's lead in this instance, but Apple should really do something similar and disrupt carriers.

• Reply 3 of 85
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Not that great.

Yeah, T-mobile is still beating Fi on the numbers, but it will be interesting to see how it shakes out using the best signals from two major networks. T-mobile coverage is not great between cities, but has been improving significantly every year. One of their support techs told me that by the end of the year, all of their old 2G towers would be converted to 4G LTE.

I was on the TMob $50/month plan too, but the minutes limit was getting me. [EDIT] I got my plan mixed up. The old $30/month minutes limit was cramping my style. The $50/month plan was cramping my style with the throttling[/EDIT] Now my oldest son and I are on the $100/month plan with unlimited everything, and at full 4G LTE speeds with no throttling. That one's going to be tough to beat. It was also nice to show up in Cairo and be almost instantly connected and talking internationally for only $0.20 minute.

• Reply 4 of 85
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    This can't go too far unless Google adds other phones including iPhone to work on their Project experiment wireless service. Otherwise it is bound to fail like Project Glass.
  • Reply 5 of 85
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Who the hell came up with that name?!
  • Reply 6 of 85
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    That's good for all 1000 of the nexus 6 users. I kid. Still, I'm a little weary about having Google "monitor" my voice, vid, and SMS chats.
  • Reply 7 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow, if it's all as promised, I've got to say that that's pretty nice. A family of four will pay $80, plus, say another $50 or so for data (for example, our family of four uses almost never uses more than 4GB - 5GB a month, if that). That's substantially less than what ATT charges, esp. if a couple of phones in the family plan are current models.

I don't care if it means following Google's lead in this instance, but Apple should really do something similar and disrupt carriers.

I don't know, I think Apple would lose a lot of time on that, and I'd rather they stay focused on software issues and building up the cloud infrastructure.

• Reply 8 of 85
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I am sure single or family with the limited Data usage will like Google's wireless offer. For single line user with zero to limited Data usage, it is no brainier but for family of say 4 with some Data need, it has to be comparable with plans like T-mobile's $100 for 4 lines text,talk,Data. Google plan for family of 4 equals $20 x 4 = $80 than anything over 2GB usage puts it over T-mobile plan. One good part of Google is un-used Data be credited. So, this is not easy decision but worth for single user or family who want unlimited talk/text but not able to pay higher cost. Moreover, Google just needs to make sure to support iphone and other phones and not just Nexus.

• Reply 9 of 85
    esoomesoom Posts: 155member
    It'll be interesting to see how it handles the handoff between carriers and WiFi, I've used Google Voice for a long time, and the experience isn't great, adding the handoffs to it would make it a pretty miserable experience.

MVNO customers are pretty price sensitive, I don't see a great demand for this in the marketplace.
  • Reply 10 of 85
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 583member

It's not clear if the Nexus phones are subsidized or not. I would imagine that are unsubsidized. Each person/member of a household would be required to have paid full price up front for the Nexus 6 to be able to make use of this plan, no?

I'm not sure MVNO subscribers care that much about a Nexus 6. This seems to be marketed to Nexus 6 owners, yet I don't see how this marginally more affordable plan will move the needle of Nexus sales. A few Android dorks will bite, but who else?

• Reply 11 of 85
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member

Project F*ck it.

"Google says that their handset will automatically switch between Wi-Fi, Sprint, and T-Mobile, depending on which service offers the strongest signal in a particular location."

And if only Verizon or AT&T has signal in a particular location.... F*ck it.

• Reply 12 of 85
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Awesome. I'm sure all eight Nexus 6 owners will be thrilled.

Seriously, I have YET to see one in person. And I make a specific effort to notice what phones people have.
  • Reply 13 of 85
    Meaningless just like Google Fiber. Designed to make Google look good (marketing gimmick). This is no different than a store offering a product below cost (loss leader) to get people in the store.

If Google wants to shake up Internet or wireless they need to make it widely available. Limiting it to a small number of users (Nexus 6) or communities (Five) doesn't benefit enough people, nor will it do much to cause existing providers to be more competitive.
  • Reply 14 of 85

If you use mostly wifi and very little data, could be interesting(assuming you don't mind carrying a massive phone).   For data hogs like myself, not very tempting.   I would have thought they would undercut the price per gigabyte substantially, but this is about the same the other carriers, and more expensive once you go over 4 or 5 gigabytes on an individual plan.  On the flip side, the traveling and included tethering a nice perks.  Not a huge shift, but maybe a start in the right direction.  Anything that will continue the trend of turning the carriers into dumb pipes is a good thing.

• Reply 15 of 85
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Not that great.

Does T-mobile impose arbitrary restrictions on what you may do with the data? I.e. do they charge extra if you're funneling the data to another device?

• Reply 16 of 85
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    The question is what happen when the Sprint and T-mobile has increased or peak demand needs. Does those Google users get throttle back. When you piggybacking on someone else services you usually get knock off when the primary user needs the service.

I also wonder if Google will force you to their website when you do a search. I like when you access a hotel wireless network and they first force you to their website to agree to their T&C or pay a user fee. I bet google will make user go the google way only.

AT&T leases it long distance fibers across the country and I know when they have peak demands or during an emergency they can throttle back or knock off those who are leasing the lines. I would imagine Sprint and T-mobile would have the same situation and will not allow google users to over take their services.
  • Reply 17 of 85
    What a honey-trap!

Google with its NSA-like hunger for data will gain access to our cell phone use and tracking as well as mobile web, im and email data.

With Google there is always a hidden agenda...
  • Reply 18 of 85
    Meaningless just like Google Fiber. Designed to make Google look good (marketing gimmick). This is no different than a store offering a product below cost (loss leader) to get people in the store.

If Google wants to shake up Internet or wireless they need to make it widely available. Limiting it to a small number of users (Nexus 6) or communities (Five) doesn't benefit enough people, nor will it do much to cause existing providers to be more competitive.
    Don't you think it's smart to walk before you run, particularly with a service that's dependent on carriers playing along? A limited roll-out to determine any early issues is the only smart way to do so.
  • Reply 18 of 85
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

The question is who is providing cell service, what happen when the primary owner user of the service has increased demand or peak demand need, Does those Google users get throttle back. When you piggybacking on someone else services you usually get knock off when they primary user needs the service.

I also wonder if Google will force you to their website when you do a search. I like when you access a hotel wireless network and they first force you to their website to agree to their T&C or pay a user fee. I bet google will make user go the google way only.

I read on The Verge (take that for whatever it's worth) that Google's service piggybacks on top of Sprint and T-Mobile, plus WiFi. Whichever service you happen to be using (based on signal strength) will be the one which adds to your data usage.

EDIT:  Ignore my post. This was all addressed in the story. 

• Reply 20 of 85
    sog35 wrote: »
    Mine is $100 for 2 lines, true unlimited 4G-LTE
    Gotcha.